Alan Fanaca Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Also strengthening the middle gives Brees more room to throw. We could possibly see less tipped at the line passes.

FA's that leave Pittsburgh rarely amount to much honestly. Pittsburgh seems to know when to let them walk. Burress and Vrabel are two notably exceptions to that rule. I'm not sure I'd break the bank for Faneca, as much as I would love to see him in B&G.

His first name doesn't start with "J" - not a good fit for us. ;)

Nesbit got a 1-year deal (I believe) to allow Alleman to compete for the starting spot. The hope is, i'm sure, that Alleman will win the starting position.

Faneca is way, way, way overpriced. Most "elite" guards are, but if we're going to spend too much at that position at least spend it on extending a young Jahri Evans.

exactly...as much as I'd love to have Faneca's leadership, signing Nesbit is a sign he is keeping the position warm for Alleman, and according to Mike Detillier, Alleman may start this year. We may be set on the offensive line. With Goodwin signed we may see him as the starter with Faine getting interest in KC and Tampa Bay.

I would love to sign Fanaca. If we have a legitimate shot at a HoF Guard, we should take it and make this o-line one of (if not the) best the Saints have ever fielded.

Looks like the Jets are the favs to land him...they waived their starting left guard after one season:

...In terms of need, Faneca should be the No. 1 priority for the Jets. After waiving one-year bust Adrien Clarke Tuesday, they have a gaping hole at left guard. Faneca, 31, who has appeared in seven straight Pro Bowls, will command at least $19 million in guarantees (last year's market for free-agent guards), and there are indications the Jets are one of the favorites to sign Faneca.

That would be a stunning reversal for the Jets, who refused to give $1 million last year to keep Pete Kendall happy. But the offensive line was a mess in '07, and desperation sometimes controls the checkbook.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...02-28_steelers_faneca_is_on_jets_radar-1.html

with the re-signing of nesbit, Alleman in the wings, and a big payday to evans coming, we have as much money as we can tied up in the G position. realistically there is no way we throw more money at this position when we have dire needs elsewhere...no way they try and get faneca.

Yep, now that we signed Nesbit I think we won't be going after him. Hopefully Alleman steps up. Nesbit is just serviceable at guard.

Faneca would be our best Offensive Linemen. He's the best Guard in the league. Our run game would instantly improve.

As someone said before, you can't have all the big time free agents. It just doesn't work that way. We probably can only get one "big time" guy if any at all. We should focus our efforts on defense in FA... If we don't land a big one, I'm OK with that, but let's not dilute our efforts by going after both offense and defense FAs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom