Question Advertising - How much does it affect YOU? (1 Viewer)

As a kid in the late 90s, I remember Budweiser and Coca Cola were plastered on the scoreboard as I played little league baseball.
When I started to watch Saints football for the first time around 2000, I remember Bud Light being mentioned every third sentence or a bump before FOX went back into the game.
I remember buying Abercrombie and Fitch shirts, even though I do not know what they sell, except for shirts with their company's name on them.
As I'm typing this, I'm wearing a Nike shirt. Without the name. Just the swoosh on the shirt.
I think I've become numb to advertising.

When I drive on I-49/90 from Shreveport to the Westbank, I know that if I'm ever in a car accident, or have a maritime injury, I should call Gordon McKernan. Actually, his billboards stop at Morgan City, but on one trip we counted from the 1st in Shreveport on I-20, down the Morgan City. I think it was over 50.

I watch advertising sometimes because I find it entertaining. I even have my own running jokes about advertising I've used in my stand-up routine. Like lint-free or odorless toilet paper.

Occasionally it may lead me to research something I might be interested in, but I don't buy anything on the veracity of advertising alone. We've done a great bit of household purging and it feels awesome. I have cleaned out my closet, only keeping the stuff I'll actually wear. There is one Saints jacket I cannot part with, I just never wear it (suede, a gift). Where my hobby is concerned I have a sizable stash of kits, electronics and supplies I know I will one day use as time comes to build one of the kits or create a diorama. I only purchase stuff like expendables (paint, glue, plaster, etc). I have actually talked myself out of buying some kits for the stash, no matter the advertising, for reasons. The only kit purchases I make now are for commissions, where I set my personal work aside.

Same thing with electronics. My two year old iPad pro works just as well as the newest gee-gaw on the market. Tempted to buy a Surface or Surface Pro? Yep. Going to. No. Research indicates I don't need to for many reasons. the advertising is cool and all, but nothing in an ad can show me what I need to know before I can go from a perfectly good iPhone 6S to an iPhone X.

goes based on need/or a practical desire and then i debate over it for awhile

my current item

one of these dollar shave club services, i hesitate to spend the local store prices on good blades and the disposable razors , even with the good blade name dont seem to be very good

also have looked at the Rockwell razors - they are like the razor many of our grandfathers uses , they open like a "butterfly" but they dont look like a good shave to me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom