Aion mmo shaping up to be a huge contender in the mmorpg market..beta is extremely strong (1 Viewer)

Sackhappysaint

It figures
Reaction score
Well, we've heard this all before, of course.

Age of conan, warhammer, chronicles of spellborn...yet they all failed miserably.

Age of conan was a brilliant game from 1-20, then it fall flatter than pancake at Ihop. There were a myriad of reasons for this. A broken combat system, scaling bosses, and poor zone design at upper levels. Along with a combat system that ruined pvp.

Warhammer started strong as well, but do to too many servers and horrible end game pvp along with horrible pve instances, as well as starting with too many servers..it also fell flat.

What all these mmos have in common is they launched here. They were an unknown product. They also were trying to reinvent the wheel a bit trying concepts never done before, that just flat out failed long term.

Aion is looking very strong for many reasons.

1)it's been launched in Asia and is a huge competitor with wow right now over there. The beta has been alive for a long time over there and I believe is the final product in asia. Keep in mind the style of Aion tries very hard to blend east and west to keep everyone happy. 3.5 million people are playing it and loving it. This is a first. No, it won't kill wow, but it's looking like it could possibly take a huge bite out of subs. This is not hard core lineage 2..

2)Aion right now is having beta weekends for those that order early here in north america(on steam and in gamespot for preorders) and the servers are responding well.

3)There is nothing new to Aion other than the wings you can fly around with and fighting in the air. The character models are just beautiful with the wings and I can't wait to get high enough level to pvp in the air. It's just a very well polished mmo.

4)Aion has an EXTREMELY intuitive interface along with fun glowy combat animations. Graphics are top notch also, it's not over the top anime..like I said this is east and west style and it works.

4)Linear quests, easy...easy to play and pick up. Standard style mmo. Wonderful music and quests telling you where to go..easy but addictive..the only similiarity to wow is here and that's a good thing, imho.

I've been playing the betas and man, this baby is strong. Best yet, it has massive amounts of beta testing due to the asian market and they are adding many patches and it just keeps getting better and better.

This is one that everyone should check out. If you are tired of eq2, lotro, and wow..this could be the game for you. Imho, wow, lotro and eq2 are the only mmos worth playing right now.

I'm loving Aion beta so much I just bought 2 games.

;)

Why didn't you respond to the thread I created specifically for your files about MW2 running at 600P?

why don't you tell us about the sony blu-ray player you bought???

Wow. I have no idea how he found out but you have brought shame to the house of Microsoft Goose. Consider yourself on probation.

What systems?

Pc, of course.

MMO(massive mulitplayer online) or mmorpg(massive multiplayer online role playing game) is really standard pc stuff really. Although I suspect in the near future developers will find a way to make it work well on consols.

That's the "whitest" I've ever seen that spelled.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-JnMTaX_WU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-JnMTaX_WU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

why don't you tell us about the sony blu-ray player you bought???

My my my. There seems to be a canary flying around.

I didn't buy a sony bluray player. That would have been too much. I bought a piece of work Insignia.

And when I got it home, the three movies I bought looked fantastic. Amazing. Breathtaking.

But I couldn't stomach it. I kept glancing at the stupid little "bluray" emblem on the player and on the boxes the discs came in. It was gnawing at me, that I was supporting technology that sony forced on the marketplace. I felt like a trick on airline highway.

I started running scenarios about when exactly I would start paying $30 for a movie, and concluded that I would never feel good about that. Then I started analyzing how often I actually watch netflix movies, which is rarely.

It wasn't long before I had rationalized the player back into the box it came in, with the receipt folded crisply on top. It's going back to the store.

I'm on straight commission, and the economy sucks, so I don't need to be spending money on frivolous stuff.

But most importantly, I couldn't stand that little bluray symbol owning me in my own living room.

Age of conan was a brilliant game from 1-20, then it fall flatter than pancake at Ihop. There were a myriad of reasons for this. A broken combat system, scaling bosses, and poor zone design at upper levels. Along with a combat system that ruined pvp.

This is one that everyone should check out. If you are tired of eq2, lotro, and wow..this could be the game for you. Imho, wow, lotro and eq2 are the only mmos worth playing right now.

I'm loving Aion beta so much I just bought 2 games.

;)

To be fair with Age of Conan, the scaling boss thing was quickly reversed, and the combat system was fixed for the most part. lately the biggest problem has been the huge power gap between casters and melee, and the servers crashing for no apparent reason (this is a new issue that has popped up in the past month).

on the positive side, they have made huge improvement to itemization and gear stats. they also added a lot of new content and actual purpose to the crafting system.

i just unsubbed yesterday, mainly because of the crashes. they were wasting my time because, as a guild leader, i was constantly scheduling siege battles and raids, spending tons of in-game money for siege weapons, and leaving work early to lead the events, only to have the entire server crash and ruin it.

some of the people i play AoC with are trying Aion, but they are having mixed opinions of it. they are loving how solidly the game is built, but some of them dislike the pvp system and some of them dislike the Lore/environment. ill probably give it a shot, but the stuff that i love about AoC probably wont be successfully duplicated in another game anytime soon.

To be fair with Age of Conan, the scaling boss thing was quickly reversed, and the combat system was fixed for the most part. lately the biggest problem has been the huge power gap between casters and melee, and the servers crashing for no apparent reason (this is a new issue that has popped up in the past month).

on the positive side, they have made huge improvement to itemization and gear stats. they also added a lot of new content and actual purpose to the crafting system.

i just unsubbed yesterday, mainly because of the crashes. they were wasting my time because, as a guild leader, i was constantly scheduling siege battles and raids, spending tons of in-game money for siege weapons, and leaving work early to lead the events, only to have the entire server crash and ruin it.

some of the people i play AoC with are trying Aion, but they are having mixed opinions of it. they are loving how solidly the game is built, but some of them dislike the pvp system and some of them dislike the Lore/environment. ill probably give it a shot, but the stuff that i love about AoC probably wont be successfully duplicated in another game anytime soon.

Aoc is a bust and one of the major reasons is stability. Besides that anyone that has scaling bosses is mentally challenged and has no idea what they are doing. The fact that it even made it into the game is an abomination. Furthermore, the instancing/zoning and poor performance really just made you want to log out and play another game and it really broke immersion.

The quest design and running around in AOC was annoying as hell also...

Anyways, back to Aion.

I love the elyos start section(this is kinda the equivalent to the alliance in wow) but I do dislike the asmodian(kinda like horde, more edgy race) start section. I don't think it's the quest organization that bothers me so much in this section..it's more the art style of the asmodian. The blue sky and stuff is annoying. The colors are kinda bothersome...its hard to describe.

I absolutely love the elyos section though. I'll say this about Aion, it has the best customization to date as far as making the person you play look exactly the way you want. About the only game that comes close is city of heroes on pc but that game is utter garbage.

I just got to level 10 and chose to become a ranger.

I can't talk more about how polished this game is to let you jump in and play.

This game is also extremely stable and both my notebook and pc play it with no crashes at all with everything cranked to max.

Simple/fun addictive gameplay and I'm loving it. They aren't trying to reinvent the wheel, but they are trying to perfect it.

The wings are awesome. Vids do not really do them justice. The actual detail that went in to the character models of this game are really impressive...especially the wings! And flying around is a blast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom