Albert Brier (SI) article: A Few Great Drafts Make it Easier for the Saints to Afford Drew Brees (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
..."Those guys, Bell and Onyemata, were vital cogs in 2019. Bell’s cap number for 2019 was $1.26 million. Onyemata’s was $2.16 million. And this year, Williams, Kamara, Anzalone and Hendrickson have cap figures under $2 million. Ramczyk’s is still under $3 million.

The bottom line is, because of how well they’ve drafted, the Saints are very much in a sweet spot and have been for a couple years—stocked with guys entering their prime, playing like veterans, but paid like rookies. New Orleans should be able to keep the elite guys like Thomas and Lattimore around. But the pinch has to be felt somewhere. One area will be in the team’s ability to be an aggressor in acquiring outside vets, with bigger contracts topping the cap sheet. Another is in second-wave guys, like Onyemata and Bell, that have to go.

The latter two illustrate the value of being in the spot the Saints are now. Again, it doesn’t last forever. And while you’re in that spot, you want to be able to take full advantage of it.

Without Brees, it would’ve been tough for the Saints to do that, which is why getting him back is a very, very big deal
."

Rest of the article

A reminder of how important picks are to build or re-build a contender. Last couple of years we had a roster full of depth, with starters playing under rookie contracts. A different situation is coming for the next couple of years. We need to have the assets to replace the players that may leave.

The time of giving away picks for a blue chip players is gone, we will have to hit successful classes as we did with the draft of 2017.

And still having the fifth year option on Lattimore and Ramczyk is why I don't understand people continuing to say we need to rework their deals this year.

I don’t think it will be possible until we know the terms of the new CBA.

Normally teams try to do that to secure a long term deal, hoping to avoid a fight and even getting better conditions.

I don’t think it will be possible until we know the terms of the new CBA.

Normally teams try to do that to secure a long term deal, hoping to avoid a fight and even getting better conditions.
I agree, but more often than not it seems that teams pick up the fifth year option and then negotiate a long term contract after the fourth year. There's really no reason to do it after the third year for first round picks since they're making good money as it is.

I agree, but more often than not it seems that teams pick up the fifth year option and then negotiate a long term contract after the fourth year. There's really no reason to do it after the third year for first round picks since they're making good money as it is.

Yes, Lattimore and Ramczyk are next year's dealings. So is Marcus Williams, Anzalone, and Kamara IF AK doesn't hold out this year which he most certainly will.

Maybe we’re finally able to trade back this yr. That’d be awesome

It not the quantity of picks, it’s the quality.

Regarding the “impending” Kamara hold-out situation... What happens with AK will be a major factor going into next season... he’s either going to be extended (and committed to... by the Saints), or he’s going to be traded. Either way it’s a major move.

That is why it is very important to win a SB with this roster. Duplicating this window anytime soon is not likely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom