Air Force tanker contract (1 Viewer)

I heard that the KC-45 has been criticized for not having enough acceleration for an emergency break away, creating a potentially dangerous situation. Has anyone else heard this rumor?
Completely ridiculous.

Here is what Richard Shelby had to say about it.

SHELBY: Rigged in Boeing's favor

Politics mars Air Force decision to cancel contract

Richard Shelby
Monday, September 22, 2008

OP-ED:
Two months from Election Day, politics seem to be everywhere we turn. However, one place we should not see politics is in our Department of Defense (DoD) acquisition process. The process to select the new Air Force tanker fleet has become so politicized that DoD allowed parochial and business interests to keep the Air Force's top acquisition priority from the pilots who need it. The long fight over the tanker contract proves that the acquisition process is fundamentally and significantly flawed.
This was a blatant, politically motivated decision, driven by the political and emotional hysteria generated by members of Congress who wanted Boeing to win no matter what. They were more concerned with jobs in their states than U.S. war fighters' needs.
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/22/rigged-in-boeings-favor/

Aaaaaand Northrop-Grumman has pulled out of the competition, as per Staphory's post above the second competition was rigged in favor of Boeing's smaller tanker and it would have been a complete waste of money for Northrop to stay in the competition. Northrup won the original bid when it was an open competition and it was not rigged for either one, but that was not good enough for the politicians who screamed and cried because a "foriegn" company won it, even though over 50,000 new American jobs would have been created with Northrop, including a $600 million new plant in Mobile. Hooray for "politics as usual".:jpshakehead:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ion-pentagon-tanker-contract/?test=latestnews

Last edited:
Well the delayed Tanker Contract is set to be announced today at 4.

I'm sure there will be great joy in Chicago and Everett

But then we have to wait 100 days for GAO to resolve the bid protest.

Boeing got it, guys. Just announced, nice day to be a Alabama native getting your hopes up only to get knocked down like some ungrateful second-class *****.

Mobile can't be blamed by ANYONE for not trying here, even if no one gives two ***** allowing us a major economic opportunity. Oh, I know we have ThyssenKrupp to fall back on in upper Mobile county, it still would've been nice for many local Mobilians to drive to and from work at Brookley Field feeling proud our city moving forward.

Now we'll have to accept second-rate **** all the while feeling grateful getting everyone else's crumbs.

I'm not happy obviously, but more a feeling of shock/bitterness that most defense experts predicted us winning past several weeks. I'm signing off before my disappointment boils over getting me banned.

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/02/air_force_tanker_eads_boeing.html

Don't forget - we've had awards on this thing before. It won't be settled until the bid protest is resolved.

I have no opinion on the merits of the selection but I have to say the whole process stinks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom