All about Game film! (1 Viewer)

tophergillock

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I have watched a lot of game film on the projected first round draft picks, as many of you have. Not only do I believe that game film is the true tell all, but I also believe combine stats are somewhat overrated. With that being said I have a few guys that stood out to me as well as a few guys who I'd stay away from.

Also I should mention that I believe there is no such thing as reaching in the draft. If you feel like a guy is your guy and he is not projected to be picked for another 10 to 15 picks get him anyway. This does not work all the time (Jonathan Sullivan) but since no draft prospect is a guarantee get the guy you like.

Guys that didn't stand out to me:

Ziggy Ansah - He has potential, but he doesn't penetrate effectively enough. He relies on getting around the edge too often and also has serious stamina issues.

Barkevious Mingo - The kid has speed, but it takes more than that too become a dominant pass rusher in the nfl. He doesn't shed blocks well at all, and too often takes himself out of the play by over pursuing. Every time I look at game film (even Mingo's highlights) 2 or 3 other LSU Defensive guys stand out more than Mingo.

Alex Okafor - He just seems to get lost even on man blocks. His ceiling is low in my opinion. He is mainly a 4-3 guy anyway so the saints won't look his way.

On the fence about :

Datone Jones - While I do think he is somewhat NFL ready I think his ceiling is low. The things he does well now he can continue to do in the nfl (has good bend around the edge, and chases ball carries well) but I notice he disappears when facing elite tackles.

Jarvis Jones - If what I said about game film being a tell all is completely true then Jones should be a no brainer must have guy. I am worried about work ethic and the spinal injury here. If the scouting staff is 100% sure that Jones can overcome the spinal condition and bust he butt to be great, draft him, if not don't.

Margus Hunt - He has a lot of question marks but he does a few things really well. ATTACKS!!! I would like to see him wrap up when tackle but this kids power is unreal. He has good flexibility for a big guy. I think he bends around the edge better than some of the scouting reports I have read. He could be a guy who SP might use on Offense too in a goalline situation. Kinda like Vrabel with the pats. Could be interesting.

Guys that stood out:

Alec Ogletree - I did not like the off the field issues and injury history of Ogletree and so at first I did not even watch much film on him. However, he came back from injury well and I believe our staff can keep a player grounded and focused. Since then I have watched a lot of film on this kid and liked what I saw. He penetrates in the back field well, and follows the ball amazingly. He doesn't get caught by fakes and plays and attacks the ball carrier whoever that may be. I think what I like most is his cover ability. I saw some amazing coverage on TE's and RB's out of the backfield. (Which would help in this division). He would be able to play almost any LB position.

Tavon Austin - I have been all about drafting this guy for a while now. I know we need D but to have playmakers like Sproles, Graham, and Colston and Morgan and Austin stretching the field. WOW. He can also come across the middle and cause havoc their. We would have a dynamic RB in Sproles, and a dynamic WR in Austin. Good Luck defending that speed.

Arthur Brown - If we decide to go ILB this kid is a must. Probably the most instinctive guy in the draft. Slightly undersized but if my memory serves me right, the saints had a pretty good slightly undersized ILB in guy by the name of Sam Mills. Brown could be that type of guy in this Defense. He could be a guy who grows into a leader type role. The best thing about Brown is his tackling ability. He has great technique and wraps up players well. We need this trait more than any other on our Defense right now.

Let me know what you guys think. Go Saints!!!!!

I totally agree with Ansah. I have a really good Mormon friend and watched a lot of BYU games with him. ziggy would either have a dominant game or completely disappear. His athleticism allowed him to excel against awful competition, but when put up against any bit of real talent, he was manhandled.

What do you mean by game film? TV broadcast, YouTube clips, or actual game film from universities with multiple angles/focus?

Tavon Austin reminds me of Dion Lewis a couple of years ago. Great college player but not really NFL quality.

Agree on both Brown and Austin. Mentioned in a post a while back about how instinctive Brown was. Very high motor. Looks smaller than his listed size. Sheds blocks like nothing I've seen in a while, at that size anyway. Austin is just .... Well. AUSTIN!! You beloved Tiger fans should know about him from his junior yr when they played you guys.

points for "the kid" and "game film", but you lose points for "in the nfl" instead of taking the opportunity to drop an "in this league". :9:

How do you get game film? Are you a scout?

Don't have to have "collegiate provided" game film to see a guy on tape. I understand as a "scout" you pour over hours of film, good bad and ugly. But for us hobbyists, YouTube provides a wealth of amateur highlights and breakdowns that allow us to form our own opinions. That's what makes forums like these so great. We all gather info separately then come here to share. But good post by the OP. I agree on some of the points, others I differ on. One player I haven't backed off of is jones. Like you say, playmaking on tape is the best indicator of a players ability. Jones has been cleared by numerous doctors (only USC's docs didn't feel comfortable), and he is a terror. No prospect is perfect and all have points to work on on the next level. But jones flat out produced on the highest level of competition consistently. A guy I'm not very high on in our system that many on this board seem to be is Sheldon Richardson. He is a good player, explosive and productive. But he isn't quite 300 lbs and only 6'2. I feel like he'll be a great fit in a 4-3 like Carolina or Tampa, but not with us. A misuse of his talents would be ashame. (Much like we misuse ingrams talents)

Agree on both Brown and Austin. Mentioned in a post a while back about how instinctive Brown was. Very high motor. Looks smaller than his listed size. Sheds blocks like nothing I've seen in a while, at that size anyway. Austin is just .... Well. AUSTIN!! You beloved Tiger fans should know about him from his junior yr when they played you guys.

Your sig is pretty awesome.

I think of the players you mention Brown, Ogletree, Ansah, and Okafor are terrible scheme fits. We are a 3-defense and your ILB have to be able to defend the run. Brown and Ogletree fit the mold of a poor mans Jonathon Vilma entering the NFL. They would be nickel LBs in our system.

Ansah and Okafor are 4-3 DEs. I also think that Hunt is a 4-3 DE...but he shouldn't be a 1st rounder.

I think that Datone Jones have an NFL body but is only an above average player. Not a bad scheme fit at 3-tech though.

I am a big fan of Austin...but with a perennial top 5 passing team...and not having one playmaker on defense...if there is an elite defensive player on the board, then you have to go defense.

Jarvis Jones neck is a non-factor. I'll let the coaches make a decision on his work ethic but his play on the field speaks for itself. He's the biggest playmaker on defense in the draft.

I think of the players you mention Brown, Ogletree, Ansah, and Okafor are terrible scheme fits. We are a 3-defense and your ILB have to be able to defend the run. Brown and Ogletree fit the mold of a poor mans Jonathon Vilma entering the NFL. They would be nickel LBs in our system.

Ansah and Okafor are 4-3 DEs. I also think that Hunt is a 4-3 DE...but he shouldn't be a 1st rounder.

I think that Datone Jones have an NFL body but is only an above average player. Not a bad scheme fit at 3-tech though.

I am a big fan of Austin...but with a perennial top 5 passing team...and not having one playmaker on defense...if there is an elite defensive player on the board, then you have to go defense.

Jarvis Jones neck is a non-factor. I'll let the coaches make a decision on his work ethic but his play on the field speaks for itself. He's the biggest playmaker on defense in the draft.

My only issue with ur post is your assessment of Ogletree. He's a scheme fit simply because he can play all 4 LB positions. And if his ILB play in college doesn't translate well in the NFL, his skillset doesn't limit him to the inside n although he excelled he was still prolly played outta position at UGA. He would b a great fit at SOLB IMO. He has strong pass rush potential from the edge n his coverage abilities are excellent. His athleticism n play on the field should easily make him 1 of the top prospects in this draft. His red flags has dragged down his draft stock a bit ofcourse, but his game film is undeniable

If we go LB at all in round one, I want Jarvis Jones if hes there.

I agree on Arthur Brown. He is a tackling monster with extremely good instincts and short area quickness. He will be a Russell Wilson steal on D overlooked for his size (even though 6 ft 240 lb is not small for a ILB, look at Navarro Bowman). If you're looking for an impact player on the front seven, Arthur Brown is your guy.

Watch 0:36

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QUuGUNAIWYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom