Aliens?? [NASA Discovery Announcement] (1 Viewer)

I think the important thing to remember is that it doesn't appear that all of the P is replaced with As. I can see some sort of modified structure with just enough P to hold it together while the As is substituted in. Also remember that the bacteria were normal and had P. When they divide they would assumingly split the P equally. So each would still have some P. They also couldn't remove all traces of P from the media. Which is puzzling to me since I think that would be easy...there is not airborne source of P so your only P source is the water you used. Only way i see it is with some of the contaminants in the stuff added to the water.

Much like when hydrothermal vents were discovered... there will be alot of conjecture and what ifs. BUT after more groups start looking at this and the knowledge base expands, we will start to find out if DNA is purely AS or if its some sort of hybrid.

It may be a step to say life could have evolved twice on Earth. more than likely this is the case of bacteria finding a way and showing that life might not be as difficult to find.

There are a whole bunch of As rich areas.... when we find something more complex than a bacteria...that when the fun begins and biochemistry gets rewritten.

Completely agree. I would suspect that there is a tolerance point. As certain % a vs P% where the bacteria can no longer survive.

How different biochemically are the complex organisms near hydrothermal vents than organisms if nonextreme environments?

I don't even think they teach the term "junk DNA" any more. Now they call it non coding DNA. Much of what we at one time was thought to be "junk" has now been identified as Transcriptional factors, regulators, telomeres, binding sites for regulatory and other proteins, Etc.

arsenic_based_life.png

If you have a stock portfolio, grab some shares in Prentice Hall, quick! :hihi:

just make sure you don't take out any options in their Homeschool Resources Division... that branch expects to completely unaffected by these developments

Wow. No proof that As was incorporated in the DNA at all. Seems like NASA would have done a better job vetting the research before making an announcement with such far reaching implications.

This is officially now way over my head, but I wonder if the paper is so flawed, how did it get through the peer-review process and get published in a reputable journal?

I definitely got the impression during the press conference that Dr. Wolfe-Simon's peers thought she was a little eccentric and she had proved them wrong. (Or so she believed)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom