All-time Saints Team (1 Viewer)

Professor

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The "best CB" thread made me think about who was best at all the positions to make up an "all-time" team. I have chosen a certain number of players for each position because I just wanted it that way, mostly when considering how many play on a team in any given year. My thread, my choice. For positions that change by scheme employed, such as LB, I have broken them down by "inside" and "outside," without regard for whether they played on a 4-3 or a 3-4. I also did not count any player who spent their best years with another team and did not contribute much once they got to the Saints. Two opposite examples of this would be Paul Hornung, who was great with the Packers but zilch with the Saints, and Darren Sharper, who did not play many years with the Saints but contributed significantly to their success.

QB: Drew Brees, Archie Manning
RB: Dalton Hilliard, Deuce McAllister, Reuben Mayes
FB: Lorenzo Neal, Heath Evans
WR: Marques Colston, Wes Chandler, Joe Horn, Eric Martin, Lance Moore, Danny Abramowicz
TE: Jimmy Graham, Hoby Brenner, Jeremy Shockey, Wesley Walls
OT: Willie Roaf, Stan Brock, Richard Cooper, Jammal Brown (Sadly, there aren't many "good" OTs.)
G: Jim Dombrowski, Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, Joel Hilgenberg
C: Jay Hilgenberg, LeCharles Bentley, Jeff Faine
CB: Mike McKenzie, Toi Cook, Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter
S: Tommy Myers, Darren Sharper, Gene Atkins, Sammy Knight (not divided by FS/SS)
ILB: Jonathan Vilma, Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson,
OLB: Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Renaldo Turnbull
DE: Wayne Martin, Frank Warren, Joe Johnson, Will Smith
DT: La'Roi Glover, Jim Wilkes, Norman Hand, Grady Jackson (Like OTs, not many "good" ones.)
K: Morten Andersen, John Kasay, Garrett Hartley
P: Thomas Morstead, Tommy Barnhardt
PR/KR: Mel Gray, Tyrone Hughes, Michael "Beerman" Lewis
Honorable Mention, overall: Steve Gleason for the most famous blocked punt in NFL history.

Yes, I know there are more than 53 players (there are 58 plus Gleason). It wasn't designed to fit into the 53 players on a team, since that number has varied over the history of the team anyway.

The "best CB" thread made me think about who was best at all the positions to make up an "all-time" team. I have chosen a certain number of players for each position because I just wanted it that way, mostly when considering how many play on a team in any given year. My thread, my choice. For positions that change by scheme employed, such as LB, I have broken them down by "inside" and "outside," without regard for whether they played on a 4-3 or a 3-4. I also did not count any player who spent their best years with another team and did not contribute much once they got to the Saints. Two opposite examples of this would be Paul Hornung, who was great with the Packers but zilch with the Saints, and Darren Sharper, who did not play many years with the Saints but contributed significantly to their success.

QB: Drew Brees, Archie Manning
RB: Dalton Hilliard, Deuce McAllister, Reuben Mayes
FB: Lorenzo Neal, Heath Evans
WR: Marques Colston, Wes Chandler, Joe Horn, Eric Martin, Lance Moore, Danny Abramowicz
TE: Jimmy Graham, Hoby Brenner, Jeremy Shockey, Wesley Walls
OT: Willie Roaf, Stan Brock, Richard Cooper, Jammal Brown (Sadly, there aren't many "good" OTs.)
G: Jim Dombrowski, Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, Joel Hilgenberg
C: Jay Hilgenberg, LeCharles Bentley, Jeff Faine
CB: Mike McKenzie, Toi Cook, Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter
S: Tommy Myers, Darren Sharper, Gene Atkins, Sammy Knight (not divided by FS/SS)
ILB: Jonathan Vilma, Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson,
OLB: Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Renaldo Turnbull
DE: Wayne Martin, Frank Warren, Joe Johnson, Will Smith
DT: La'Roi Glover, Jim Wilkes, Norman Hand, Grady Jackson (Like OTs, not many "good" ones.)
K: Morten Andersen, John Kasay, Garrett Hartley
P: Thomas Morstead, Tommy Barnhardt
PR/KR: Mel Gray, Tyrone Hughes, Michael "Beerman" Lewis
Honorable Mention, overall: Steve Gleason for the most famous blocked punt in NFL history.

Yes, I know there are more than 53 players (there are 58 plus Gleason). It wasn't designed to fit into the 53 players on a team, since that number has varied over the history of the team anyway.

Vilma in front of Mills and Johnson??

You cant put Hillard ahead of Deuce.
Joe Horn is higher then the 3rd best WR
I would put Walls ahead of Shockey.
Jahri and Carl above Dombrowski
Greer #1 CB
Beerman ahead of Grey

And last but certainly not least.

No way Vilma is ahead of Mills and Johnson.
Vilma would not even be a starter on the dome patrol.

You cant put Hillard ahead of Deuce.
Joe Horn is higher then the 3rd best WR
I would put Walls ahead of Shockey.
Jahri and Carl above Dombrowski
Greer #1 CB
Beerman ahead of Grey

And last but certainly not least.

No way Vilma is ahead of Mills and Johnson.
Vilma would not even be a starter on the dome patrol.

all of this.

I loved Reuben Mayes, but Rogers and Bush make my list before him.

Some who should have made the list
CB Dave Whitsell
DE Doug Atkins
ILB Joe Federspiel
RB Pierre Thomas
TE Dave Parks, Henry Childs
DT Dave Rowe
FB Hokie Gajan

The cornerback position is way out of whack.

Agreed Toi Cook is nowhere near that list.

Waymer has to be considered, along with Greer, MM, Whitsell, and possibly Fred Thomas.

I wouldn't go past Hoby Brenner in the tight end list. Shockey only had one decent year in 09 and Walls only played 2 years.

Interesting tidbit, Wesley Walls went on to appear in 5 Pro Bowls (would have been 6 in a row had he not been injured in 2000), with the Carolina Panthers, after being let go from the Saints. The Saints had no TE to speak of during that period of time.

Some who should have made the list
CB Dave Whitsell
DE Doug Atkins
ILB Joe Federspiel
RB Pierre Thomas
TE Dave Parks, Henry Childs
DT Dave Rowe
FB Hokie Gajan

Yes, the 60s and 70s really did happen. There were some good players on those bad teams.

most important one

Attachments

• steve-gleason-blocks-punt-in-super-dome-return-2006.jpg
    steve-gleason-blocks-punt-in-super-dome-return-2006.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 148

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom