Alec Ogletree Charged with DUI. [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

Alec Ogletree charged with DUI

Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2013, 10:33 PM EST

AP

Former Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, a likely first-round pick in the 2013 draft and one of the top prospects at inside linebacker, was arrested recently for DUI.

“Last weekend, my client Alec Ogletree was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona,” agent Pat Dye, Jr. tells PFT. “After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

LINK

Young ids make dumb mistakes. Luckily this one did not cost anyone their life....
However, could this make him drop out of the 1st round? If so, is he worth trying to move into the second for him?

Not just for us, but for anyone?

Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2013, 10:33 PM EST

AP

Former Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, a likely first-round pick in the 2013 draft and one of the top prospects at inside linebacker, was arrested recently for DUI.

“Last weekend, my client Alec Ogletree was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona,” agent Pat Dye, Jr. tells PFT. “After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

LINK

One day I'll be rich enough to have a guy in a 3 piece suit apologize for my actions.

After growing up with his father, Patrick Faine Dye Jr. should feel right at home with dealing with drunks.

Pick him up in the 5th or 6th round once he falls, like Alfonzo Denard did last year when Belichick swooped in and took him late...

Some folk on here have a skewed concept of player worth. This guy gets drunk and he supposedly falls to the 5th round. UDFA Galette getting traded for a 2nd. Y'all silly.

Young ids make dumb mistakes. Luckily this one did not cost anyone their life....
However, could this make him drop out of the 1st round? If so, is he worth trying to move into the second for him?

Not just for us, but for anyone?

Honestly I doubt he falls much at all. He didn't hurt anyone (thank God) and he's young and will learn from it. If convicted, He'll have a heavy fine (which someone will probably cover for him anyway right now, since he's going to be the NFL and if therefore good for the money) and perhaps a suspended license that may not even matter if he doesn't play football in the state he had the charge in.

On a side note - It does provide social commentary. For most of us on this board a DUI (even one where no one was injured) would be a big hit to take, whether it be in the pocket book and/or mentally, and depending on what you do for a living could even cost you your job. For him, at most he loses a few thousands out of the millions he'll be earning and the time it takes to go to court.

No, he is not going to fall to the fifth or sixth round. But the second to third round is not of the question given that teams already had character questions concerning him, most of which stemmed from his 4-game suspension allegedly for violating Georgia's substance abuse policy. There are also scouts who have reportedly questioned his durability given his leaner frame. Adding the DUI to the list does hurt his stock, make no mistake about it. The difficulty is knowing where his stock is at right now amongst teams. Is he a top ten point who falls to the end of round 1/beginning of round 2? Is he late first right now who goes middle 2nd round? This is what we do not know to project accurately how much he will fall. But I do believe the DUI will precipitate some fall given the past off-the-field issues with him.

He still profiles as a first round pick and top 15-20 talent in my book. But the DUI will hurt him significantly and will increase the scrutiny he will get. Do not be shock if/when there is a report out of the combine that a team(s) says it would not touch him before "such and such" round or at all in the draft. That might cause him to slide, and I can see him going as low as the third round. But given his talent, it is hard to predict when a team like the Bengals might be willing to overlook his transgressions or a team with a strong organization (i.e. Saints, Patriots, Ravens, etc) may feel that the character in their respective buildings would improve his and prevent him from being a character.

Well I guess it's between Jordan and Richardson now with who I want us to pick @ 15....at least guarantees him a spot in the 20s or beyond IMO...Pittsburgh may get lucky again...

Don't understand why these kids just can't call a taxi knowing whats on the line. If i'm in his shoes and I want to go get drunk, I am going to find someone who isn't going to drink or do it by taxi.

Stupid idiot. I cannot be more disappointed than I am right now. Once is a mistake. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is a pattern. I have been a fan of his since he stepped on the field in Athens, and he is one of the better football talents that I have seen in my life. But the timing of his indiscretions is very disconcerting. One before he ever played a game. One at the beginning of a season when his presence was sorely needed on the field. And now when his future employment is on the line. I just don't understand what is going on in his head, and wouldn't risk a pick on him until I did.

I think it will put an asterisk on his CV, but really do you think he will be dropping far? I don't. Do you take Manti' Teo or Kevin Minter over him?

Middle linbackers traditionally fall from the expected middle first round to the early second.

Me, I will give him a hard interview on the combine, and look hard at his personality, but if it was the guy I was sold on before the DUI, I would take him.

I really don't think this will affect his draft status that much. It he fails, it will be by a combination of factors, not only this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom