alltime bust team (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
since Hump won't do it

this can either be HYPE bust (like, they weren't horrible just not nearly as good as expected) or just legit worst at that position

QB Billy Joe (going 2 for 1 here)
RB: AP
FB: ??
WR: Toon, Jr
TE: Fleener
RT:Charles Brown
RG: ??
C: Kreutz
LG:??
LT: ??

DL: Sullivan, Jenkins, Jr,
LB: each and every LB Haslett put his mitts on
CD: SJB, Browner
S: Byrd: the dude who stole the watch (completely blanking on this one)

and of course Exleben

We can add Ojo as another WR. Walter Thomas for DL.

There was a DE signed from Cinncinati whose name I can't remember. Krueger?

You are absolutely right about the Haslett linebackers, all disappointing.

Actually, Shuler was probably the worst QB.

Curtis Heaton

Qadry Ismail, Michael Haynes as a Saint, others like Lindsay Scott for WR

Cannot think of any bad fullbacks.

I'm just going to go off the Payton era.

for RB: I'd switch out AP for Antonio Pittman, he was a 4th round pick and was completely outshined, and outclassed by UDFA Pierre so badly he was cut pretty early on.

Peterson was actually good just never given opportunities, he went to Arizona and then Washington and was their bell cow back.

WR: Agree with Toon, I'll add Adrian Arrington, Andy Tanner, and Mike Hass to that corps. guys who drew so much hype in camp and ended up doing nothing in the regular season.

Linebackers - Martez Wilson, Stephone Anthony, Stanley Arnoux.. pretty much any Linebacker drafted during Payton's criteria fits the 'Bust' bill.

Corner - Corey White

Safety - Sunseri (atleast he was a special teamer)

DL - Kikaha, injury problems. Greg Romeus

QB - would definitely be Garrett Grayson lol.. how was he worth a 3rd rounder.

I'm just going to go off the Payton era.

for RB: I'd switch out AP for Antonio Pittman, he was a 4th round pick and was completely outshined, and outclassed by UDFA Pierre so badly he was cut pretty early on.

Peterson was actually good just never given opportunities, he went to Arizona and then Washington and was their bell cow back.

WR: Agree with Toon, I'll add Adrian Arrington, Andy Tanner, and Mike Hass to that corps. guys who drew so much hype in camp and ended up doing nothing in the regular season.

Linebackers - Martez Wilson, Stephone Anthony, Stanley Arnoux.. pretty much any Linebacker drafted during Payton's criteria fits the 'Bust' bill.

Corner - Corey White

Safety - Sunseri (atleast he was a special teamer)

DL - Kikaha, injury problems. Greg Romeus

QB - would definitely be Garrett Grayson lol.. how was he worth a 3rd rounder.

Almost gave honorable mention for Romeus
Still disappoints me we couldn’t see him play

Stock photo of Jim Haslett.

300px-FrankBooth.jpg

Toon gets bumped down the WR depth chart by Larry "Stone Hands" Burton and Lindsay Scott. Burton was the seventh overall pick in 1975 and in the two years (plus one game) with the Saints, he managed 35 catches and four touchdowns. He was really fast, but even a perfectly thrown ball hitting him in stride would bounce off his bricks that he used for hands.

Lindsay Scott had no business being in the first round of the 1982 draft, but he had a good game in Georgia's bowl game, prompting the Saints to take him 13th overall. In four seasons with the Saints, he caught 69 passes and a single touchdown. To compound their ineptitude, the Saints took Eugene Goodlow (66th overall) and Kenny Duckett in the third round (68th overall). Goodlow would have probably made a decent fourth or fifth option on a decent team. After Goodlow's 115 catches in four years (had 41 in his rookie year) and Duckett's 34 catches, they were all three out of football by 1986.

So my all-time bust WRs would be Burton and Scott, backed up by Duckett.

My number one all-time Saints bust is linebacker Rick Middleton, who was the Saints' 13th overall pick in 1974. This one is almost too painful to discuss, but suffice it to say that Middleton was a bust of epic proportions. The 14th overall pick was Buckeye teammate and fellow linebacker Randy Gradishar. So while Middleton was out of New Orleans after two seasons and out of the league soon after, Gradishar went on to anchor Denver's Orange Crush defense, become a seven time Pro Bowler and 1978's Defensive Player of the Year.

Even Jonathan Sullivan wasn't as big a bust as Steve Knight, DT out of BYU, or Ted Gregory, the player Knight was traded for a year later.

I could go on, but I need to find a Kleenex. ?

Stanley Jean baptiste. What a complete miss that was.. wasnt he drafted in the 2nd round?!
He was Drafted during the Prime Era of the Legion of Boom, and Payton was in the mindset of trying to copy their proto-types for their Secondary. So they told the scouts to look for tall Corners, with long arms to try and find a "Richard Sherman" type.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that and they Reached for a guy with almost no instincts for the Corner position...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom