After the 1st two weeks of the season the Defense has given up 1025 yards of offense. (1 Viewer)

As of the end of week 2, we are 32nd team in defense, and believe it or not, the #3 offense, behind New England and Kansas City. There are 9 winless in the NFL, and 4 in the NFC (one of which are the Giants, who play their game 2 tonight).

We have allowed 59 yards more than the 31st team (New England) and 103.5 from the 30th team (Jets). We have 1 turnover on defense. After 2 games this is abysmal. We all knew the first 4 games of the season were very tough, but what is being displayed on defense is disconcerting. After seeing how successful the defense was during preseason, we all imagined that they had turned things around. So far it has turned out to be a mirage.

Not to say we can't turn this around. Carolina has not been showing much in their first two games either, although they are 2-0. The season not lost, so we shouldn't be throwing in the towel yet. We all knew we had a daunting schedule for the first 4 games, but we can be 2-2 at the end of the 1 quarter of games.

As for those who want to get rid of Drew, after two games he is on track to pass for 5,176 yards, despite Payton putting more emphasis on the running game. Hopefully he stays, I would hate to think that he would achieve the records for most yards in a career with another team.

Don't panic. Discipline saves the day.

Lol were you saying the same the last what 3 years? This team is 7-9 again or worse.

If it happens again this year it's time for SP to go. Front office too. They are terrible. They know our offense is great but continue...year after year to ignore the defense. I'm sick of it.

Great post!

It gets to the point.

Saw SP being interviewed years ago and he said that Bill Parcells told him he needed to go down there and destroy the losing "culture" in the Saints organization.

He was well on his way of doing that, then 2012 happened which lead to the losing culture coming back stronger than ever. It now appears to be hopeless.

I never understood why Payton hired Spags, the poster child for a 4-3 defense, then fired him a year later saying he'd been thinking about switching to a 3-4 for some time because of its advantages in disguising things.

So, here comes Ryan. Then, after he gets fired, we go back to a 4-3.

Is anyone else as bewildered by all of this as I am?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to compare to the last 4 terrible defenses by the Saints:

2012 6.5 (32nd)
2014 6.0 (31st)
2015 6.6 (32nd) NFL record worst
2016 6.0 (4 way tie for last)

Wow...That really puts into perspective..I really hope we can turn this crap around next year and get someone coaching who gives a damn..

As bad as things look on the field, that number still sounds ludicrous. That's an unheard of figure.

Just looked it up, it's actually 7.6, which would still be an NFL record, and easily.

Just to compare to the last 4 terrible defenses by the Saints:

2012 6.5 (32nd)
2014 6.0 (31st)
2015 6.6 (32nd) NFL record worst
2016 6.0 (4 way tie for last)

2007 season was also the worst in the NFL at 6.1.

No team in NFL history had ever given up 6.5 yards per play. The Saints have now done it twice and very well be on their way to doing it a 3rd time.

So Drew Brees could indeed be strapped with essentially the worst defense in the NFL for the 6th time in his 12 seasons.

As others have indicated (Bclemms specifically), Saints fans don't really comprehend the likelihood that this would happen to Brees at this high a rate. The chances are so low it can't be charted.
its amazing.

And two of those defenses are all time worst in the history of record keeping, and the possibility is still in play for this years defense to become the worst of all time.

If it happens that pairs Drew with the worst defense of all time THREE times and three of the last five years.

What are the odds of that??

I never understood why Payton hired Spags, the poster child for a 4-3 defense, then fired him a year later saying he'd been thinking about switching to a 3-4 for some time because of its advantages in disguising things.

2012 is when I fully disabused myself of the notion of this 'genius' and the handling of the DC role and defense overall was a big factor, in addition to the ego and character issues.

It didn't stop there. The decisions have kept the defense unsettled and floundering to this day with no real plan our defensive philosophy residing at the top. Just groping in the dark and trying to copy cat the Seahawks, and not being able to trust or coexist with anyone other than the likes of Dennis Alien

Scheme, coaching, talent all perennially in flux. No wonder that side of the ball is a mess.

Good HEAD coaches don't let it come to this.

2012 is when I fully disabused myself of the notion of this 'genius' and the handling of the DC role and defense overall was a big factor, in addition to the ego and character

Good HEAD coaches don't let it come to this.

It's obvious he doesn't want to win. I would love to know what the conversation between him and Goodell was back then. A HC/OC meddling in defensive schemes when he never coached that side of the ball before is nuts. Rob Ryan was never a good DC but the things he said when he got fired she'd some light on exactly what the problem is.

Spags has had pretty good D's since leaving here. It took him a few years to get some players in NY but they've had a pretty good D the last 2 years. Also, I noticed tonight that their Defensive captain is ex-Saint Cassillas.

It's obvious he doesn't want to win. I would love to know what the conversation between him and Goodell was back then. A HC/OC meddling in defensive schemes when he never coached that side of the ball before is nuts. Rob Ryan was never a good DC but the things he said when he got fired she'd some light on exactly what the problem is.
As a fan watching at arms length over the years, I do think he wNts to win. He's just got flaws that won't let him.

He can't bring himself to partner with another great coach on the defensive side that brings the yin to his yang. Trust and back off. Can't help himself on personnel decisions.

And he seems to think he can just throw the ball 40 to 50 times a game and design endless matchup packages and out score anyone. That was always an unsound approach destined to derail at some point.

He wants to win. Something compromised the quality of his decision making and lets him get distracted from solving the fundamental football issues at the LOS.

As a fan watching at arms length over the years, I do think he wNts to win. He's just got flaws that won't let him.

He can't bring himself to partner with another great coach on the defensive side that brings the yin to his yang. Trust and back off. Can't help himself on personnel decisions.

And he seems to think he can just throw the ball 40 to 50 times a game and design endless matchup packagesscore and out score anyone. That was always an unsound approach destined to derail at some point.

He wants to win. Something compromised the quality of his decision making and lets him get distracted from solving the fundamental football issues at the LOS.

Maybe he has a new girlfriend that requires a lot of attention. Maybe he hands the keys off to Brees at 2 in the afternoon and tells him to lock up.

Spags has had pretty good D's since leaving here. It took him a few years to get some players in NY but they've had a pretty good D the last 2 years. Also, I noticed tonight that their Defensive captain is ex-Saint Cassillas.

Yea. Cassillas wasn't good enough to play for the worst defense of all time? Can someone explain why we let him go?:jpshakehead:

Lol were you saying the same the last what 3 years? This team is 7-9 again or worse.

If it happens again this year it's time for SP to go. Front office too. They are terrible. They know our offense is great but continue...year after year to ignore the defense. I'm sick of it.
They are not ignoring the defense.

They just aren't any good at addressing it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom