All Good Things Must Come To An End (Brees) (1 Viewer)

JohnnyCash

#WDN4L
Reaction score
Drew Brees has been simply awesome since he's been here. The greatest player to ever wear the black & gold by far! But his decline is becoming more and more evident. He never had a cannon arm but he use to be able to get enough mustard on those passes. As it appears Drew is no longer capable of making all the throws and everything over 30+ yards has way too much air under it and is short. His deep ball is now pretty much a jump ball for the receiver and it's always late. It must be frustrating for Ginn... Several times he's been open and streaking down the field but we can't hit him in stride. As the year has gone on Brees has been progressively worse. This won't be a popular post but it's the truth, Drew's arm is now a liability

7throundpick

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Except that he had the highest completion % in NFL history, the highest passer rating in the league this year, the best TD/Int ratio and is 2nd in MVP voting. But besides that, yes, a liability for sure.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Except that he had the highest completion % in NFL history, the highest passer rating in the league this year, the best TD/Int ratio and is 2nd in MVP voting. But besides that, yes, a liability for sure.
I love Drew but Chad Pennington had great accuracy and that's what you might have with Drew next season.

Makes it easier to defend when you know the deep ball isn't there.

Believe your eyes. The OP has a point.

Ginn came back, the deep ball did not. And lately I've seen Drew miss more throws than ever. Things that used to be automatic. And really, on the missed call if the DB had for some reason just turned around sooner to play the ball, that could have been a pick 6 the other way.

All explosion and quick strike ability evaporated out of our offense 2nd half of season and the only deep shots attempted fell short or had wobble on them. The ball can still travel 50 yards but velocity looks weaker.

I don't want to see it but starting to believe what I am seeing until I see something else.

He's still got enough to play but we are going to have to continue to be a completely different team from top to bottom to win games running the ball and with short/intermediate passing, and defense. We are going to have to be more like the Ravens and not sure how easy that gets the team back into position for the Super Bowl.

These will be the thoughts of offseason...

Last edited:

NightHawk

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
It's not stupidity.. it's a reality. Drew is amazing in short to medium passes but the deep ball this season has floated allot causing jump balls when the intended wr was open. It's not a knock on Brees, age is undefeated period. With that said Drew did not lose this game.

SoupNazi

Rookie
Reaction score
I certainly think he has more limitations now but I think we should keep riding him for at least a couple more seasons.

Dr. Sting

Veteran
Reaction score
I think he has one more year but we will need to become a defensive team to make it work. He definitely wore down towards the end of the season. Still a very good QB at the end, but not elite. What I noticed is that teams are taking the passes away down the seam that Drew used to thrive on. Now he they force him to to throw deep outs which he struggles with due to lack of arm strength, or just or dink and dunk since he can't go over the top unless he can step up in the pocket . This is what makes the Rams a bad match up for us because of their DTs. Hard to climb the pocket with Suh and Donald collapsing it from the middle.

blackadder

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think he has one more year but we will need to become a defensive team to make it work. He definitely wore down towards the end of the season. Still a very good QB at the end, but not elite. What I noticed is that teams are taking the passes away down the seam that Drew used to thrive on. Now he they force him to to throw deep outs which he struggles with due to lack of arm strength, or just or dink and dunk since he can't go over the top unless he can step up in the pocket . This is what makes the Rams a bad match up for us because of their DTs. Hard to climb the pocket with Suh and Donald collapsing it from the middle.
We don't really have a trustworthy seam receiver anymore. I think he got a couple earlier in the season and if I recall Watson dropped at least one.

But the kind of deeper timing stuff he used to throw to Colston with obvious zip have gone away. Definitely going to have to sustain a different kind of football for it to work. Could be another challenge.

blackadder

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I guess 2am is could point to end the sorrow and pack in. Thanks for nothing Roger.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
And i'm pretty sure you look like a genius right now ....
And I'm pretty sure you've said what every other idiot has been saying since like 2012.

"Drew can't go forever!! Father Time is undefeated!!!" Almost like someone wants to proudly be the one to say "I called it!" when he officially has declined passed the point of no return.

OP
OP
JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash

#WDN4L
Reaction score
And I'm pretty sure you've said what every other idiot has been saying since like 2012.

"Drew can't go forever!! Father Time is undefeated!!!" Almost like someone wants to proudly be the one to say "I called it!" when he officially has declined passed the point of no return.

Easy there Cowboy.:sneaky: You brought this all on yourself with your ill advised "stupidity" remark when basically (as others have said) what was said was not bashing brees but it was pointing out the obvious. The obvious that no one wants to talk about but i think should be talked about. Dude, i love Brees. But i love my team even more and quite frankly the future at QB is concerning. Now, we're all a bunch of frustrated Saints fans that are on the wrong end of the worst no-call in history that could very well impact the legacy of our future HOF QB and so maybe my timing was bad because emotions are still high. But ya gotta admit, he's not getting any younger. This being said, He's still my QB and i'll support him and my Saints no matter what! And Btw, it wasn't Brees fault that we're even having this conversation. That honor goes to those fake footlocker employee imposters!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)