Alec Baldwin Accidentally Kills Cinematographer on Set of New Movie (1 Viewer)

unless you have some "hollywood insider" scoop, it's apparent that alec baldwin pulled the trigger of the gun that killed and wounded his crewmembers
Oh, I dunno. MBS actually has experience working in the industry. So maybe not the scoop you're looking for, but he knows what's what when it comes to working in Hollywood.

by suggesting that anyone other than alec baldwin is responsible for this calamity

baldwin is no stranger to movie firearms and apparently ignored one of the basic rules of safety

wouldn't trust my own mother to tell me a weapon is "cold"; any firearm i hold is first visually checked for un/loaded

What a laughably terrible post. Embarrassing trash.

First off, this is a tragedy, for all involved.

If you have no expertise or even basic knowledge in handling firearms, either go through a training course or don’t handle them. Actors immerse themselves in roles all the time, so if one of your roles requires you to fire a loaded gun, no matter what it is loaded with, do your due diligence.

From what I have read, there was someone on set who was to be in charge of this. Either proper set protocols were compromised, or this individual didn’t do their job in training the performers and inspecting the weapon.

I’ll stop with any additional assumptions and wait to read any incident reports that surface.

unless you have some "hollywood insider" scoop, it's apparent that alec baldwin pulled the trigger of the gun that killed and wounded his crewmembers
Colossally stupid.

If the armorer, whose job it is to make sure the gun is safe hands him a gun and tells him it’s safe, and then he pulls the trigger, aiming at what he’s supposed to aim at because he’s been told the gun is safe, and then it turns out the gun is not safe…that’s the actor’s fault?

That’s absurd and you’ve got an axe to grind.

Only way Baldwin has any responsibility is if he was in a position of authority with this film seeing how people already walked off over safety issues.

Likewise there is no excuse as to why Hollywood hasn't created replicas that are incapable of firing anything other than movie set rounds.

Only way Baldwin has any responsibility is if he was in a position of authority with this film seeing how people already walked off over safety issues.

Likewise there is no excuse as to why Hollywood hasn't created replicas that are incapable of firing anything other than movie set rounds.

Yeah, I agree - there were definitely issues on that set and if that contributed to the failure of gun-safety measures, then it gets broader. Apparently a proper set has a host of measures designed to keep these kinds of accidents from happening. But it does seem that the most responsible is just getting rid of these guns that still use a firing mechanism - there are other ways.

That said, it's a pretty awful thing for all involved. Baldwin was told the gun was safe to use in the scene. Now she's dead and he has to live with this.

Nonsense. They have an armorer on set whose basic job is to make sure this doesn’t happen. An actor’s job is to act.

Wrong. The actors go through training with firearms. Yes, the armorer has the responsibility but so do the actors. Every actor is told, shown, and trained to take every step available to ensure a firearm is safe. The actors are trained to check every firearm is safe before using them. Don't pass the buck solely to the armorer.

Wrong. The actors go through training with firearms. Yes, the armorer has the responsibility but so do the actors. Every actor is told, shown, and trained to take every step available to ensure a firearm is safe. The actors are trained to check every firearm is safe before using them. Don't pass the buck solely to the armorer.
so if the shot calls for the actor to fire the gun in the direction of the camera, he should refuse to do so? It would be different if this were a case of being mishandled before the shoot.

Lot of detail here:

what purpose would live bullets have even being on the set. This looks bad.

and this had happened to his stunt double days before? What in the world was she still on the set for?

so if the shot calls for the actor to fire the gun in the direction of the camera, he should refuse to do so? It would be different if this were a case of being mishandled before the shoot.
IF, and I stress IF, Baldwin went thru safety procedures then he should have checked the firearm before doing the scene. Basic gun safety man
Always assume a firearm is live

Still I am going top down on this since it seems to be systematic

From what I have read, there was someone on set who was to be in charge of this. Either proper set protocols were compromised, or this individual didn’t do their job in training the performers and inspecting the weapon.

There was someone in charge. Baldwin was told the gun was cold, or not loaded. Clearly that wasn't true. I believe it was the LATimes article posted earlier in the thread that stated there had been several "cold" guns on set that had turned out to be loaded. Calls and complaints had been made about it already by crewmembers. That points directly to the propmaster and armorer not doing their jobs.

what purpose would live bullets have even being on the set. This looks bad.

and this had happened to his stunt double days before? What in the world was she still on the set for?

There's a lot of contention about this. Apparently they refer to anything loaded in the gun as a "live round" which is utterly ridiculous and only leads to confusion when something like this happens.

Again, there's absolutely no valid reason to be using a firearm capable of actually firing a projectile as a prop. Realistic prop guns exist that are not capable of firing a projectile. They just don't want to spend the pennies it would cost to animate muzzle flash, a cartridge ejecting, etc. And considering it sounds like this was a western, where they'd likely be using a revolver where there is no cartridge ejection, it makes even less sense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom