All In One Punter/Kicker (1 Viewer)

LafourcheSaint

Silvergun Superman
Reaction score
Reading the Morstead thread about him dropkicking and kicking fieldgoals I started to wonder if....

In the next couple years will teams not carry both a punter and a kicker to save a roster spot and instead use someone who could do both. It's not inconceivable that someone could master both punting and kicking at an NFL level.

I would imagine that it would put a lot wear and tear on the his leg throughout the season though.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think we should a new "ALL THINGS PUNTER" forum.

muddbug2

All-Pro
Reaction score
Reading the Morstead thread about him dropkicking and kicking fieldgoals I started to wonder if....

In the next couple years will teams not carry both a punter and a kicker to save a roster spot and instead use someone who could do both. It's not inconceivable that someone could master both punting and kicking at an NFL level.

I would imagine that it would put a lot wear and tear on the his leg throughout the season though.

Like Russell Erxleben?

MSUSousaphone

Owning the CONCACAF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt it. Every now and then someone will come along who is amazing at both punting AND kicking...but odds are, most will only be great at one thing and decent at the other. You would have to sacrifice one facet of the kicking game to do that.

WhoDATX512

High Priest of WhoDat
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

It would be alot more work than that player would be used to but how much wear and tear can you get from kicking field goals and punts throughout a game? I've never done either of them except for fun but I would imagine if the other players are getting hit and beat up left and right, than a few extra kicks shouldnt be a problem for a pro.

I think it would be awesome to have someone that could do both plus it'd free up a roster spot

chad_moore

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I highly doubt this will happen for a couple reasons:

1. When you put ONE player covering TWO positions, it's either feast or famine. If that ONE player gets hurt, you're then looking for a replacement for TWO positions. The likelihood of finding an athlete that can do both is not someone you're gonna find off the street or that was cut by another team. If you're in the middle of the season, you then have to worry about cutting someone that you didn't have to prior to the injury.

2. There are those that can punt, those that can kickoff and those that can kick field goals. Each has a different style and it is very rare that you find someone that can do all three. Take a look at the Raiders. They probably have the best kicker and punter in the league. You don't see those guys switching it up and trying to take on all three duties.

3. Sure you see guys like Ochocinco doing it in preseason, but when the game is on the line with one second left on the clock and you need to kick a 45 yarder to win the game by two...OR....you're in OT and need it to finish out your opponenet, do you want a replacement or a guy that is not known for it to be "That Guy?"

saint-58

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
We've been there and done that!!!!!

Wasted a first round pick on what was thought to be a hybrid kicker.......

Result---- DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• kicker.jpg
    kicker.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 330

SAINT__STEVEN

IN for that TITle Run
Reaction score
The Falcons did this (dual role PK/P) a couple of seasons ago w/ Michael Koenen. Didn't work out that great for them.

muddbug2

All-Pro
Reaction score
I believe Atlanta tried to do that a few years back. I think that was the year they brought in Jason Elam.

Saints drafted Russell Erxleben, 1979, with the 11th over all pick. Did not work out very well at all, but did lead to the drafting of Morten Andersen in 1982.

Big $

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I asked this same question to a friend of mine who punted for many years in the NFL (including the Saints) and he said it would be too much to handle. It takes different skill sets to perform in both positions. These guys hone their skills to be the best at that movement or skill.

Razzilon

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
You need 2 kickers, punter and kicker for several reasons.

sainthood

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Kicking fieldgoals in the NFL is way to stressful much like a PGA golfer to have it be a part time job. If you miss more than one or two field goals in a year you are in trouble. There is an expectation for perfection and consistency. I don't think you can get that while also trying to punt.

greatnorthwest

bear season boyee
Reaction score
We've seen he's got a monster leg. I think that he does a ton better than our other guys at providing touchbacks on kickoffs, which goes a long way in helping us with field position battles. I mean, the dude had all five kickoffs inside the end zone with four touchbacks against the Jets. Has he ever tried kicking any field goals for us? We know he's got the distance...what about the accuracy?

Cuozzo67

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Like Russell Erxleben?

That name should be banned from ever being used on this board. Talk about a jinx. He wasn't the only "all-in-one" kicker to flop. Steve Little, a kicker/punter from Arkansas, was taken in the 1st round by the Cardinals the year before (1978) "you know who" was selected. You would have thought Dick Nolan would have learned from the Cardinals' mistake. But he didn't. It really cost him credibility w/his own players and the beginning of the end for his regime. There were also problems with several other players who were using illegal stuff ... and I don't mean steroids or pot. Nolan had some good people around him, but he also had players that you might call "coach killers."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom