Ain't dere no more (1 Viewer)

"The one on Canal by the cemeteries."

The K&B on Canal Boulevard became a RiteAid years ago when K&B went under. The RiteAid remained closed after Katrina and opened as an obscure "Dollar Store" lookalike since 2009.

st. dave

Alright, here are some from my stomping grounds:

(1) The Fun Arcade on Vets. Spent way too much time and money there in my middle-school years. Now the site of Cyrus Restaurant.

(2) House of Lee. Along with "the beer store", became the site of Borders which is now also "ain't dere no more". Trivia question for old timers like me: What four words were printed on the entry arch (on the left hand side of the building) in small print? Let's see who gets it first....

(3) Al Copeland's house on Folse and Transcontinental, all lit up for Christmas Eve. Both he and the house ain't dere no more.

(4) Bruning's... (original) knocked down by Hurricane Georges, (temp site) knocked out by Katrina.

(5) Metairie High School - main building. Replaced with a modern one-story brick structure in late sixties, which is easily seen on Metairie Road. The school itself changed to Metairie Middle around 1955, then became Vernon C. Haynes Middle, then Vernon C. Haynes Jr. High, then Vernon C. and Gilda Haynes Jr. High, then middle, now back to to a high school as Haynes Academy. A new Haynes Academy is being built in Kennerbra; wonder what will become of the current site.

Attachments

• funarcade.JPG
    funarcade.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 47
  • HouseOfLee.jpg
    HouseOfLee.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 46
  • copeland.jpg
    copeland.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 729
  • Brunings.jpg
    Brunings.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 729
  • Metairie High School.jpg
    Metairie High School.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 725
Along with "the beer store", became the site of Borders which is now also "ain't dere no more".

Ah, the Beer Store. It was so easy to get beer there when I was underage. We used to hang out in the parking lot across the street to drink whatever we bought. I loved that place.

Al Copeland's house on Folse and Transcontinental, all lit up for Christmas Eve. Both he and the house ain't dere no more.

What happened to the house?

Algiers Regional Library

Before:

ardemo.jpg

After:

algiers-library-temporaryjpg-5a43f64515476330.jpg

:jpshakehead:

LMAO@ the library. Welcome to Louisiana.

Im as fiscally conseravative as anybody out there. But Jeez. Too put that little hut there is a joke. Im sure there are tons on non-profits/charities and grants out there that could have done a better job. Shucks, they could have put a Books-A-Million right there and it would have been better than that crap! And Im sure NOLA received some FEMA money for that library.

Lots of hours spent after school in that library, keeping me off the streets.

Im as fiscally conseravative as anybody out there. But Jeez. Too put that little hut there is a joke. Im sure there are tons on non-profits/charities and grants out there that could have done a better job. Shucks, they could have put a Books-A-Million right there and it would have been better than that crap! And Im sure NOLA received some FEMA money for that library.

Lots of hours spent after school in that library, keeping me off the streets.

I do believe I heard Christian Palmer or whoever represents that area say a new library is in the works. Matter of fact that whole area is already pegged for new construction, along with that horrid street (the worst road in the entire world) being repaved.

i believe it was torn down....

Wow - had no idea. Did a search and confirmed. Thanks, pop.

It's cool that they gave all the fixtures, doors, appliances, etc. to Habitat for Humanity. I've volunteered a few times for Habitat, and it's really rewarding.

It also makes me appreciate everything that I have.

Still, sad about the house though. I used to ride my bike on the levee behind the house and use that entrance there to come and go on Transcontinental.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom