Alert! Server migration coming (Edit - Done!) (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just wanted to let you all know that the Host will be moving our site to new servers at their new Network Operation's Center (NOC) sometime Saturday.

Though I was comfortable with the servers at the current NOC, and the timing isn't great, the move is mandatory as the host is moving to a new NOC and plan to shut the old NOC down. The new NOC is supposed to be state of the art, and they are giving us new upgraded servers at no extra cost, so I probably shouldn't complain, but these migrations don't always go perfectly, and are a pain in the backside. These guys at Knownhost have been real good with support, so I think it will be fine.

What to expect:

- It should go seamlessly, and there really shouldn't be any downtime, but what usually happens is that once I make the DNS change at the registrar, depending on how quickly your ISP's update their DNS records (which can take anywhere from minutes to days) some members will be posting on the old server while others are posting on the new one. That can cause some confusion, as if your ISP hasn't updated, you may post a new thread or response that shows up, but an hour later disappears. Why? Because your DNS did not propagate, you posted on the old server, and now you are seeing the new one which doesn't contain your post. Confused yet? If so... I get it! :hihi: I suppose that I could simply turn the current board off/put it in maintenance mode once I update the DNS, which would keep that from occurring, which is an option that I might go with.

- There will be some posts missing between the time the last database backup is created and when it is restored on the new database server. So don't panic. Friday night and Saturday Morning you may want to save any posts or the new thread content that you create to your PC's, for re-posting as a contingency. Especially if they are long and you put a lot of effort into them.

- You will likely need to log back in, so if you have the logins to this forum on automatic you may want to make sure that you have your log in info handy.

- After the move, if having issues logging in or getting to the new site, some may need to clear their browser cache/temporary internet files on their PC's, or Clear their History and Website Data on their phones.

I know that it is an inconvenience for you all, as it is certainly for me also. I apologize for that!

Stay safe, and thanks for your patience.

-Andrus

So basically Friday night is like the Purge and anything we post will disappear forever the next morning?

Hoo boy. Prepare yourselves for some LC hot takes, boys and girls. Have I ever told you people the story of Vince Young?

Ummm... Pass! :hihi:

But I was just starting to get use to this site!

It's going to be the same site and software. Nothing changing there. It will just be on a different set of servers hosted at a different location.

Thanks for the update, Andrew! Good luck with the move.

Edited by Andrus: Who is Andrew? LOL! C'mon Rich! :hihi:

Darn you, autocorrect!! Must’ve been my first time typing Andrus on that phone. :sorry::biglol:

Last edited:
Update: So, what is going to happen is that I am going to put the site in maintenance mode at about 1:30am tonight so that very few, if any, posts are lost. The techs will then perform a backup of the current database and restore it on the new database server. At approximately 2am I will make the DNS change at the registrar. Throughout the night and day tomorrow your ISP's will update their DNS records. You will know when this happens because while the community on the old server will be in maintenance mode, the community on the new servers will be live.

Any questions?

Throughout the night and day tomorrow your ISP's will update their DNS records. You will know when this happens because while the community on the old server will be in maintenance mode, the community on the new servers will be live.

Any questions?

Unsolicited piggyback:

If you're having issues after, you can do control+F5 (or control+refresh) on the page to force it to pull a new copy. It's basically clearing the cache for just this site. Good ol' fashioned reboot should also refresh local DNS.

Just wanted to update... I was asking the techs for a timeline, and got this reply...

I would still give at least a full hour for the migration, then the amount of time you will need to test your sites before making DNS changes.

I think telling your members about 2 hours of seeing a maintenance page is likely and more of a safe estimate.

You won't need to put the site in maintenance mode until right before the migration starts. So at the time you give the go ahead to proceed that is when you should put the site in maintenance mode and then we will start transferring the accounts.

After the migration is finished we'll provide you with details on how to test your site as well as the DNS changes to be made.

So basically between about 1:30am and 3:30am you will see the maintenance messages, and then for however long it takes your ISP's to propagate to the new servers thereafter.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

This migration may be (Edit - has been) postponed. I have issues regarding the process and am not getting timely answers from the techs, so I asked them to postpone the migration until we have all of our ducks in a row.

Last edited:
Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

Thanks. Very useful info.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom