Agree or Disagree: Keith Kirkwood is a Better Wide Receiver than Tre'Quan Smith Going Forward (1 Viewer)

Completely disagree at the stage of development they are at. Bree’s needs to trust a WR will be exactly at the right spot at exactly the right time. If he doesn’t have that connection with a WR, they won’t be getting the ball. These two, if they want to be successful, and they both can, is they need to work on route running, timing and get a comfort level with Brees. If that happens, then they will shine. If not, they will be nothing but some of the other WRs that appear and leave.

Payton has trusted them both in big games in crucial situations, so I think they have been solid in practice. The arrow is pointing up for both these young men.

Agree or disagree.. a WR is as good as he will ever be in his first year.

Your answer to that might conflict with the point you’re trying to make.
The point I am clearly making is that Drew is one of the best QB's that puts the ball in the pin point location to catch the ball...If you don't catch it ,with no interference, it's on you. You have one of the best QB's to play the game , no homer, if you run the right route... the ball will be there.

“Going forward”? Impossible to know. We can only tell you what we’ve seen so far. I’d say they’re pretty even. Both have had their moments.

both of them still need some work, and could be solid contributors next season.... neither is an out right choice over the other at this point for me....

It is hard to say but I expect both to be better next season. From my own eyes, I feel Kirkwood looks more fluid and comfortable out there in the field. Beside that one drop against Pittsburg, he has been decent. He had a good game against the first Eagles game, up till Smith got going. The catch in the playoff for the touchdown was not an easy play or catch. It required good communication and "acting job" by him to make that play happen. And to catch that touchdown on 4th down with trying to keep two feet in bound was not easy for a rookie. And he did a great job.

With Smith, he has the ability to be good. His inconsistency baffled me after the first Eagles game. You would think after that game he would of at least get 4 to 5 catches with a few more touchdown here and there but he lost confidence somewhere. He needs to learn to be more physical.

Last edited:
If you compare TQS to other Saints rookies he is like 7th in terms of catches and yards.
Right at about Kinney Stills.
Rookie WRs don't perform well especially in Saints Offense.
Unless your name is MT or Colston.

No way to know. Best case, TQS develops into a reliable deep threat that can also help us in the short and intermediate passing game too. And Kirkwood develops into a good #3 or #4 receiver that can play outside or from the slot.

Most WRs don't ball out as rookies like MT did. He's proving to be a generational talent. Those are extremely rare. I saw enough promise from both to this year to feel good about our future at the position.

Rev did a film study earlier this year on what is happening to them. In the film study, you got to see TQS and MT running identical routes at the same time on the same play. The difference was huge. The little nuances of route-running and getting separation aren't there yet for our youngsters. This offseason, they know exactly what they have to do to improve going forward.

Regardless.. I believe they'll be getting some competition soon. Meredith and some new blood.

Agree or disagree..if a WR struggles with Drew at the helm..you ain't that good.

Kind of agree. Since Drew has been here, what WR/TE has left and put up better numbers?

I mean Cooks got shipped out and put up similar numbers. There’s always an outlier, well kind of.

Face it, Smith is a bust so far. Kirkwood showed better intangibles and grit, not even close. Smith had an awful year as a rookie, just playing well two games (Was and Phila). Kenny Stills was much better in his first year.

Kirky is better RIGHT NOW, but TQS certainly has more potential and upside.

They are different types of players though IMO. TQS is very athletic and has the ability to stretch the field and make splash plays. Kirky is more of a possession type WR that will excel at finding the soft spot in a zone, catching the ball in traffic, and high pointing back shoulder throws. There is room for both of these players to co-exist and thrive in this offense.

Kirkwood for me. I got less and less impressed with Smith the longer the season got. 10 of Kirkwood’s 13 catches went for 1st downs. Dude looked hungry every game he played. Can’t say that about Smith.

Depends. Tre is the better all around athlete that’s why he was drafted. Who will be the best Player only time will tell. Not enough of a sample size for anyone to give an informed opinion

I disagree, only because Smith has a higher ceiling. Kirkwood is a tad bit longer, but Smith is more athletic. Hopefully Kirkwood will get stronger and learn to use his body more. Smith needs to get quicker and stop double catching passes. I'm looking forward to both young players developing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom