Alex Trebek has passed (Update: new Jeopardy host stuff)) (4 Viewers)

Jennings in a bit of controversy

This is my first time hearing about this "bean Dad" thing
=============================================
Ken Jennings, who holds the all-time record for most consecutive "Jeopardy!" games won, has stumbled from one Twitter controversy into another after coming to the defense of a man that the internet dubbed "Bean Dad."

Jennings was recently announced as the first guest host of "Jeopardy!" following longtime host Alex Trebek's death, but following that announcement in November, insensitive tweets by Jennings resurfaced.

One tweet from 2014 read, "Nothing sadder than a hot person in a wheelchair," while another in 2015 included a joke about a terminally ill "Star Wars" fan who got to watch "The Force Awakens" before he died. Jennings had previously refused to delete these tweets, saying that they "could lead to smart replies and even advocacy. Deleting them felt like whitewashing a mistake."...........

Who is "Bean Dad"?

John Roderick is the lead singer and guitarist of the band The Long Winters and was formerly a touring member of the band Harvey Danger. He also hosts or co-hosts several podcasts, including "Roderick On The Line," "Road Work" and Jennings' "Omnibus."

On Sunday, Roderick tweeted in a thread that his 9-year-old daughter came to him and said she was hungry. He told her to make some beans and when she asked how, he said, "Open a can and put it in a pot." Then, he realized that she had never had to use a can opener before.

Roderick tells her to "study the parts, study the can, figure out what the can opener inventor was thinking when they tried to solve this problem." Time passes and his daughter grows increasingly frustrated because, as Roderick put it, "spatial orientation, process visualization and order of operation are not things she . . . intuits."

He then told her, "Sweetheart, neither of us will eat another bite today until we get into this can of beans," before returning to a jigsaw puzzle he'd been poking at all day. Finally, after "six hours on and off," and Roderick's daughter eventually telling her father she hates him, she successfully removes the lid. They feast on beans, and Roderick takes to Twitter to breathlessly recount what he obviously viewed as his greatest teaching moment as an "Apocalypse Dad." ...................

"Jeopardy!" champ Ken Jennings stumbles into more controversy after defending "Bean Dad" on Twitter (msn.com)

Yeah, I like Jennings but have some awareness here man. Losing the Jeopardy hosting gig because you defended a guy that does satire terribly just because he hosts a podcast with you that no one listens to is just embarrassing.

So I just found this article. Like I said, I've been watching but they aren't really keeping the actual viewers up to date. Basically, this Friday will be the last new Alex epis. Then the first guest host is Ken but for an undisclosed time.

Also, starting Thursday and, I think, showing weekly in prime time is the debut of The Chase (which shows on the Gameshow Network but only in reruns I think) with three biggies of Jeopardy contestant fame: Ken Jennings, James Holzshauer, and Brad Rutter. As a lover of all things trivia, I will be watching.

Wanted to bump this thread yesterday but didn't get around to it. I watched the finale yesterday.

I'm not gonna say I cried ... but I did. I totally did.

Ken Jennings isn’t the only former “Jeopardy!” winner given a chance to fill the shoes of the late Alex Trebek. Aaron Rodgers will also be posing the answers to panelists later this year.

“I’m really excited about it,” the Green Bay Packers quarterback said Tuesday, during a media session mostly devoted to his team’s upcoming playoff game against the Los Angeles Rams..........

So far it seems that Ken Jennings is doing yeoman's work with his turn at hosting the show. Big shoes to fill and he is not trying to be Alex.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Katie Couric, Mayim Bialik and Aaron Rodgers are among the future guest hosts who will fill in for the late Alex Trebek on “Jeopardy!”

The show announced Wednesday that Couric, the journalist and former “Today” show host, will become the first woman ever to host the show.......

Ken Jennings isn’t the only former “Jeopardy!” winner given a chance to fill the shoes of the late Alex Trebek. Aaron Rodgers will also be posing the answers to panelists later this year.

“I’m really excited about it,” the Green Bay Packers quarterback said Tuesday, during a media session mostly devoted to his team’s upcoming playoff game against the Los Angeles Rams..........

This kills me. I'm a Jeopardy junkie and I can't not watch. I'll admit, ARod was a pretty good player; but the questions are dumbed down a bit for the celebs version. Gonna kill me to watch him but I will.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Katie Couric, Mayim Bialik and Aaron Rodgers are among the future guest hosts who will fill in for the late Alex Trebek on “Jeopardy!”

The show announced Wednesday that Couric, the journalist and former “Today” show host, will become the first woman ever to host the show.......

They are killing me. I guess Mayim will be okay (her new show stinks, though) but Kate Couric has become insufferable.

It's Katie Couric week! I actually enjoy her hosting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom