Ain't dere no more (1 Viewer)

I lived in the Sunlake Apts that were right next door to J.D. during a few of my single years between evil wife #1 and my keeper Wife.

Kinda cool to see the Budweiser Clydesdales right before Mardi Gras or other events. Bud would stable them there. Didn't go to the races at J.D. more than once or twice, though. Much preferred the quality of horses at the Fairgrounds.

I use to live by there off of Sunset(Joe Yenni Blvd). I would ride my bike on the levee and would stop off at JD and go see the Clydesdales. Also, loved looking at the cars there for the car shows. Thanks for bringing that up. Sparked an old memory.

I grew up in the 70s in Metairie. Here (updated) is something I wrote I listed a few years back, my own personal observation of "Ain't Dere no More" from the 70s as well as what took its place:

Going, going gone: a before and after analysis of East Jefferson between the 70s and now:
Schweggmann on Vets: Lowes
Shoe Lodge: Storehouse Furniture, now Christian Street Furniture
Shoe Town on Vets & Papworth: Small shops
House of Lee and “the beer store”: Borders Bookstore (now vacant)
Wilshire Plaza A&P: Gordon’s of Metairie
Wilshire Plaza Atlantic/Gaylord’s/Zayre: Office Depot, Big Lots, Fabrixx
Pelican Lanes: Heritage Plaza Office Building
Security Homestead Building: Rite-Aid Drugstore
Paradise Lanes: Barnes & Noble
Godchaux’s at Lakeside: Assorted shops
D.H. Holmes at Lakeside: Dillard’s
Maison Blanche at Clearview: first Dillard’s, now Target
Lakeside Western Auto: Bravo, Sucre, & AT&T cellular
Barker’s/House Works!: Steinmart & Sav-a-Center
Latter Center: K-Mart
Empty Lot at Bonnabel and Vets: 1st Lamana Panno Fallo Funeral home, now Walgreen’s Shakey’s Pizza: Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Do Drive-In: DeLimon Place Condos
Airline Drive-In: was Real Superstore, now Sam’s Club
Westgate Drive-In: Wal-Mart (now closed), strip shopping center, & car dealerships
Chateau Ice Rink: Offices
Bonanza Restaurant 9east): Copeland’s, then Sweet Fire and Ice , then Social City, now back to Copeland's again
Bonanza Restaurant (west): Straya, then Cheesecake Bistro
Sena Mall Theater: Martin’s Wine Cellar
Putt-Putt: Ochsner Pediatric Clinic
Roy Rogers’at Oaklawn: Daiquiri’s & Creams
Water slide I: Ochsner Metairie clinic
Water slide II: Shoney’s Inn
Jefferson Downs: Gabriel Subdivision
East End Shopping Center: Winn-Dixie Market Place Shopping Center
Joy’s Aereon 3: Eckerd Drugstore, then CVS Pharmacy, now closed
Joy’s Panorama 4: Auto Zone and rental car place
Joy’s Cinema City in Kenner– car dealership
Leonard Krower @ Vets & Cleary: Blockbuster then a bank, French Riviera & Discovery Zone
Time Savers: first E-Z Serves, now mostly Discount Zones
K&Bs: Rite-Aids
K&B @ Clearview Mall: Zea’s
Empty Lot by Dorignacs: Foodies Kitchen, soon to be an outpatient surgery center
The old quaint Bonnabel Boat launch: new, ugly Bonnabel Boat launch
Lakeside Cinema & Winn Dixie by mall: 1st Linens N’ Things then Dick’s Sporting Goods & other shops
A&G Cafeteria at Lakeside: additional parking
Fairchild Middle School: Riverdale Middle School
Bunche Braves: Bunche Bulldogs
Metairie Playground: Pontiff Playground
The Beverly Dinner Theatre: Ochsner satellite parking lot
Pizza Hut at Vets and Nursery: burned down, became a CC’s Coffee Shop
Trahan Texaco @ Aris and Vets: Bank
Trampoline Jump Center: Discount Zone Spur station
PDQ Car Wash @ Metairie Road & 17th street Canal: Metairie Small Animal Hospital
Sclafani’s: Causeway Animal Hospital
Pat Gillen’s, Chocolate Soup, other shops on Met. Rd: AmSouth Bank
JC restaurant: Sevin’s, then Ralph & Kacoo’s, then King Buffet, then?
The Fun Arcade, which (before my time) was a Burger Chef, but was Cyrus Restaurant for a while and is now Huey's 24/7 Diner....

Crash Landing, Shadzz (SP?) Nightclub by the Tiffin Inn, Sharkey's Reef, Circle K corner of Bonnabel and Vets (used to be the high school kid hangout during parades), Piccadilly off Vets, Laser Tag place off Vets (behind Piccadilly), Fireside Inn, Service Merchandise, Solo's, Odyssey Records in Carrollton Shopping center..

I grew up in the 70s in Metairie. Here (updated) is something I wrote I listed a few years back, my own personal observation of "Ain't Dere no More" from the 70s as well as what took its place:

Going, going gone: a before and after analysis of East Jefferson between the 70s and now:
Schweggmann on Vets: Lowes
Shoe Lodge: Storehouse Furniture, now Christian Street Furniture
Shoe Town on Vets & Papworth: Small shops
House of Lee and “the beer store”: Borders Bookstore (now vacant)
Wilshire Plaza A&P: Gordon’s of Metairie
Wilshire Plaza Atlantic/Gaylord’s/Zayre: Office Depot, Big Lots, Fabrixx
Pelican Lanes: Heritage Plaza Office Building
Security Homestead Building: Rite-Aid Drugstore
Paradise Lanes: Barnes & Noble
Godchaux’s at Lakeside: Assorted shops
D.H. Holmes at Lakeside: Dillard’s
Maison Blanche at Clearview: first Dillard’s, now Target
Lakeside Western Auto: Bravo, Sucre, & AT&T cellular
Barker’s/House Works!: Steinmart & Sav-a-Center
Latter Center: K-Mart
Empty Lot at Bonnabel and Vets: 1st Lamana Panno Fallo Funeral home, now Walgreen’s Shakey’s Pizza: Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Do Drive-In: DeLimon Place Condos
Airline Drive-In: was Real Superstore, now Sam’s Club
Westgate Drive-In: Wal-Mart (now closed), strip shopping center, & car dealerships
Chateau Ice Rink: Offices
Bonanza Restaurant 9east): Copeland’s, then Sweet Fire and Ice , then Social City, now back to Copeland's again
Bonanza Restaurant (west): Straya, then Cheesecake Bistro
Sena Mall Theater: Martin’s Wine Cellar
Putt-Putt: Ochsner Pediatric Clinic
Roy Rogers’at Oaklawn: Daiquiri’s & Creams
Water slide I: Ochsner Metairie clinic
Water slide II: Shoney’s Inn
Jefferson Downs: Gabriel Subdivision
East End Shopping Center: Winn-Dixie Market Place Shopping Center
Joy’s Aereon 3: Eckerd Drugstore, then CVS Pharmacy, now closed
Joy’s Panorama 4: Auto Zone and rental car place
Joy’s Cinema City in Kenner– car dealership
Leonard Krower @ Vets & Cleary: Blockbuster then a bank, French Riviera & Discovery Zone
Time Savers: first E-Z Serves, now mostly Discount Zones
K&Bs: Rite-Aids
K&B @ Clearview Mall: Zea’s
Empty Lot by Dorignacs: Foodies Kitchen, soon to be an outpatient surgery center
The old quaint Bonnabel Boat launch: new, ugly Bonnabel Boat launch
Lakeside Cinema & Winn Dixie by mall: 1st Linens N’ Things then Dick’s Sporting Goods & other shops
A&G Cafeteria at Lakeside: additional parking
Fairchild Middle School: Riverdale Middle School
Bunche Braves: Bunche Bulldogs
Metairie Playground: Pontiff Playground
The Beverly Dinner Theatre: Ochsner satellite parking lot
Pizza Hut at Vets and Nursery: burned down, became a CC’s Coffee Shop
Trahan Texaco @ Aris and Vets: Bank
Trampoline Jump Center: Discount Zone Spur station
PDQ Car Wash @ Metairie Road & 17th street Canal: Metairie Small Animal Hospital
Sclafani’s: Causeway Animal Hospital
Pat Gillen’s, Chocolate Soup, other shops on Met. Rd: AmSouth Bank
JC restaurant: Sevin’s, then Ralph & Kacoo’s, then King Buffet, then?
The Fun Arcade, which (before my time) was a Burger Chef, but was Cyrus Restaurant for a while and is now Huey's 24/7 Diner....

excellent work.. btw , the name of 'Waterslide II' was Greased Lightnin, can't recall the name of Waterslide I-- which ironically was around for a lot longer than Greased Lightnin was.

excellent work.. btw , the name of 'Waterslide II' was Greased Lightnin, can't recall the name of Waterslide I-- which ironically was around for a lot longer than Greased Lightnin was.

The one off Clearview was Greased Lightnin' and the one on Vets where the Oschner clinic is now was called The Water Maze....

It's amazing how much Vets changed since I was a kid... There's just a handfull of original places that that still exist from the original Vets....

BTW Rich, excellent work on that list as well....:9: However, you left out the Royal Castle where Sidelines is now...

Do you remember kids week at Schwegmans? They had one week where you could go to Schwegmans with your folks (or not), and enter a raffle for a prize, they played games, I swear I saw R2d2 there once, and you always got a paper bag with candy and other stuff in it? I remember winning a tv from that when I was like 6 or 7 and then we gave the tv to my grandparents.

Schwegmans was great...to bad they couldn't manage their books.

B-Rich mentioned the Roy Rogers way up on the New Orleans end of Vets.. for a short time there was, either right next door to the RR or across Vets, a Mrs. Wheat's Meat Pies-- that ish was really good, i think they still sell them at Jazzfest.

also, i may have mentioned it earlier in the thread-- but Maxine's Stage Deli at Lakeside Mall (where you sat on the green canvas director's chairs) had the best bbq beef sandwich i've ever had.

Crash Landing, Shadzz (SP?) Nightclub by the Tiffin Inn, Sharkey's Reef, Circle K corner of Bonnabel and Vets (used to be the high school kid hangout during parades), Piccadilly off Vets, Laser Tag place off Vets (behind Piccadilly), Fireside Inn, Service Merchandise, Solo's, Odyssey Records in Carrollton Shopping center..

the Lazer Tag place built a nearly identical one in Baton Rouge after Katrina, and then a year or so ago they opened another nearly identical one in the old CompUSA building in Kennarie (not sure which side of the city line that building is on)

B-Rich mentioned the Roy Rogers way up on the New Orleans end of Vets.. for a short time there was, either right next door to the RR or across Vets, a Mrs. Wheat's Meat Pies-- that ish was really good, i think they still sell them at Jazz festd.

Don't remember that one but i do remember one further down vets on the other side -
a beignet place took that spot over for a while after I think

B-Rich mentioned the Roy Rogers way up on the New Orleans end of Vets.. for a short time there was, either right next door to the RR or across Vets, a Mrs. Wheat's Meat Pies-- that ish was really good, i think they still sell them at Jazzfest.

also, i may have mentioned it earlier in the thread-- but Maxine's Stage Deli at Lakeside Mall (where you sat on the green canvas director's chairs) had the best bbq beef sandwich i've ever had.

That Mrs Wheat's was next to the Taste Donuts that became Sweet things and Grill..

The meat pie place became a sea food store that eventually caught fire when they were boiling crawfish....Now ST & G moved across the street and that original location is an empty lot. They just tore down the old donut shop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom