Advice on a 2012 DC (1 Viewer)

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished installing Server 2012 Essentials on our new server. It will function as a domain controller for a small 15 computer office.

Its sole duty will be to host a few Excel files and an application requiring MSSQL Express. The thing will get little use.

In reading, it is recommended that SQL not be installed on a DC computer. Is this mainly for a performance reasons? Is it a big no no or just not recommended? From what I have read, I might run into a couple of security issues to get around.

I had been running the same setup on a Win2000 Server for years with no problems. If I am in for a nightmare, what running a virtual server be an acceptable work around?

Its just for performance reasons. Sql loves ram and loves every resource it can use so you can see potential issues with proper delegation between the dc and users if it is being taxed. For a 15 user environment and sql express..im sure you will be ok as that isnt the norm for a dc environment anyway.

Its just for performance reasons. Sql loves ram and loves every resource it can use so you can see potential issues with proper delegation between the dc and users if it is being taxed. For a 15 user environment and sql express..im sure you will be ok as that isnt the norm for a dc environment anyway.

I agree.

It does kind of depend on the amount of available RAM. There is the possibility of the application conflicting with DC functions which would make using hyper v with two servers an option, but then you'd need more ram than on one box alone.

I know you can limit the amount of RAM SQL uses in the enterprise edition, but no idea if possible on the express. I'd highly recommend limiting it so that the OS doesn't get starved.

It does kind of depend on the amount of available RAM. There is the possibility of the application conflicting with DC functions which would make using hyper v with two servers an option, but then you'd need more ram than on one box alone.

I know you can limit the amount of RAM SQL uses in the enterprise edition, but no idea if possible on the express. I'd highly recommend limiting it so that the OS doesn't get starved.
good points, but i'm pretty sure sql express is limited to 1gb per instance (edit- though that may be per core/4 cores, I forgot which.. I remember running into this before in a 2 host vcenter cluster).

ahh yes here we go: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx#CrossBoxScale looks like:

Maximum memory utilized (SQL Server Database Engine) 1 GB (last column = express)

Thanks for all the replies. It has 10GB of ram installed. Like I said, the same exact setup on a 12 year old W2k server has performed well for what we do so hopefully we will be fine.

I am not a networking expert. I originally setup a DC for learning purposes and to make it easier to create new user accounts as our sales department had a huge turn over for a while. I am sure there were better ways than what I have done.

Thanks again.

These days its easily suggested since virtualizing is so common. I often set small offices up with ESXi and 2 or more servers. This way I can give SQL is own little home.

These days its easily suggested since visualizing is so common. I often set small offices up with ESXi and 2 or more servers. This way I can give SQL is own little home.

I just suggested Hyper-v as 2008 included the full version with a licensed copy so 2012 should have as well. ESXi is a great free program (we've been running VMWare for 5 years now), but I believe is limited to 1 physical CPU when free. When I hear server, I think minimum 2 CPU's, but I am a bit spoiled in our ability to procure. It actually has more to do with our programmers not understanding how to optimize forcing us to build hardware that can handle massive load and IO.

for such a small load, sql express should be perfectly fine, as you said, sqlexpress is limited on the resources it will let you use. but it is more than plenty to serve quite a bit.
really depends on your usage of it though. How much it is doing.. and you did state it was fine with a win2k server.. well, 2012 server has a lot more capacity. and much more efficient than win2k from what i've read.
Though it isn't recommended. it is many times better at doing it that way, than what you were using.
Just make sure you do backups, what i'd like to see more having a 2nd machine capable of at least being a "limp along", to do the same thing than trying to put them on seperate boxes.. That way, when something goes wrong, you can get out of outage situation faster, and be able to stay open for business.

I just suggested Hyper-v as 2008 included the full version with a licensed copy so 2012 should have as well. ESXi is a great free program (we've been running VMWare for 5 years now), but I believe is limited to 1 physical CPU when free. When I hear server, I think minimum 2 CPU's, but I am a bit spoiled in our ability to procure. It actually has more to do with our programmers not understanding how to optimize forcing us to build hardware that can handle massive load and IO.
as a vmware fanboy, I love esxi. to be honest though, citrix xenserver (no hardware limitations is a plus) is probably the best of the three if you include hyper-v core into the discussion for free hypervisors. it is so stable and easy to maintain. hyper-v core isn't bad at all. it just requires tweaking, but I just don't like it as a server role.

AFAIK, CPUs are unlimited in 5, but ram is not. 32GB

VMware vSphere Hypervisor Requirements for Free Virtualization

I originally download the free trial When I open the vSphere client, it tell me that the evaluation license will expire in x days. In order to manage these machines you must first obtain and assign a license to your esxi host. Then there is a link to "assign a license to the host" but when I click on the link, it more or less brings me back tot he free trial page.

I originally download the free trial When I open the vSphere client, it tell me that the evaluation license will expire in x days. In order to manage these machines you must first obtain and assign a license to your esxi host. Then there is a link to "assign a license to the host" but when I click on the link, it more or less brings me back tot he free trial page.

i'm pretty sure you had to register on the vmware site to download the .iso.

after you sign in on the vmware.com website, go to: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi5&lp=default

on that page should be the key or it will ask you to register blah blah

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom