All I Can Say (Shannon Hoon documentary) released today (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The film is largely based on hundreds of hours of personal footage shot by Hoon himself before his overdose death in New Orleans in October 1995 just hours before the band was to play a show at Tipitina's.

UPDATE: All I Can Say will arrive in “virtual cinemas, record stores and music venues” on June 26th.

All I Can Say — the long-in-the-works documentary about late Blind Melon singer Shannon Hoon — has added Double E Pictures and Live Nation Productions as executive producers on the film, which is currently on the festival circuit. It’s expected to drop in the U.S. in 2020.

Photographer and co-director Danny Clinch initially launched a Kickstarter in 2015 to finance the documentary; Clinch and Hoon were close friends, and the photographer had unfettered access and over 200 hours of footage that spanned from 1990 to Hoon’s overdose death shortly after the release of Blind Melon’s sophomore LP Soup in 1995.

“He was really an endearing character,” Clinch told Rolling Stone in 2015. “He could just become your best friend straight away. His energy was great. He was really creative and super friendly. He definitely liked to have a good time and he enjoyed the rock & roll lifestyle for sure.”

This review is good:

I remember when it happened.. i was working in downtown NOLA at the time, and IIRC he OD’d on their tour bus which was parked in one of the parking lots in the CBD, like on Carondelet i think.. I’m not really a big enough fan of their music to watch a doc on them in ordinary times, but since we’re in quarantine, who knows maybe i will

They've been working on this for years, glad they're finally releasing it (I think it might have debuted earlier this year, or it was at least scheduled to but the pandemic may have scuttled the planned initial showings). They were a really good band (the replacement singer they have now is alright, but he can't write as well as Hoon did). I remember trying to figure out how I was going to get to that Tipitina's show, and then finding out he died.

I remember when it happened.. i was working in downtown NOLA at the time, and IIRC he OD’d on their tour bus which was parked in one of the parking lots in the CBD, like on Carondelet i think.. I’m not really a big enough fan of their music to watch a doc on them in ordinary times, but since we’re in quarantine, who knows maybe i will
If all you know is No Rain, you're missing out...

I believe it was Royal Street.

If all you know is No Rain, you're missing out...

I usually skipped No Rain - not that I didn't like it, but it was really poppy and on the radio so much. I remember wearing out my Soup CD. Great record.

"No Rain" is an obvious cry for help.

I could name a few Kurt Cobain songs too.
The whole Soup album is a cry for help, it's like an exposed raw nerve. I couldn't listen to it for years after Hoon died, but it's forking brilliant, and the Soup outtakes that ended up on Nico were the highlights of that album. The band was really on fire when they recorded it (at Kingsway Studios in New Orleans, btw).

The whole Soup album is a cry for help, it's like an exposed raw nerve. I couldn't listen to it for years after Hoon died, but it's forking brilliant, and the Soup outtakes that ended up on Nico were the highlights of that album. The band was really on fire when they recorded it (at Kingsway Studios in New Orleans, btw).

Most people just remember the Bee Girl.

This guy was in serious pain.

I think Change was Shannon Hoon's defining song, which they actually played on Letterman the day Kurt Cobain's body was found...

1593190388167.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom