Alligator Snapping Turtle- (1 Viewer)

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This guy was on HWY 22 in Madisonville yesterday. I have never seen an Alligator Snapping turtle this size outside of the Audubon Zoo.

I dont know if this picture really does any justice to the actual size of this guy/gal, but when I went to get a closer look, the turtle actually "jumped" and reached his head back toward me which was enough for me to keep my distance.

He eventually continued his trek ( off to the left toward the woods which there is a 1 acre pond about 100yds off )

Massive. The shell was well over 2 ft ( i guessed about 28-30" long and about 20" wide )

pretty neat.

Attachments

• IMAG0188.jpg
    IMAG0188.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 27
at 2' he is at least 10 years old. probably 100 lbs or more. very cool

My brother in law found one in the Mississippi River at Vicksburg a couple months ago that probably would have been the state record if he had weighed it. I'll upload the pic off my phone in a few. I have seen quite a few big ones in my life but this thing was just on a different scale.

I'll bring the sherry...

this was amazing. they said during the show that it was eating full grown ducks.
Call of the Wildman: Turtleman Catches Bayou Monster : Video : Animal Planet

ok like i said in my op, my pic does it no justice.

That turtle was the same size as the one in the video you just posted.

I shoulda tossed my shoe into pic to give a really good indicator of the size of the turtle. There were about 6 other folks gathered round taking pics and NONE of us wanted to get near him. Hissin and jumpin up was enough for me. I took that pic from about 6 ft away.

It was awesome to actually see one in open as opposed to zoo/aquarium.

When I was in high school I helped a friend of mine catch one of these in his Grandfather's pond. It took 3 of us to pull him out of the water. His grandfather who was 6'6' ~300lbs took a picture next to the turtle and the turtle was about the same size as his torso.

ok like i said in my op, my pic does it no justice.

That turtle was the same size as the one in the video you just posted.

I shoulda tossed my shoe into pic to give a really good indicator of the size of the turtle. There were about 6 other folks gathered round taking pics and NONE of us wanted to get near him. Hissin and jumpin up was enough for me. I took that pic from about 6 ft away.

It was awesome to actually see one in open as opposed to zoo/aquarium.

Yea, they are very rare. You saw something most folks will never see.
I cought a giant turtle in backbay MS fishing whern I was a teen. He was half the size of my boat. Thing snapped my gaf handle into as I tried to unhook him. Darndest thing I has ever seen. Looking back, I think thats what he was. He was in Brackish water and I'd never heard of an alagator snapper.

Here is the pic of the turtle my brother in law found.

Attachments

• alligatorturtle.jpg
    alligatorturtle.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 13
Here is the pic of the turtle my brother in law found.

Holy freakin schnikies, that's a big un. I'd seen many back in Mandyhood, but never anything remotely that big. BTW, your bil is an idiot for getting that close to it.:ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom