Alex Trebek Announces he has Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer (Update: Trebek has passed) (2 Viewers)

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After seeing most of the "test" hosts, none of them come close to capturing the charisma that Alex Trebek had. I wish I could put my finger on it, but what was it about Alex that makes his shoes so hard to fill? Ken Jennings acted like announcing the clues had to be done as fast as possible. The other subs have been no better. So I went and dug up the video of Alex's first show. It also seemed rapid and chaotic. His debut was far from the host that endeared him to his audience many years later.

After many years he grew into the host we miss so much today. Maybe we need to lower our expectations on the first impressions of Alex's replacement and try to see which of them will grow best into the role. Crossing my fingers.

Here's a list of the future try-outs:

Buzzy Cohen: May 17-28

Mayim Bialik: May 31-June 11

Savannah Guthrie: June 14-25

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: June 28-July 9

--- below are just one-week tryouts

George Stephanopoulos: July 12-16

Robin Roberts: July 19-23

LeVar Burton: July 26-30

David Faber: Aug. 2-6

Joe Buck: Aug. 9-13

That list still lacks a lot of imagination, but I have always been a big fan of Robin Roberts so I will be interested to see how she does. I'm hoping she has a good showing. And LeVar Burton finally gets his shot. I hope he does well as his supporters have been quite adamant. The rest are more network talking heads.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don't know why people seem to despise Joe Buck so much. I can see him doing very well in this role. He's engaging, has a calm demeanor, and has some of the same dry wittiness that Trebek possessed.
I go back and watch the 2009 NFCCG every now and then. I get the feeling he was rooting for the Vikings. I could be wrong, it's just a gut feeling,but he came off as disappointed when Hartley made the game winning FG.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
They need to get Mike Tirico and Mike Rowe in for a tryout.

Last edited:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After seeing most of the "test" hosts, none of them come close to capturing the charisma that Alex Trebek had. I wish I could put my finger on it, but what was it about Alex that makes his shoes so hard to fill? Ken Jennings acted like announcing the clues had to be done as fast as possible. The other subs have been no better. So I went and dug up the video of Alex's first show. It also seemed rapid and chaotic. His debut was far from the host that endeared him to his audience many years later.

After many years he grew into the host we miss so much today. Maybe we need to lower our expectations on the first impressions of Alex's replacement and try to see which of them will grow best into the role. Crossing my fingers.

Here's a list of the future try-outs:

Buzzy Cohen: May 17-28

Mayim Bialik: May 31-June 11

Savannah Guthrie: June 14-25

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: June 28-July 9

--- below are just one-week tryouts

George Stephanopoulos: July 12-16

Robin Roberts: July 19-23

LeVar Burton: July 26-30

David Faber: Aug. 2-6

Joe Buck: Aug. 9-13

That list still lacks a lot of imagination, but I have always been a big fan of Robin Roberts so I will be interested to see how she does. I'm hoping she has a good showing. And LeVar Burton finally gets his shot. I hope he does well as his supporters have been quite adamant. The rest are more network talking heads.
It’s kinda not fair judging the tryouts vs ‘having done it many decades’ trebek
It’s the same issue we’re going to have evaluating QBs the next few years - they’re going to be compared to a HoF qb- no one is going to benefit from that comparison

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It’s kinda not fair judging the tryouts vs ‘having done it many decades’ trebek
It's not. Whoever they end up with permanently is going to be controversial. I wish they'd bump Levar up, though, because I want to see NOW if we're all gonna love him as much as we think we will.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It's not. Whoever they end up with permanently is going to be controversial. I wish they'd bump Levar up, though, because I want to see NOW if we're all gonna love him as much as we think we will.
I've respected him as an actor since Roots. I believe he'll make a great host .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom