Advice Needed for our first game/Dome visit!! (1 Viewer)

cazint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
So just purchased tickets last night for this Monday's game vs the Colts and are super excited!!! We're driving in from out of state, and plan to make a nice weekend of visiting New Orleans.

Questions regarding gameday:
  • We have two options: get dropped off and take an Uber/Lyft back to the Hotel in Metairie or deal with parking. I'm guessing the cost is about a wash. Right now, at 1 p.m. CST, a Lyft costs about 12 bucks to go from Poydras to the hotel, although I'm guessing it'll increase, perhaps dramatically, after the game. Any strong opinions here (parking vs drop off and Uber/Lyft to get out)??
  • If we do go the parking route:
    • what are the options, keeping cost $25 or lower?
    • do you prebook the spots?
    • When should one arrive to get that parking spot and leaving enough time for the walk to the Dome, lines to get in, etc.?
  • If we do the drop off route:
    • Kickoff is 7:15 p.m. When is a good time to arrive *outside* the Superdome?
    • My son has never been to a game, and I know he'll love every second in and around the Dome...but just trying to judge how early to arrive. Is there too early?
    • For full disclosure, the plan was to visit downtown around noon-ish, eat at Mr B's (gotta have that shrimp!!), and just enjoy the street car, scenery, etc. Guessing that'll bring us to around 4 p.m., just three hours before the game.
Any other advice or heads up would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Okay, lesson learned...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...don't ask for advice on the Monday after a loss when the board is in meltdown. While I think many of you have valuable insights and would be happy to share, my guess is that this post simply got lost within all the others.

So, just trying again on a Wednesday morning...

I can't comment on parking vs. lyft/uber as I always walk from the FQ. I imagine the ride share will be in surge pricing, probably pretty expensive. But maybe a short walk away from the Dome you can get out of the surge range.

I think getting there around 4 would be good. I don't know who is playing at Championship Square, but you guys can hang out and listen to music. Walk around the Done and check out the different statues, visit the Saints shop, etc...

You'll spend more taking an Uber to/from Metaire than you would spend in parking. If you want to park, I recommend downloading the "Premium Parking" app and reserving a parking spot ahead of time for the game. I looked just now, and they're available for about $12 to park approx. half mile from stadium for Monday night (don't think they've updated the pricing to reflect an event yet... so might want to jump on that.. it's normally about $40 on gameday!). Avoid parking garages and park in an outdoor lot, because you'll get stuck in the garages for 1-2 hours after the game. Once you download the app, check out lots P184, P146, P110, P169, and P167.

As poster above said, 4:00 to 5:00 would give y'all plenty of time to see everything. By 6:00, the lines to get into the Dome will be a little crazy because of the metal detectors and people using their phones to get into the game. I like to be in the Dome about an hour before kickoff.

EPIC help...this is what I was looking for. Already booked my spot via Premium Parking...and guessing that you are right, 12 bucks seems quite cheap all things considered!

Not sure what to expect from these "unmonitored lots" though. Ppl, who simply don't care or don't know any better, may end up parking there (of course they can get towed and will pay a hefty fine). The fine print simply says to call their 800 number and that we'll be directed to another available lot. Yikes! So let's hope for the best.

My nephew enjoys taking part in the pre-game activities before games. I'd say get there 2 or so hours before to let your kid enjoy the outside atmosphere.

I agree that you should reserve a parking spot in advance with the premium parking app on your phone. You'll walk 1/2 a mile or so, but it's not that bad and a lot of people will be doing the same.

You'll have a good time, but be warned, the leg room sucks in the Dome seats.

Since this is the first Saints game, I would get into the Superdome at least 2 hours before the game, so to spend enough time going around, watching players warm-up. Walking to the dome with all the fans are the best experience on the game day. Joking with the opponent's fans on the way, have a good laugh and enjoy the good time!

Not sure what to expect from these "unmonitored lots" though. Ppl, who simply don't care or don't know any better, may end up parking there (of course they can get towed and will pay a hefty fine). The fine print simply says to call their 800 number and that we'll be directed to another available lot. Yikes! So let's hope for the best.

I've parked in P167 for 3 games this year and had no issues finding a spot (even with less than an hour till kick a few times, haha). If you're going to park about 3 hours prior to kick, you'll have no issues finding a spot! Good luck.

I've parked in P167 for 3 games this year and had no issues finding a spot (even with less than an hour till kick a few times, haha). If you're going to park about 3 hours prior to kick, you'll have no issues finding a spot! Good luck.
P167 certainly looked like a winner when I checked each of the ones you mentioned. That happens to be the exact one I booked. Thanks again.

What is the location of the lot?

Edit. Found it. That's not bad but not too great either. You won't have trouble with the lot itself but there will be some delay leaving after the game. Still you could do worse.

I like to park on Baronne betwen Girod and Julia. There's a lot behind an old school, and I paid $30 for the Panthers game. Baronne is one way toward the Pontchartrain Expy, which takes you right to I-10 and back to Metairie. I suspect you'll pay a lot more with Uber/Lyft, but I can't say for sure as I've never used them on game days.

It's been a few years since I've been a regular at home games. As long as they didn't develop under the bridges by Louisiana garment, I suggest driving yourself, and getting there around 8 for a noon game.

Take airline dr from metairie into the city. Take a right on Galvez. Cross poydras, then take a left on Lafayette. Anywhere up in there has always been the best in/out for me ( I think I used to be successful between Prieur and Roman). Also, bring an armful of drinks and enjoy them as you take in the tailgate on your way to the dome. Chances are, you'll be able to snag some good treats off of one of many bbq pits, you'll just need to do some mild sweet talking to the chef. I used to always stop by the short bus and catch up on any gameday-morning drama with the league, always good people and good food going on there.

With any luck, the whole area is off limits now, and you'll curse me for suggesting to drive to the game.

P167 certainly looked like a winner when I checked each of the ones you mentioned. That happens to be the exact one I booked. Thanks again.

P167 is hard to get a spot in because it is generally filled with Campers and tailgaters. Also, it's more difficult to get to I think, because coming from Metairie, it's easier and faster to come from the back of the French Quarter* than from the CBD. From this direction, lot P167 is on the wrong side of Loyola. Also, I doubt the people who park there check the reserve map and I doubt anyone is going to come tow them. I Use P146 around the corner instead. That is where I park for every game. However, either place is great to walk down to the dome from. There will be plenty of people partying in the lots along the way to the dome. If you are having a few beers, pro-tip: look for the guys selling beer from their ice chests. It's much cheaper than buying from legit spots. I usually tell them I'll buy 3 for $10 and they say OK. I generally get there a couple hours early. For Monday night games, the atmosphere is generally better and there are more people hanging around for longer, so don't worry about going too early.

* Fastest way to get to downtown to park:

1) Get on I-10 in Metairie. Try to stay in the right most lane.
2) Take the Carrollton Exit, but stay in the right lane and go back to I-10 instead of taking the left exit onto Carrollton or veering off to Airline. This will put you in the proper lane without having to force your way over in tight traffic.
3) Trust me, stay in the right most lane and take the I-10 side of the I-10 / Hwy 90 split. Everyone will be trying to take the Superdome / Poydras exits and you will sit forever if you try, too.
4) Go to the Vieux Carre Exit and take it. It will put you out on Basin Street which turns into Loyola on the other side of Canal.
5) One block after Canal turn left onto Common which will automatically make you turn right again. This is the street both the parking lots we mentioned are on. The traffic will be a little congested on Common, but just pull into the lot and park and walk from there.

This method usually takes me from Metairie to parking at most in 20 minutes. Monday night traffic is usually a bit heavier, but not that bad overall if you avoid the Superdome / Poydras exits

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom