Air Yards Suddenly Not That Important, huh? (1 Viewer)

Honest question. Who really cares about air yards, dink and dunk passing, rushing yards, etc...? As long as whatever we do equates to wins. How many long pass attempts did tampa have Monday and what was the most important stat? A loss for them. I dont care if we win the superbowl 3 to nothing as long as we win. And the cherry on top is beating tom terrific
That's why you only worry about yards per attempt, not air yards.

Brady is averaging a terrible 6.8 yards per attempt this season. That's a problem. I don't care if he completes a 35 yard pass in the air. That single play doesn't get you a free pass to ignore the glaring problem of an offense that isn't efficient enough through the air.

But we've seen Brees for 2 consecutive games (Carolina, Chicago) go down on a lengthy drive with hardly any time on the clock before half and dink and dunk his way all the way into the endzone. So amazingly Brees can score quickly even without being able needing to stretch the field.

fify

But we've seen Brees for 2 consecutive games (Carolina, Chicago) go down on a lengthy drive with hardly any time on the clock before half and dink and dunk his way all the way into the endzone. So amazingly Brees can score quickly even without being able to stretch the field.

True... but a) that was before the half, not with little time left in the 4th quarter, and b) we also have seen him not being able to do so in the 4th quarter.

Isn’t it amazing how Drew was lambasted for the better part of six weeks for not playing outside of himself by throwing deep balls just for aesthetics?! He was castigated over foregoing bombs for high percentage “dinking/dunking”. Never mind the fact that his mastery of that style kept our offense near the top of the league. Conversely, Mr. Covergirl was initially praised for still throwing vertically (albeit against trash defenses). Brady was lauded for still having a “live arm“.

Now, fast forward to the past three or four weeks. Brady can’t hit the broad side of the Superdome on those deep shots, yet he still keeps throwing up wounded ducks in hopes that he and A(nother) B(lowup) can recreate the Patriots 2007 2.0.

Suddenly, sports analysts are questioning why Arians has Tommy throwing deep. Why he hasn‘t modified the playbook to highlight what Tom does best: short and intermediate throws that move the chains. Out of nowhere it seems like air yards are over rated and precision passes that keep the offense on time and the defense on the field are the winning philosophy.

Gee, I wonder if a 40 year old QB could master such a system?!🤔 These “analysts” are a joke.
Excellent post, breesgirl!

Anyone that can find holes in your thoughts, is a tool! Very well stated.

Wrong. Brees started throwing the ball beyond the LOS more in his last 3 games and that opened up sooo much more of the field for the offense. Had he continued with his early season play, I guarantee you the offense would have suffered from that as defenses would have clamped down even tighter. Yes, I like it when Brees stays in his lane but, every now and then, he has to get it up the field or else defenses will not respect anything past 10 yards.
He was afforded having Mike Thomas back. That helps just a little. And Brady has had Evans all season. Godwin has missed a lot of time, but Brady also has 3 good NFL TE’s. All said, the criticism of Brees, compared to the criticism of Brady, for not getting his balls deeper (mid range to deep) on a regular basis, holds true. The national media was all over Brady’s nut sack, for having so much “zip” left on his balls. Maybe Brees does not need “zip” on his balls. Maybe Brees winning and in contention for the 1 seed, his balls are just fine...😂. And it is true. If Brees CAN get his balls deeper, it does open things up more. Just saying.

Its really simple, all the measured stats change on what makes Brady look better or less bad. If you've followed the nfl at all in the last 20 years you should know that. Hell they invented the tuck rule for him, the raiders, Gannon and tim brown should have been in that super bowl

The tuck rule was not created just for that game. It was created in 1999 and actually used against the Patriots in week 2 of the 2001 season. It was voted out in 2013.

The tuck rule was a controversial rule in American football used by the National Football League from 1999 until 2013. It stated:

True... but a) that was before the half, not with little time left in the 4th quarter, and b) we also have seen him not being able to do so in the 4th quarter.
If I am not mistaken, Brees has led almost twice as many game winning drives in the 4th Quarter as Aaron Rodgers. In the last 3 playoff losses, Brees has led drives that put the Saints ahead with less then 2 minutes on the clock.

The tuck rule was not created just for that game. It was created in 1999 and actually used against the Patriots in week 2 of the 2001 season. It was voted out in 2013.

Ok I understand you can point to where it was created and used against the patriots in a REGULAR season game but if you can honestly say that you don't think they were gifted an appearance in the super bowl I desperately want some of what you are smoking. I'm not trying to be rude to you so if it comes off that way, my apologies. But I remember watching that game and how long it took them to figure it out. Look at this year, look at brady. Age is not an excuse, its his mind. You can see how frustrated he looks, he is not playing a weak division, he is not getting all the calls, whining to the refs isn't helping as much. And before anyone says its the play calling, if you are truly the "Goat" you can call an audible.. For the first time in his career tom brady isn't handed everything, it's getting to him and the media makes excuses. Its never bradys fault, he hasa good defense, 3 number1 receivers, a HOF tightend and 2 good backs but its not his fault. Drew has for most years doesn't have 3 number one relievers, average tightends, NO DEFENSE, puts up better numbers but is an after thought, its his fault because he is not the prototype quarterback

If I am not mistaken, Brees has led almost twice as many game winning drives in the 4th Quarter as Aaron Rodgers.
Historically, probably, but that's not relevant.

In the last 3 playoff losses, Brees has led drives that put the Saints ahead with less then 2 minutes on the clock.

Well, those were losses, but, they were also tight games, in which the lead was changing as teams traded field goals. And the Saints only managed 24 points, 23 points, 20 points respectively.

But then you look at the Raiders game last September, in which the Saints fell behind 10 points with a little over a minute left. Now, down by 10 with a little over a minute left, it is a tough proposition, but the Saints didn't even try to go deep. May as well taken knees and call it a day.

So, again, you can win games dinking and dunking as long as the game stays close, but it makes it that much harder to move the ball, and almost and impossible proposition when you must stretch the field.

What team and QB have you been watching since 2006? He’s led late 4th quarter TDs consistently throughout his career.

For crying out loud..

First, "since 2006" is irrelevant.

Now, baby steps :
It is easier for a defense to defend a shorter field than a stretched field.
Do you agree or disagree?

For crying out loud..

First, "since 2006" is irrelevant.

Now, baby steps :
Do you agree or disagree?
For crying out loud.? The guy has led more 4th quarter comebacks than anyone. That’s just a fact regardless of the length of a pass. He’s proven it continuously for a very long period of time. He’s been absolutely deadly in late 4th quarter scoring drives. His defenses time and again have failed when they needed to make a stop to win it and couldn’t step up particularly in playoff games.

For crying out loud.? The guy has led more 4th quarter comebacks than anyone. That’s just a fact regardless of the length of a pass. He’s proven it continuously for a very long period of time. He’s been absolutely deadly in late 4th quarter scoring drives. His defenses time and again have failed when they needed to make a stop to win it and couldn’t step up particularly in playoff games.

Ok, so.. do you agree or disagree?

I think the argument that it is easier to defend a shorter field than a stretched field is valid. The other point, that Brees is highly effective even while working only a short field is equally valid.

Ok, so.. do you agree or disagree?
As I said it hasn’t mattered the length of the pass. If it mattered he sure as hell wouldn’t have led the late drive against SF with a collapsed lung and 11 broken ribs whether it was to end a half or a game. So it doesn’t matter with a great QB whether it’s a short or stretched field. Examples prove it every week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom