Saints Alan12's 2022 Training Camp Observations - Monday, August 1st (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Alright, I already know what y'all are thinking seeing this thread pop up...

200.gif

I tried to have this posted by Monday afternoon when I got home but I was feeling very under the weather and didn't have the energy to type it up that night or yesterday. Today I was feeling much better, so I finally was able to type it all up and as usual I went through the practice update thread and linked some of the tweets with videos to the plays. Practice started a bit late Monday so it's a little shorter than usual and I missed a few more details here and there than I normally would but I still got the majority of it. Even though I'm posting late, I figure it'll give everyone something to enjoy reading waiting for practice to start tomorrow morning. :)

----------

Offense started by simulating the 2-minute drill by breaking the huddle, lining up quickly, and snapping the ball with the OL hitting the blocking sled. After the horn sounded, everyone went to position drills.

Near field: QB/RB's did hand off and passes to the flat, WR's were doing press release drills with a coach stabbing at them with the long pads over their arms trying to disrupt their route

Far field: LB's were hitting the tackling rings for awhile then began a drill dropping into coverage and then flipping their hips to whichever way the coach sent them, DB's were doing deep ball tracking drills and then worked on coming up in run support

After the horn sounded, QB's worked on over to the ring nets while coaches were swatting at the ball in their hands; RB's did the gauntlet drill; then QB's and WR's ran 2-WR route concepts until this period ended.

Next period had the QB's and skill position guys lining up and running plays without a defense, mostly just pitch and catch at slightly faster than a walkthrough speed...
  • Winston to Landry on a dig
  • Winston to Olave on an out
  • Winston incomplete to Thomas on a post (a bit overthrown?)
  • Winston to Landry on a curl
  • Winston to Callaway on a curl
  • Winston to Harty on a slant
  • Winston to Trautman on a crosser

• Dalton bootleg to White on deep crosser
  • Dalton to Trautman on an out
  • Dalton to Callaway on a shallow crosser
  • Dalton to Dai'Jean Dixon on a curl
  • Dalton to J.P. Holtz on a shallow crosser
  • Dalton to Washington in the flat
  • Dalton to Lucas Krull on a sluggo
  • Dalton to Kirk Merritt on a dig

• Book to Dixon on a sluggo
  • Book to Trautman on an out-and-up
  • Book to Vannett on a corner
  • Book to Landry on an out
  • Book to Dixon on a dig
WR/DB 1 vs 1 - always my favorite drill to watch; Dalton was the QB at the beginning for a bit because on the opposite side of the field, Winston was with the OL, RB's, and TE's doing running plays against the defensive front 7, but Winston eventually came in but I didn't exactly get to see when his first rep was. Also missed a few reps here and there so bear with me :hihi:
  • 80 vs 29 - Landry wins the rep on a slant, but Adebo was SMOTHERING him; this was the play that Kat Terrell said Landry came up limping but I must've missed it while writing
  • 1 vs 27 - Callaway runs a streak and Alontae Taylor edges him over to the sideline, Callaway almost 1-hands it but would've been out of bounds anyway, win to Taylor
  • 12 vs 21 - Roby gets the PBU on Olave trying a hitch-and-go down the sideline
  • 17 vs ? - Kevin White had a rep here but I missed the play and who it was even against while I was still scribbling stuff from 2 plays earlier :hihi:
  • 18 vs 35 - Winston beats Vincent Gray on a streak before curling for the reception
  • 85 vs 39 - Merritt beats DaMarcus Fields on a slant
  • 11 vs 29 - Harris runs a dig but even though Adebo has pretty good positioning, he grabs Harty's hip to try and gain a bit more but it is for naught as Harty completes the catch
At this point is when I notice Jameis had made his way over and started throwing, I also think I missed a rep since I have back-to-back routes by Harty but if the DB rotation remained the same then I missed a Taylor rep :(
  • 11 vs 21 - Harty tries Roby deep before curling, pass was a bit wide outside but Roby also has a handful of jersey
  • ? - your guess is as good as mine as to what happened here, according to the DB rotation, it should've been the same DB on the Kevin White route I missed earlier, LOL
  • 87 vs 35 - Baker runs a streak with Gray in coverage but drops it
  • 17 vs 39 - White runs a streak on Fields but drops it and bats it up and Fields comes down with it, not sure if in bounds or not though
  • 12 vs 29 - Adebo gets the PBU on a slant by Olave; last rep by Winston, Dalton rotates in...

• 85 vs 27 - Merritt beats Taylor on a dig, really great route
  • 18 vs 31 - Winston beats the press and Thompson grabs some jersey but should've still been caught; last rep by Dalton, Winston rotates back in...

• 80 vs 21 - Landry gets an outside release and crosses Roby's face on a slant spinning him around in coverage
  • 12 vs 29 - lots of contact by both, I don't even think there was a route honestly
11 vs 11 - Turner and Eric Wilson getting some 1st team snaps, Hurst at LT, Roby/Adebo at CB (no Lattimore yet), after a few plays I notice Baun and Elliss both also come in; also at some point I saw McCoy sitting on the ground with a trainer but I don't think he missed any of his reps so it was likely just cramping
Special Teams - Lutz didn't kick any balls that I seen, it was all John Parker Romo kicking FG's and then Gillikin BOMBING 50-55 yd punts inside the 10

From my sideline angle, it looked as though Romo went 3/3 (35 middle, 40 right hash, 43 left hash)

11 vs 11 - Lattimore did participate in this 11v11 session
Special Teams - more FG work by Romo

First kick was 30-something and looked to go wide-left but not sure, then he looked to make his next 3 kicks at 45, 51, and 56-57 before practice wrapped up. Overall it was a very defensive dominant practice for the most part, lots of PBU's and balls on the ground.

Anyways, hope y'all enjoyed. I should have another one of these write-ups done for next Monday's practice on the 8th as well, hopefully I can get that one typed up and posted earlier than I did this one. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom