Advertising to kids (1 Viewer)

I think it depends on the product. Cigarettes? Not cool. Fast food? Probably not cool depending on how it is done. But at the same time, if a company makes and sells a kid product, how can you tell if the advertising is directed at the kids and not more generally at whomever actually buys it ? Seems pretty subjective.

toys? Genius

I spent the last two weeks trying to get my hands on a Hatchimal - They MADE this thing the toy of 2016 thru advertising. Was languishing on shelves for $49.99....

NOW? You cant FIND ONE and if you do, its EBAY for $200 PER.

Insane

there will be no pole

thats what you think

tumblr_n4ctpvG1HE1tne3oro1_500.gif

I remember in some mass media class studying about how early cartoons would go to commercials and advertise products with the characters. It was done in such a way that the kids could not tell that it had gone to commercial/could not distinguish the difference. I don't remember much about it but I do remember that this is a more complex subject when you get into psychological development.

I remember in some mass media class studying about how early cartoons would go to commercials and advertise products with the characters. It was done in such a way that the kids could not tell that it had gone to commercial/could not distinguish the difference. I don't remember much about it but I do remember that this is a very complex subject when you get into psychological development.

yeah, so i was listening to this on the Stuff you should know podcast (Should Advertising to Kids Be Banned? | Stuff You Should Know)
something like until the age of 5-6 kids really can't distinguish the show from advertising
until 13, they can tell the difference, but not really how the difference is significant

When I was a kid, I thought it was really stupid that there were so many ads aimed at me, especially all the sugary cereals with their idiotic cartoon mascots (why did so many of them have to resort to stealing kids' cereal?) because my mom did the grocery shopping, not me. Apparently, other kids moms would actually say yes when their kids asked them for Chocolate-frosted Sugar Bombs, just not mine.

Toy ads made sense, because, duh.

My kids only ever watch Netflix or Amazon Prime, it seems, so the only time they're exposed to TV commercials is when there's a game on.

When I was a kid, I thought it was really stupid that there were so many ads aimed at me, especially all the sugary cereals with their idiotic cartoon mascots (why did so many of them have to resort to stealing kids' cereal?) because my mom did the grocery shopping, not me. Apparently, other kids moms would actually say yes when their kids asked them for Chocolate-frosted Sugar Bombs, just not mine.

Toy ads made sense, because, duh.

My kids only ever watch Netflix or Amazon Prime, it seems, so the only time they're exposed to TV commercials is when there's a game on.

Kids love Kix for what Kix has got - Moms love Kix for what Kix is not.

This thread reminded me, one of my kids used to call the commercials "shows". As in, mom, my favorite show is on, and it would be a commercial.

That darn Snuggle bear, my daughter at about age three, said mom, if I can have that bear for Christmas, I don't want anything else.

Absolutely, how else can we program them to become good little American Consumers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom