Adjustments during the game (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems to me that this is one of the reasons that we are 6-2. Coach Payton is very good at making adjustments during the game, and so is Brees. Last week when the run wasn't working, we went to the pass. Brees' fourth quarter qb rating is really high. He figures out during the game what the defense is giving him and by the fourth quarter, he exploits it. He's so smart that I think this is a part of the game that he really enjoys--figuring out the puzzle of how the other team is attacking and then going after their weaknesses.

I know that this is how it's supposed to work, but I think that these two are particularly good at it.

He figures out during the game what the defense is giving him and by the fourth quarter, he exploits it. He's so smart that I think this is a part of the game that he really enjoys--figuring out the puzzle of how the other team is attacking and then going after their weaknesses.

I know that this is how it's supposed to work, but I think that these two are particularly good at it.

As Saints fans, we're just not used to it from our QB and Coaches :ezbill:

The Montana 49er's, the T. Brady Pats, the Staubach and Aikman Cowboys, the P. Manning Colts, etc. are/were masters of it.

You nailed it right there. Brees' 4th Quarter QB rating is very good. He has gotten better as the game goes on. He is smart enough to make the adjustments and the coaching staff is good a picking up on necessary adjustments too. But of course, you have to execute those adjustments too.

I have a feeling that there will be many adjustments needed as this Steeler team will be playing with an energy they have lacked all season.

This is what good coaches do. They also seem to set up plays or schems for later in the game. Payton likes to get you think one thing and then once he has the 'd' thinking that "hey this is the only thing they could be doing on this play" he does something else.

all well and good, but the D needs to make the right adjustments, too. the baltimore game is a good example. also, the 2 minute defense needs to tighten.

The best example I can offer is the Chargers vs Steelers this year. In the first half, the Steelers curtain was tightly shutting LT's run and led 10-3. They boxed the front and dared Rivers to throw. And he did and won the game by his throwing. Strange to say, the Steelers never made the significant adjustment in the 2nd half to counter Rivers' throw, maybe they tried but failed. They wold probably do the same thing to the Saints in the first half.

This is JMHO, but I think is very difficult for a defense to completely shut down an offense's passing & rushing game. It seems to be one or the other, and this is where the adjustments come in - go with what's working until it stops working, and then switch modes. Of course - you have to have the personnel to do so, and you also seek balance in your offense. (The Raiders are not a good example - they have no QB!)

The Baltimore game is a perfect example of how a team shuts itself down, and makes itself one dimensional We constantly gave them a short field with turnovers and poor special teams play, and gave ourselves a long field with penalties on special teams. 14 easy points off turnovers was the killer, however. Not taking anything from their victory, but you talk about a team self-destructing.... heh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom