Ali Highsmith Only Runs 4.96 (1 Viewer)

Rich Eisen ran a 6.34 or so in a suit and loafers. Would have been a good contest between him and Ali had Rich actually had sneakers and shorts on....

Rich Eisen ran a 6.34 or so in a suit and loafers. Would have been a good contest between him and Ali had Rich actually had sneakers and shorts on....

Great point.

I think with sneakers and shorts Rich would run a 5.8-5.9

Here is a picture of Ali after he ran his infamous 40

Attachments

• large_slug.jpg
    large_slug.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 7
Ali Highsmith obviously was jogging because he didnt want the other guys to feel bad... ;)

Seriously, he's going to run a better 40 time at his pro day. You can see that he ran a 4.29 shuttle on the NFL.com website. The rule of thumb is that you add 0.3 seconds to your shuttle for your estimated 40 yard dash. If you look at the shuttle list, you will see the rest of the LBers listed fall into that range in the shuttle.

There isn't a person on the face of this earth that can run a 4.29 20 yd shuttle and a 5.0/40 yd dash. Something is wrong. I didn't see Ali run, but something was obviously off. The timer starts when a player moves. Perhaps Ali's technique set the timer off before he was really running?

Regardless of what was actually recorded, a 4.29 shuttle and a 5.0/40 just don't match up. There has to be an explanation somewhere in there and anyone who watches gametape of Ali Highsmith is going to lean to the 4.29 shuttle being the more accurate of the two times.

Now, I know there are going to be people that will chime in soon after I post this calling me a homer, saying that the timer doesn't lie, I wouldn't be posting this if he hadn't attended LSu, etc. That's fine. Just wait until his Pro Day and you'll see.

Here is a picture of Ali after he ran his infamous 40

1343112888_d02d4252ac.jpg

Ali Highsmith obviously was jogging because he didnt want the other guys to feel bad... ;)

Seriously, he's going to run a better 40 time at his pro day. You can see that he ran a 4.29 shuttle on the NFL.com website. The rule of thumb is that you add 0.3 seconds to your shuttle for your estimated 40 yard dash. If you look at the shuttle list, you will see the rest of the LBers listed fall into that range in the shuttle.

There isn't a person on the face of this earth that can run a 4.29 20 yd shuttle and a 5.0/40 yd dash. Something is wrong. I didn't see Ali run, but something was obviously off. The timer starts when a player moves. Perhaps Ali's technique set the timer off before he was really running?

Regardless of what was actually recorded, a 4.29 shuttle and a 5.0/40 just don't match up. There has to be an explanation somewhere in there and anyone who watches gametape of Ali Highsmith is going to lean to the 4.29 shuttle being the more accurate of the two times.

Now, I know there are going to be people that will chime in soon after I post this calling me a homer, saying that the timer doesn't lie, I wouldn't be posting this if he hadn't attended LSu, etc. That's fine. Just wait until his Pro Day and you'll see.

Homer! (Just kidding!)

Actually, I saw both of Highsmith's runs, I thought he came out of the blocks just fine. Nothing awkward about his starts. As I saw it (and others may have seen it differently), he looked like his was running in quicksand during the final 20 yards. He didn't seem to be hobbled, just slow.

As for the shuttle, he did look a bit more fluid in some of his transition drills, but not spectacular in my opinion. I really feel bad for the guy. I honestly think that his draft status is in jeopardy if he does not markedly improve his time during his Pro Day. I know, some will say that I'm being too extreme here, but every year we so-called "top prospect" who goes undrafted (there were a few mentioned earlier in the thread). Highsmith may be that guy--he was already considered a guy with marginal size (I thought he might transition to safety ala Boulware) and now this poor showing.

Just watched him run it. No slipping, no bad start, just an awful run, both times. He really looked like an OL running, no 2nd gear. Just horrid.

Actually, I saw both of Highsmith's runs, I thought he came out of the blocks just fine. Nothing awkward about his starts. As I saw it (and others may have seen it differently), he looked like his was running in quicksand during the final 20 yards. He didn't seem to be hobbled, just slow.

I wonder what his 10-yard and 20-yard dash times were. I would think that time would be more important for a LB. If he's ever running 40 yards at a time, something during the play has already gone wrong.

If he can't do better at the Pro Day, he's probably looking at UDFA status. Personally, I find his 40 times shocking. His speed was what was supposed to make people overlook his size.

For reference, last year Jon Beason ran in the 4.7s at the combine, then turned in a 4.5-4.6 at his Pro Day. Most players run slower at the combine than they do at their Pro Day and more often than not they run on a different surface because the one in Indy is notoriously tough to get a good time on. However, with Highsmith if he improved it by .2 of a second he would still be in the mid 4.7s which is way too slow for an undersized linebacker.

Maybe all that time hiding behind that great DL is starting to show !!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom