All-Rookie Strength Team (1 Viewer)

SammyIsGod

Can he play safety? Yup!
Reaction score
Had some time to kill today (Who didn't?), so I went through Mike D's Draft Guide, and made a list of the top bench pressers at each position. Interestingly enough, most of these guys were somewhere in the middle of their positions' rankings. Obviously, bench press strength is not the be all, end all of anything, but here are the Combine/Pro Day strongest men, by position, and how many reps they did at 225 pounds:

FB- Josiah Deguara, Cincinnati, 25 reps
HB- Scottie Phillips, Ole Miss, 29
WR- Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin, 23
TE- Hunter Bryant, Washington, and Jared Pinkney, Oregon, 23
OC- Jake Hanson, Oregon, 33
OG- Nataue Muti, Fresno St, 44
OT- Ezra Cleveland, Boise St, 30

DE- Kenny Willekes, Mich St, 32
DT- DaVon Hamilton, Ohio St, 33
ILB- Joe Bachie, Mich St, 26 (Suspended for PED use)
OLB- Khalke Hudson, Michigan, 30
CB- Reggie Robinson II, Tulsa, and Kindle Vildor, Georgia Southern, 22
FS- Jeremy Chinn, So. Illinois, 20
SS- Kamren Curl, Arkansas, 24

Think we will snag any of this beef? I want to look more at that guard, who did freaking 44 reps. Any full round mock drafts have any of these guys going to us? Anyway, like I said, had time to kill :)

We had a virtual? private workout with Ezra Cleveland and saw Kamren Curl’s virtual? pro day. I like Tulsa CB Reggie Robinson II big time. I also like the Cincy FB Josiah Deguara, Washington TE Hunter Bryant, and Mich St LB Joe Bachie to a degree. I liked Quintez Cephus & Jared Pinkney till they ran the 40.

Out of those guys I would hope to get Robinson II in the 3rd or 4th. Then maybe get Deguara in the 6th and maybe Bryant in the 5th depending on our other picks

Idk if I would correlate bench press with play strength. In high school I had a kid who was much stronger at bench press than I was but I overpowered him easy. Bench press is a useless stat, when in football do you have your back against a surface so you can push off it? Never, a better gauge of upper body strength would maybe be a clean but still it’s arguable. If the combine wants to measure strength it needs to get rid of bench press and replace it with squats or deadlifts. Literally for every position. Would give a much better in depth look at true functional strength for football. Offensive lineman, running backs, etc.

Deguara is actually a college TE that projects as a possible FB/H-Back... so he wins for FBs and TEs.

I appreciate the effort it must’ve taken to compile this list, thanks.

A Google search probably would have found some charts or lists already made, but I wanted to read up on what Mike D had to say at the same time :)

A Google search probably would have found some charts or lists already made, but I wanted to read up on what Mike D had to say at the same time :)
Suggestion, maybe you or someone else can start a thread on all thoughts regarding Mike D’s rankings and player profiles. That could create a lot of good back and forth that will help people to develop some opinions on the prospects coming out. Just a suggestion. I didn’t order it so I can’t really comment, but I respect his opinions.

Idk if I would correlate bench press with play strength. In high school I had a kid who was much stronger at bench press than I was but I overpowered him easy. Bench press is a useless stat, when in football do you have your back against a surface so you can push off it? Never, a better gauge of upper body strength would maybe be a clean but still it’s arguable. If the combine wants to measure strength it needs to get rid of bench press and replace it with squats or deadlifts. Literally for every position. Would give a much better in depth look at true functional strength for football. Offensive lineman, running backs, etc.

It's def not that important in football bc strength comes from leverage and the lower body.

I have always felt Squats would be a better assessment for an O Lineman but who knows...

Had some time to kill today (Who didn't?), so I went through Mike D's Draft Guide, and made a list of the top bench pressers at each position. Interestingly enough, most of these guys were somewhere in the middle of their positions' rankings. Obviously, bench press strength is not the be all, end all of anything, but here are the Combine/Pro Day strongest men, by position, and how many reps they did at 225 pounds:

Think we will snag any of this beef? I want to look more at that guard, who did freaking 44 reps. Any full round mock drafts have any of these guys going to us? Anyway, like I said, had time to kill :)
The problem with using Bench Press as a selection criteria is that it is much easier for men with short arms to throw the bar up than men with longer arms, ergo many of the top performers have shorter arms. Unfortunately, short armed players are at a distinct disadvantage compared to their longer armed opponents. All the strength in the world is useless if you never get your hands on the other player because he has you locked out.

The 2 that stand out to me off of that list are Phillips for a RB at 33 reps and Muti with 44. 44 reps is pretty amazing. BTW to the OP thanks for posting this info. That’s one of the reasons I love SR because on here you get information from fans you couldn’t find anywhere else.

The guys I see on this list that stand out (as players)

TE- Hunter Bryant, Washington, 23

Actually Garrett Marino put up 41 on the bench at DT.

Actually Garrett Marino put up 41 on the bench at DT.

Did he? Mike D didn't have a profile on him. He has him ranked as his #29 DT, a 6th or 7th round pick, and didn't do a write-up on him. Thanks for the info!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom