Aliens?? [NASA Discovery Announcement] (1 Viewer)

My bet is that they found traces of arsenic on Titan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Seriously? If it was so much as an extraterrestrial bacterium, it would be earth-shattering. Discovery of any kind of life on another planet would be absolutely amazing.

I agree completely, it's just that people's expectations and imaginations tend to run off the tracks a bit. Wasn't trying to downplay it, I wait with anticipation.

Perhaps one of the Mars rovers hit bacteria near the frozen polar cap? That would be an explosion in the scientific community and certainly worth keeping a lid on until the scheduled announcement.

It probably will end up being nothing of great consequence, but they've piqued my curiosity!

Cassini sampled the thin atmosphere on Rhea a few days ago, then yesterday did a close fly-by of Enceladus. Maybe we'll get some details on some findings there.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/whycassini/cassini20101126.html

If it's the Mars rover, it very well could be bacteria, or some kind of single-celled fossilized remain. That would be, like you said, an explosion, and it would impact every part of the science community, not just biologists and astronomers.

Maybe a biologist or something of that sort can tell me this: if we find life on another planet, do we expect it to look anything like ours? Do we expect that any life must be carbon based, or start from cells as we know them? I've always wondered that...would we even know life when we saw it?

That's not rhetorical, I'm really interested what they're actually LOOKING for.

Thorin said:
I agree completely, it's just that people's expectations and imaginations tend to run off the tracks a bit. Wasn't trying to downplay it, I wait with anticipation.

I see what you're saying. Some people would actually hear that bacteria had been found in the ice caps and think "that's disappointing, where are the Martians?"

My bet is that they found traces of arsenic on Titan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

This post made me google "arsenic on Titan", and I found this article from 2007 that answers my last post.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/06/science/06cnd-alien.html?_r=1

So, yeah, they're open to looking for some pretty weird stuff out there.

EDIT: A rumor going around the internets is something terrestrial, but "weird". So, unlike everything previously known on Earth, does not share a common ancestor. That would be as big as an ET life finding. Again, just a rumor.

Gas pockets in Uranis? :giggles:

several speculations out there now...

Arsenic on Titan/bacteria using it for photsynthesis
Sustainable life conditions/living organisms on Rhea

Discover.com writer thinks :

It's more likely they've found a new way life can exist and that evidence for these conditions exists on other worlds. But without more info, I won't speculate any farther than that."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/01/did-e-t-finally-phone-home/?hpt=C2

They're not "aliens", they're fallen angelic demons that are described in the pages of the bible.

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
Rev 12:8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Rev 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
Rev 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Jud 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
Jud 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
Jud 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
Jud 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

Mat 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Mat 24:37 But as the days of Noah[Genesis 6] were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mat 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark,
Mat 24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Isa 59:5 They hatch cockatrice' eggs, and weave the spider's web: he that eateth of their eggs dieth, and that which is crushed breaketh out into a viper.

Joe Jordan has been a long-time researcher of UFO abductions - one thing he noticed that those that called out the name of Jesus while they were being attempted to be abducted, the abductions stopped abrubtly.

Joe Jordan – Spiritual Warfare and Abduction Phenomena
http://drywind.net/blog/ufo-bible-prophecy/joe-jordan-spiritual-warfare-and-abduction-phenomena/734/

Joe Jordan - Unholy Communion 2009
http://vimeo.com/5902168

They're not "aliens", they're fallen angelic demons that are described in the pages of the bible.

Was this really necessary? Cause this thread is about science. Specifically, the "aliens" would be bacterial, devoid of any spaceships, and firmly grounded in reality. So this discussion is none of your concern.

Anyway, 4 hours til the press conference, and most of the (not insane) buzz on the internet is about a possible find of arsenic metabolizing life on Earth. Which would force us to question exactly what we're looking for out there.

It would be pretty exciting, because that life would come from a different "family tree" than anything we currently know about. Maybe something that has ancestors before the fabled primordial ooze. For all intents and purposes, it would be alien.

Disclaimer: I am not an astronomer nor a biologist, so if I stated that wrong, please correct me. I'm getting this all from the internets. :covri:

P.S. Please, if you're like TunaFan, once this announcement comes out, whatever it is, can you just leave us alone in this thread? Let us discuss our heresies in peace. We'll burn in hell later.

According to Gizmodo, a bacteria was found in Lake Mono, California whose DNA is composed with arsenic instead of phosphorous. Link

Not as immediately exciting as alien life form, but still a major discovery.

It would be pretty exciting, because that life would come from a different "family tree" than anything we currently know about. Maybe something that has ancestors before the fabled primordial ooze. For all intents and purposes, it would be alien.

There's only one "family tree" when it comes to life, and God is at the top. If God could make children of Abraham out of stones, then He can make bacteria that live in methane, oxygen, arsenic, or even antipop's bedroom. Don't try to stifle the Truth. Science is just how God communicates to us of limited understanding. You cannot separate the two.

EDIT: evnjnsn beat me to it on the link.

I would argue that this is just as exciting as extraterrestrial life.

Jonesy, you know what I meant. If god set the evolutionary process in motion, fine. But this tells us that he did it twice, independently, starting with two different organisms as the first. And if Gizmodo's right, then that's the find of the century. Biologically, it's the find of...well, since there was biology.

It doesn't matter who created anything. This is new life as compared to everything on Earth. How can anyone not be intrigued by that?

Cannot argue with the coolness factor...

I know they had been theorizing about the possibilities of life in the poisonous lake and I think this proves the at life will always find a way to survive. If you are a firm believer of evolution (and how can you not, especially now), this discovery shouldn't be earth-shattering.

There's only one "family tree" when it comes to life, and God is at the top. If God could make children of Abraham out of stones, then He can make bacteria that live in methane, oxygen, arsenic, or even antipop's bedroom. Don't try to stifle the Truth. Science is just how God communicates to us of limited understanding. You cannot separate the two.

But did he?

Thats the root of the evolutionary question...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom