After Saints-Rams, the NFL has a pass-interference problem. The CFL might have the solution- Delvin Breaux (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Delvin Breaux watched the now-infamous no-call live from Section 102 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, about six rows up from field level. He saw Nickell Robey-Coleman collide with Tommylee Lewis and wondered, incredulously, why New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton wasn't challenging the missed pass interference call.
"Man, that’s BS!" Breaux thought. "Come on Payton, throw the challenge flag out there!’

Payton, of course, couldn't challenge the play, because pass interference is not reviewable in the NFL. But there was good reason for Breaux's confusion. The New Orleans native — and former Saints cornerback — now plays with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League, so he's grown accustomed to the CFL's way of doing things.
"I got all caught up in the moment," he recalled to USA TODAY Sports last week, "and forgot this is the NFL."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-could-benefit-from-cfl-influence/2905037002/

Sounds like an easy, clean solution, "IF" the NFL is willing to let their officials have less impact on game outcomes. Apparently to CFL players, this is handled through challenges.

Duh. Allowing challenges for bad calls is an obviously good idea, almost as obvious as Robey-Coleman"s penalty (ies).

The answer is simple. Every play is reviewed by the league anyway. On egregiously missed penalties/fumbles/spots/ etc, have the replay official call a huddle of the referees to discuss the play, and see if there should be a changed outcome. Like how college football checks every flagged hit for targeting.

Anything should be challenge-able.

It's such a simple fix. But it's too difficult a concept for Roger "CLOWN" Goodell to comprehend. I've met smarter bed sheets.

The answer is simple. Every play is reviewed by the league anyway. On egregiously missed penalties/fumbles/spots/ etc, have the replay official call a huddle of the referees to discuss the play, and see if there should be a changed outcome. Like how college football checks every flagged hit for targeting.

If only "simple and logical" we're concepts easily understood with the league office!

I don't condone this but would the ref stopped the game and review the call if fans started throwing stuff onto the field causing a disruption?

Really good stuff Watt! Does College ball really review the majority of penalties called? Thx again

Really good stuff Watt! Does College ball really review the majority of penalties called? Thx again
In college, just helmet to helmet and really hard hits are reviewed to determine if targeting was present. They do have a challenge system, and the review official will step in occasionally and alert the referee that he needs to take a closer look at something.

The NFL reviews every play in New York. They just don't interfere except on turnovers and scoring plays. Essentially, they would just expand the scope of an already occurring practice.

I don't condone this but would the ref stopped the game and review the call if fans started throwing stuff onto the field causing a disruption?

Absolutely not, if anything, the Saints would get penalized for delay of game iirc. Fans have thrown stuff on fields before, and without fail, refs have always stood by their calls. They're certainly not going to review an uncalled PI and same goes for the PF part.

The NFL doesn't want a solution. The ambiguity in calls and the inability to challenge them is a feature, not a bug.

The NFL doesn't want a solution. The ambiguity in calls and the inability to challenge them is a feature, not a bug.

So true. As long as we care about it, and complain about it, they're happy. They know they own us.

Only way to get their attention is to stop caring.

Darn you Bonchie. I know that you know the NFL extremely well. I did not want to hear that from you. That thought crossed my mind and I immediately dismissed it. Frankly that is scary to me, quite scary that the NFL would want that level of game control over credibility with the fans, sponsors and betting community.

Take care and stay warm!

In college, just helmet to helmet and really hard hits are reviewed to determine if targeting was present. They do have a challenge system, and the review official will step in occasionally and alert the referee that he needs to take a closer look at something.

The NFL reviews every play in New York. They just don't interfere except on turnovers and scoring plays. Essentially, they would just expand the scope of an already occurring practice.

Watt - you really do good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to explain all this. If the NFL adopted NCAA football type reviews, do you think it would make the games much longer?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom