All In One Punter/Kicker (1 Viewer)

LafourcheSaint

Silvergun Superman
Reaction score
Reading the Morstead thread about him dropkicking and kicking fieldgoals I started to wonder if....

In the next couple years will teams not carry both a punter and a kicker to save a roster spot and instead use someone who could do both. It's not inconceivable that someone could master both punting and kicking at an NFL level.

I would imagine that it would put a lot wear and tear on the his leg throughout the season though.

Reading the Morstead thread about him dropkicking and kicking fieldgoals I started to wonder if....

In the next couple years will teams not carry both a punter and a kicker to save a roster spot and instead use someone who could do both. It's not inconceivable that someone could master both punting and kicking at an NFL level.

I would imagine that it would put a lot wear and tear on the his leg throughout the season though.

Like Russell Erxleben?

I doubt it. Every now and then someone will come along who is amazing at both punting AND kicking...but odds are, most will only be great at one thing and decent at the other. You would have to sacrifice one facet of the kicking game to do that.

It would be alot more work than that player would be used to but how much wear and tear can you get from kicking field goals and punts throughout a game? I've never done either of them except for fun but I would imagine if the other players are getting hit and beat up left and right, than a few extra kicks shouldnt be a problem for a pro.

I think it would be awesome to have someone that could do both plus it'd free up a roster spot

I highly doubt this will happen for a couple reasons:

1. When you put ONE player covering TWO positions, it's either feast or famine. If that ONE player gets hurt, you're then looking for a replacement for TWO positions. The likelihood of finding an athlete that can do both is not someone you're gonna find off the street or that was cut by another team. If you're in the middle of the season, you then have to worry about cutting someone that you didn't have to prior to the injury.

2. There are those that can punt, those that can kickoff and those that can kick field goals. Each has a different style and it is very rare that you find someone that can do all three. Take a look at the Raiders. They probably have the best kicker and punter in the league. You don't see those guys switching it up and trying to take on all three duties.

3. Sure you see guys like Ochocinco doing it in preseason, but when the game is on the line with one second left on the clock and you need to kick a 45 yarder to win the game by two...OR....you're in OT and need it to finish out your opponenet, do you want a replacement or a guy that is not known for it to be "That Guy?"

We've been there and done that!!!!!

Wasted a first round pick on what was thought to be a hybrid kicker.......

Result---- DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• kicker.jpg
    kicker.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 330
The Falcons did this (dual role PK/P) a couple of seasons ago w/ Michael Koenen. Didn't work out that great for them.

I believe Atlanta tried to do that a few years back. I think that was the year they brought in Jason Elam.

Saints drafted Russell Erxleben, 1979, with the 11th over all pick. Did not work out very well at all, but did lead to the drafting of Morten Andersen in 1982.

I asked this same question to a friend of mine who punted for many years in the NFL (including the Saints) and he said it would be too much to handle. It takes different skill sets to perform in both positions. These guys hone their skills to be the best at that movement or skill.

Kicking fieldgoals in the NFL is way to stressful much like a PGA golfer to have it be a part time job. If you miss more than one or two field goals in a year you are in trouble. There is an expectation for perfection and consistency. I don't think you can get that while also trying to punt.

We've seen he's got a monster leg. I think that he does a ton better than our other guys at providing touchbacks on kickoffs, which goes a long way in helping us with field position battles. I mean, the dude had all five kickoffs inside the end zone with four touchbacks against the Jets. Has he ever tried kicking any field goals for us? We know he's got the distance...what about the accuracy?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom