Alex Trebek has passed (Update: new Jeopardy host stuff)) (3 Viewers)

Jeopardy! would be sticking with its two-host formula. According to sources, Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings are finalizing deals to continue to share hosting duties on the venerable syndicated game show’s upcoming Season 39. A source for Sony Pictures TV, which produces Jeopardy! would not comment on speculation.

Bialik, who previously was announced as host of the Jeopardy! primetime and spinoff series, and former Jeopardy! champion Jennings had been filling in as guest hosts of the mothership syndicated program following the abrupt exit of Mike Richards as host in August after one day of tapings. The two were subsequently named full-time hosts for the remainder of Season 38. The pairing seemed to work well, and was well received by fans.........

Well received by fans might be a bit of a stretch. Many have called out the show and Mayim on a number of occasions and to a lesser degree, Ken.

My husband wants Ken as permanent, I'm fine with either or to stay sharing. That's probably not the best idea, though.

I still say the best choice is the one they didn't select. But if it had to be one of the two, I'd go with Mayim. Just more of a personality than Ken.

I still say the best choice is the one they didn't select. But if it had to be one of the two, I'd go with Mayim. Just more of a personality than Ken.
Ken just seems to have an air of superiority about him. I'd rather Mayim, as well, but I'm ok with the current formula. Both are miles ahead of Micheal Richards.

Ken just seems to have an air of superiority about him. I'd rather Mayim, as well, but I'm ok with the current formula. Both are miles ahead of Micheal Richards.
I see Ken as someone I could sit down and have beers with. Perhaps I should check my air.

I'm not a fan. Her pacing is awkward and after watching her a few times, I just can't watch her anymore. It feels like she only has the job because of name, not because she's good at it.

Drama on Jeopardy…

Yep, we caught that and wondered why it was different just cos he said he had started to correct her even though the time alotted had not run out. I was hoping they'd correct it during the show, as they sometimes do, and credit her for the correct answer.

Why are contestants not playing to win? It is ridiculous.

The scheduling gods have spoken, they are commencing the Tournament of Champions broadcast the same week -- and same local channel as the most boring .... I mean, as the World Series.

The scheduling gods have spoken, they are commencing the Tournament of Champions broadcast the same week -- and same local channel as the most boring .... I mean, as the World Series.
I just wonder how long we will have to endure Rowan.

CULVER CITY, Calif. — On television, an episode of “Jeopardy!” moves with a satisfying swiftness, but during a taping, the game can abruptly screech to a halt. One incident in October saw a contestant offer a response that was initially deemed wrong, but it was an unexpected guess.

So just to double-, triple- and quadruple-check that no one missed anything while constructing the clue, a panel of judges — sitting near the stage with laptops, piles of papers, books and Webster’s Dictionary — stopped the proceedings to do more research.

During these moments, host Ken Jennings emerges from the lectern and strolls across the stage like a low-key superhero in a fancy suit, arriving to rescue the audience from 10 minutes of boredom. “Does anyone have any questions?”

Hands shoot up across the rows in the chilly room at Sony Pictures Studios: How many people apply for the show? About 100,000 every year. Around 400 make it.

What is behind the lectern? Jennings has a tablet, and fellow host Mayim Bialik uses a complicated highlighter system for Final Jeopardy.

Is Jennings friends with other “Jeopardy!” champions? He is tight with James Holzhauer, the 2019 phenom who came this close to breaking the earnings record that Jennings held from 2004, but he has had to scale back, because hosts are not supposed to hang out with contestants.

“Which, if you have met James, is not the hugest loss,” Jennings says, as the audience cracks up at the unexpected burn from the mild-mannered trivia king. “Just kidding. He is lovely.”

Eventually, producers give the go-ahead to restart. The contestant’s answer is confirmed incorrect. “You will watch that on TV,” Jennings tells the audience during another such break, “and it will all be like a wonderful dream.”

Jennings, 48, often thinks about life’s funny timing. If he had not gone on a road trip with a friend to try out for “Jeopardy!” right around when the show lifted its limit of five games, he never would have stunned the world by reeling off 74 wins in a row, never would have won about $2.5 million, never would have become a celebrity instead of living the alternate version of his life, in which he envisions himself as “a mildly unhappy Salt Lake City computer programmer.”

And he really never would have predicted that he would one day replace the legendary Alex Trebek.

As proof, we direct you to Jennings’s Reddit username, which is WatsonsBitch. “See, that is the kind of thing you do when you are absolutely convinced you are not going to be host of ‘Jeopardy!,’ ” Jennings said, laughing, during an interview after the taping. (The name is a reference to IBM supercomputer Watson, the machine that crushed Jennings in a competition-slash-ratings stunt in 2011.).............

The first two games of the TOC have been really weird in a number of ways. Really weird. It is fascinating seeing some folks who had such command of things when they were on their winning streaks struggle against other players who, on the surface, appear to be much more on their level.

The first two games of the TOC have been really weird in a number of ways. Really weird. It is fascinating seeing some folks who had such command of things when they were on their winning streaks struggle against other players who, on the surface, appear to be much more on their level.
Yeah, it's sort of been lackluster so far. The champs are making a lot of incorrect answers and leaving some clues unanswered altogether which is unusual (and I notice because so far I'm not saying "HOW in the world did they know that?" as often as I usually do). And while the TOC is always much more difficult and I do horribly, there's been at least 1 answer I knew which surprised me NONE of them got and 1 missed Daily Double (the one about the EID MAR coin). I know Matt and Amy will put me in my place, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom