After the 1st two weeks of the season the Defense has given up 1025 yards of offense. (1 Viewer)

msusaintsfan

All-Pro & Resident Ninja
Reaction score
Diamondhead, MS via Houston, Tx, via Starkville, M
That is video game numbers. We are on pace to give up over 8000 yards of offense at this point.

I can't even wrap my head around that possibility nor the fact of how much we have given up to start the season.

Seriously what do we do? Is Payton that blind to see how bad it is?

Peter Drucker once famously said that "Culture eats strategy for breakfast."

Think about Southwest Airlines relative to some of the larger legacy airlines that make roundtrips in and out of bankrupcty every other decade.

Your culture, and the expectations that your culture creates, have much more of an impact on how your team performs (whether in business, football, or whatever) than any one strategy.

Cover 2 vs Man to Man - that's strategy. What's missing from this team looks much more cultural to me.

Payton has changed every strategic aspect of defensive multiple times -
player personnel, defensive coaches, defensive schemes - he's changed it all, and none of it has worked. We're actually worse than when we started the (first) defensive rebuild.

I think its because there is a bad, bad culture on this team, especially on defense. Accountability seems to be very sporadic, which usually makes things worse if teammates see inconsistent treatment. Think about how Payton publicly trashed and threatened to trade Breaux - because he wouldn't play on a broken leg. You think players are gonna extend themselves for Payton with his $45M contract when they see that?

Bad culture starts at the top. Normally that would mean Benson, but from many reports, I think its safe to say Benson is not the day to day leader he once was (Hey, he's 90, it happens).

Payton is the face of the team, he's the highest paid coach in the NFL, and every bit of this team is reflection of HIS choices - he created the culture here (or maybe its more accurate to say he allowed to to occur). The massive disruptions from Bountygate and then epic failures in the draft and FA took what what was a really special culture (including the sub-culture of GW's defense*) and blew it into space.

I just can't tell if Payton can even see this.

*GW's defenses were a classic case of 'culture over strategy' - that was really the heart of Bountygate - GW created a strong culture on that unit that helped compensate for just OK talent. Unfortunately he couldn't co-exist with Payton and large parts of that culture weren't fit for public consumption.

Think about Southwest Airlines relative to some of the larger legacy airlines that make roundtrips in and out of bankrupcty every other decade.

Your culture, and the expectations that your culture creates, have much more of an impact on how your team performs (whether in business, football, or whatever) than any one strategy.

Cover 2 vs Man to Man - that's strategy. What's missing from this team looks much more cultural to me.

player personnel, defensive coaches, defensive schemes - he's changed it all, and none of it has worked. We're actually worse than when we started the (first) defensive rebuild.

I think its because there is a bad, bad culture on this team, especially on defense. Accountability seems to be very sporadic, which usually makes things worse if teammates see inconsistent treatment. Think about how Payton publicly trashed and threatened to trade Breaux - because he wouldn't play on a broken leg. You think players are gonna extend themselves for Payton with his $45M contract when they see that?

Bad culture starts at the top. Normally that would mean Benson, but from many reports, I think its safe to say Benson is not the day to day leader he once was (Hey, he's 90, it happens).

Payton is the face of the team, he's the highest paid coach in the NFL, and every bit of this team is reflection of HIS choices - he created the culture here (or maybe its more accurate to say he allowed to to occur). The massive disruptions from Bountygate and then epic failures in the draft and FA took what what was a really special culture (including the sub-culture of GW's defense*) and blew it into space.

*GW's defenses were a classic case of 'culture over strategy' - that was really the heart of Bountygate - GW created a strong culture on that unit that helped compensate for just OK talent. Unfortunately he couldn't co-exist with Payton and large parts of that culture weren't fit for public consumption.

Perfectly said. Good for you.

And also why it hasn't gotten better... and won't get better... no matter how many mulligan seasons we give him (just because he won us a SB)

Insane how we keep managing to top our own bad records. Every single year it's the worst in history. That takes some real talent.

This is management failure to try to keep your superstar player happy. they are doing the same exact thing with the pelicans. they were all about bringing in seasoned players that cost more requiring less coaching need but thre risk turned out bad. you see similarities with loomis being the culprit with both franchises. Thank God he saw the light. But its too late for brees but the jury is still out with anthony davis. both teams are flirting with 50% records with his management, But One Superbowl Yes!!!!

I believe that you are spot on with this. We've changed the coaching staff, replaced our starters and loaded up on depth. Yet we are still in a state where we lack accountability and the discipline to execute even when things go wrong.

I watched the Falcons, Packers game last night. The Packers found themselves in a position just we have been the 1st two games. Out played in the first half and down multiple scores in the third. They went to hurry-up and even went for it on 4th downs in the third. They had the urgency and belief that they can still win this game. And I believed they could! Its the culture that has been instilled in GB that they are never out of a game until the game is officially over.
We, on the other hand, play like its 1st qtr, taking our time, trying the run, and punting on 4th downs... This team has lost its drive to win, it's killer instinct. There is ZERO urgency. nobody talking to each other on the sidelines. Brees looks lost. Payton ignoring players feedback and the team in a state of defeat by the 10 min mark in the 3rd qtr. You can tell the team has already mailed it in and there's no hope for a comeback.

This is all culture.

I don't think anything will change on D until we start holding people accountable. Harris being out there after giving up one play after another and not knowing his assignment is unacceptable. Vacarro (I love his intensity)has been slacking mental wise. Need to bench him for at least a game.

Play Bell and Williams at the safety spots (I noticed a difference when bell came in for Vacarro yesterday)

Cut Harris and either promote Maulet, or sign Revis/McCelvin (gotta be better).

Let Anzalone play on running downs, but pull him out on passing downs. He will be a stud, he's just not quite there yet.

Our DT should be Rankins/Onyemata on all downs. Okafor should be DE opposite cam, and use Kikaha has a stand up pass rusher on 3rd down from all different areas of the field.

Scheme wise, I think we have the right scheme. The problem we are having is mental lapses by a couple players that is causing the entire defense to look lost out there, because the other guys can't trust guys like Harris, Vacarro, Pj to stay on their assignment and do their job.

Well, if we hold the Panthers and Dolphins to a combined less than 600 yards, that total number won't look nearly as bad.

Question is: Can Allen actually get these guys to do it? If I see Crawley as a healthy scratch with Harris in his place again next Sunday, I might just record the game and then skip through it on FF to the finish. If we're having communication issues in the secondary, why not play more of Bush and Moore, the only two real vets besides Vaccaro, who ended up getting benched for his play? They can't produce any worse than the guys they'd be replacing.

Wow, very well written post, something to ponder. I like that you aren't flying off the handle saying Payton's all bad or Dennis Allen needs to be fired or Loomis has got to go. You laid out a very well thought out opinion and backed it up with great examples including Gregg Williams. Well done!

As of the end of week 2, we are 32nd team in defense, and believe it or not, the #3 offense, behind New England and Kansas City. There are 9 winless in the NFL, and 4 in the NFC (one of which are the Giants, who play their game 2 tonight).

We have allowed 59 yards more than the 31st team (New England) and 103.5 from the 30th team (Jets). We have 1 turnover on defense. After 2 games this is abysmal. We all knew the first 4 games of the season were very tough, but what is being displayed on defense is disconcerting. After seeing how successful the defense was during preseason, we all imagined that they had turned things around. So far it has turned out to be a mirage.

Not to say we can't turn this around. Carolina has not been showing much in their first two games either, although they are 2-0. The season not lost, so we shouldn't be throwing in the towel yet. We all knew we had a daunting schedule for the first 4 games, but we can be 2-2 at the end of the 1 quarter of games.

As for those who want to get rid of Drew, after two games he is on track to pass for 5,176 yards, despite Payton putting more emphasis on the running game. Hopefully he stays, I would hate to think that he would achieve the records for most yards in a career with another team.

Don't panic. Discipline saves the day.

As of the end of week 2, we are 32nd team in defense, and believe it or not, the #3 offense, behind New England and Kansas City. There are 9 winless in the NFL, and 4 in the NFC (one of which are the Giants, who play their game 2 tonight).

We have allowed 59 yards more than the 31st team (New England) and 103.5 from the 30th team (Jets). We have 1 turnover on defense. After 2 games this is abysmal. We all knew the first 4 games of the season were very tough, but what is being displayed on defense is disconcerting. After seeing how successful the defense was during preseason, we all imagined that they had turned things around. So far it has turned out to be a mirage.

Not to say we can't turn this around. Carolina has not been showing much in their first two games either, although they are 2-0. The season not lost, so we shouldn't be throwing in the towel yet. We all knew we had a daunting schedule for the first 4 games, but we can be 2-2 at the end of the 1 quarter of games.

As for those who want to get rid of Drew, after two games he is on track to pass for 5,176 yards, despite Payton putting more emphasis on the running game. Hopefully he stays, I would hate to think that he would achieve the records for most yards in a career with another team.

1st Quarter 11 7 63.6 70 6.4 18 0

2nd Quarter 24 14 58.3 187 7.8 42 1

3rd Quarter 15 7 46.7 132 8.8 52 0

4th Quarter 32 26 81.2 258 8.1 27 2

Drew has just as much fault as the rest of the team. Most of his stats came in the second quarter before the half, and in the 4th quarter when we are so far behind it's too late.

Yesterday in the 4th, down by 3 scores with 10 minutes left what does he do? Proceeds to burn 5 minutes off the clock by huddling up, going to the line and running the play clock down to 0 before snapping the ball. That is not playing like you want to win...

Saying we are third in offense is very misleading. We are tied with Arizona at 16 in points per game. That is more indicative of our inability to convert in the redzone and be effective enough to stay in games. Our yardage has mostly come in garbage time with the game out of hand. So to say we are 3rd on offense is the wrong way to look at it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom