After some serious thought.... (1 Viewer)

TheMike62987

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
and some time to weigh out my options, I've come to the realization that choosing to join an armed service division may be a reasonable option for me.

There was a little debate going on in a thread I created about me being laid off from my company, and after letting some of the things marinate in my brain for a while, I've narrowed it down to the Air Force or the Navy.

Anybody here have any first hand experience with either of these divisions?

and some time to weigh out my options, I've come to the realization that choosing to join an armed service division may be a reasonable option for me.

There was a little debate going on in a thread I created about me being laid off from my company, and after letting some of the things marinate in my brain for a while, I've narrowed it down to the Air Force or the Navy.

Anybody here have any first hand experience with either of these divisions?

I don't, but I have 2 buddies that joined up the Army. One at about your age, the other at around 30. One was deployed in Iraq, the other is about to go. They have no regrets. My buddy who came back from Iraq came back with a ton of money in his bank account because you're getting paid to not spend any money.

Anyway, good luck.

I'm prior Navy, and my brother is currently in the USAF. That being said, the Air Force is the only way to go. They get to have a life and serve. I was stuck on the water the majority of my time.

I'm prior Navy, and my brother is currently in the USAF. That being said, the Air Force is the only way to go. They get to have a life and serve. I was stuck on the water the majority of my time.

I looked up Navy info, and there are choices like enlisted for 4 yrs, or enlisted officer. Which is the career choice. I'm looking to join and be done in 20 yrs.

Don't do it.
Seriously. Don't.

Mike, I respect you as a poster on this board and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the armed services. But If I were you, I would join the Navy and be proud of my decision to do so. Not bashing the USAF at all because my Dad served in a C1-30 gun ship in Vietnam but the risks are maybe a bit more higher in that line of duty then the Navy. I have a good HS buddy of mine who is currently serving in a nuclear submarine and has always professed that the Navy is the best thing he could have ever done for a career. Good food, good quarters, if you are a claustrophobic that may be a problem but you can work that out if you serve on a ship instead of a submarine. As a fellow poster and as a friend, if you chose to serve this country in its armed services, go with the Navy and be proud of it.

This is just my view, I hope you understand. I mean no disrespect to anybody who has family in the other wings of the armed forces by saying this. I respect their decisions as well.

As an Army man myself, I would recommend the Air Force. They have all the good stuff and get treated the best. Do not listen to anyone who says the military is a bad idea. There is never anything wrong with an American wanting to server his (or her) country.

My cousin wanted to jump off the boat he hated the Navy that bad, I don't know what to tell you other than that.

my dad left the army, and joined the air force.... i couldnt' make it in the usaf, but that was due to a back defect, i later found out.

there are several on here that are in the service that can be more in tune to how it is currently.. although many cant "openly" say anything.

it's a serious decision though.. Will say, if you can get in and do a full career, you will benefit greatly in the end. not that it won't be tough. Choose the career path wisely though.
usaf has a lot more to them that most realize as well.

It all depends on what he wants to get out of his experience right ? A military career is a big deal, and he needs to utilize his education and training to his advantage.

I had a few friends join when they were in their early twenties, 2 in the marines 1 in the army, and they had mixed reviews but none of em regretted the decision to join. The 2 who went to Iraq did so with pride and came back very secure financially. Good luck with your decision, wish you all the best

Since no one else posted it, and I grew up with this kind of background, maybe you should look into the Coast Guard. You can stay close to the family if you have a wife and kids(doesn't sound like it, but still). I haven't heard too many horror stories over the years of people who absolutely hated the USCG like I have with other branches. You probably won't be in as much immediate danger, depending on what exactly you're doing, but you'll still be serving your country proudly. I wouldn't want to deter you from joining any branch that needs men too, but I would still say to throw the Coast Guard into consideration. Some of the bravest men and women I've met were the ones picking people off the rooftops in August of '05

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom