Alex Trebek has passed (Update: new Jeopardy host stuff)) (1 Viewer)

After seeing most of the "test" hosts, none of them come close to capturing the charisma that Alex Trebek had. I wish I could put my finger on it, but what was it about Alex that makes his shoes so hard to fill? Ken Jennings acted like announcing the clues had to be done as fast as possible. The other subs have been no better. So I went and dug up the video of Alex's first show. It also seemed rapid and chaotic. His debut was far from the host that endeared him to his audience many years later.

After many years he grew into the host we miss so much today. Maybe we need to lower our expectations on the first impressions of Alex's replacement and try to see which of them will grow best into the role. Crossing my fingers.

Here's a list of the future try-outs:

Buzzy Cohen: May 17-28

Mayim Bialik: May 31-June 11

Savannah Guthrie: June 14-25

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: June 28-July 9

--- below are just one-week tryouts

George Stephanopoulos: July 12-16

Robin Roberts: July 19-23

LeVar Burton: July 26-30

David Faber: Aug. 2-6

Joe Buck: Aug. 9-13

That list still lacks a lot of imagination, but I have always been a big fan of Robin Roberts so I will be interested to see how she does. I'm hoping she has a good showing. And LeVar Burton finally gets his shot. I hope he does well as his supporters have been quite adamant. The rest are more network talking heads.

I don't know why people seem to despise Joe Buck so much. I can see him doing very well in this role. He's engaging, has a calm demeanor, and has some of the same dry wittiness that Trebek possessed.
I go back and watch the 2009 NFCCG every now and then. I get the feeling he was rooting for the Vikings. I could be wrong, it's just a gut feeling,but he came off as disappointed when Hartley made the game winning FG.

They need to get Mike Tirico and Mike Rowe in for a tryout.

Last edited:
After seeing most of the "test" hosts, none of them come close to capturing the charisma that Alex Trebek had. I wish I could put my finger on it, but what was it about Alex that makes his shoes so hard to fill? Ken Jennings acted like announcing the clues had to be done as fast as possible. The other subs have been no better. So I went and dug up the video of Alex's first show. It also seemed rapid and chaotic. His debut was far from the host that endeared him to his audience many years later.

After many years he grew into the host we miss so much today. Maybe we need to lower our expectations on the first impressions of Alex's replacement and try to see which of them will grow best into the role. Crossing my fingers.

Here's a list of the future try-outs:

Buzzy Cohen: May 17-28

Mayim Bialik: May 31-June 11

Savannah Guthrie: June 14-25

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: June 28-July 9

--- below are just one-week tryouts

George Stephanopoulos: July 12-16

Robin Roberts: July 19-23

LeVar Burton: July 26-30

David Faber: Aug. 2-6

Joe Buck: Aug. 9-13

That list still lacks a lot of imagination, but I have always been a big fan of Robin Roberts so I will be interested to see how she does. I'm hoping she has a good showing. And LeVar Burton finally gets his shot. I hope he does well as his supporters have been quite adamant. The rest are more network talking heads.

It’s kinda not fair judging the tryouts vs ‘having done it many decades’ trebek
It’s the same issue we’re going to have evaluating QBs the next few years - they’re going to be compared to a HoF qb- no one is going to benefit from that comparison

It’s kinda not fair judging the tryouts vs ‘having done it many decades’ trebek
It's not. Whoever they end up with permanently is going to be controversial. I wish they'd bump Levar up, though, because I want to see NOW if we're all gonna love him as much as we think we will.

It's not. Whoever they end up with permanently is going to be controversial. I wish they'd bump Levar up, though, because I want to see NOW if we're all gonna love him as much as we think we will.
I've respected him as an actor since Roots. I believe he'll make a great host .

Buzzy Cohen did a better job than I thought he would hosting the Tournament of Champions. But he has to lose that style of glasses he wears. Just put a red and white hat on him and...

1622317843400.png
I liked Buzzy but now I can't unsee this. Next!

I think Amy Farrah Fowler is doing great! (Of course, she did have a little experience hosting Fun With Flags with her boyfriend Sheldon, so). Not sure she wants the full-time gig since she does currently have a show which I completely forgot about and can't believe it's not cancelled yet (sorry, Mayim, but it's true), but I'm completely on board for it.

I know when Lavar finally gets up, the ratings will be through the roof. But I agree with my husband, they'll probably go more youthful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom