Advice on killing mice (1 Viewer)

Update

humanemousetrap.jpg

Works well for what cats can't get, two traps would get 10 in a day if you empty a few times. I'd kill any poisoned mice instead of releasing them.

After close inspection, I have figured out that there is only one way that they are coming in...through the dryer vent and dryer hose. Apparently, they have eaten a hole through the hose and are entering/exiting there. I decided to visit Lowe's today to see what options they had. Their main product was the Tomcat block baits, which so far have proven ineffective. They also had the Victor traps that Severum posted. Since one was only $4, I decided to try it out. Got home just a little while ago, put a dap of peanut butter into the corner, and proceeded to place it close to the washer and dryer. Now, I wait. Whatever I do catch will end up in a bucket of water for my amusement since I have had to clean up all of their little poops. I want to see how long they can swim. :)

Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone. I may end up needing to try other things if this doesn't work, but I'm thinking it will. If anyone has any other thoughts, feel free to share.

Jeremy

Borrow someones cat -- after awhile the mice will leave because of the predator in the house

make that mouse trap that bclemms described...

and post pics...

make that mouse trap that bclemms described...

and post pics...

If that Victor trap that I bought doesn't work, that may very well be my next step. Heck, I might even make it even if the trap does work because it sounds neat!

About 5 years ago, we got two cats. My wife does not like cats, but she hates mice even more. We haven't seen a mouse in 5 years -- inside or outside.

Since the last cold front came through we have mice running wild again. I will make one of my mouse traps and post some pics. The only problem is I have 4 dogs that will seek and destroy some peanut butter so there are only a couple places I can put it.

mousetrap.jpg

De-Con is the poison that makes them thirsty. Its possible that you have them getting in some other way also... such as via the roof and through vent pipes if they are not covered with window screen. One year when they were super plentiful and living near a cane field, we were overrun with them...all the poison would disapear in a week's time. Early one morning, I witnessed a mouse come down from the roof through a wall heater (heater was not in use at the time as it was hot). After screen was placed over all vents, the mice were gone within a week, never to return. Point is: stop their entry to end the problem.

Last edited:
This works...

There is a poison that once it is ingested, the mice or rats get thirsty, leave the house in search of water and when they drink water, it activates the part of the poison that kills them in 14 min. I got it at Ace Hardware on Magazine St. I think that it looks like a granola bar.

But did anyone try this? This is an incredible idea!! Any pics?!

You could get a 5 gallon bucket and a coke can. You get the handle of the 5 gallon bucket and either glue or tape the wire handle to where it is facing straight up (as if you were carrying it). Then you cut the actual plastic piece on the handle with wire cutters. Take the empty coke can and punch a small hole in the center of the bottom can. After doing this take the wire handle and put the end of the wire on each side of the coke can.

The coke can should now be in the center of the wire handle and the can should spin freely. The handle should also be standing straight up and pretty sturdy. You now have a mouse trap and all you have to do is fill the bucket halfway up with water and spread peanut butter all over the can.

All you have to do now is place the bucket where the mice can get to it. If you don't have any low shelves just place a small board going up to the bucket.

The mice will smell the peanut butter and try to jump on the can to eat and when they land on it the can spins putting them right in the water. In one night you can rack up.

You could get a 5 gallon bucket and a coke can. You get the handle of the 5 gallon bucket and either glue or tape the wire handle to where it is facing straight up (as if you were carrying it). Then you cut the actual plastic piece on the handle with wire cutters. Take the empty coke can and punch a small hole in the center of the bottom can. After doing this take the wire handle and put the end of the wire on each side of the coke can.

The coke can should now be in the center of the wire handle and the can should spin freely. The handle should also be standing straight up and pretty sturdy. You now have a mouse trap and all you have to do is fill the bucket halfway up with water and spread peanut butter all over the can.

All you have to do now is place the bucket where the mice can get to it. If you don't have any low shelves just place a small board going up to the bucket.

The mice will smell the peanut butter and try to jump on the can to eat and when they land on it the can spins putting them right in the water. In one night you can rack up.

Don't know how well this would work, but it sounds brilliant. Seriously.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom