Alshon Jeffery or Martellus Bennett? *PURE SPECULATION* (1 Viewer)

Breesusdat

Deep Threat
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of things about the Saints potentially targeting either Alshon Jeffery or Bennett on the trade block. While Jeffery would be great and an immediate impact in the passing game, I think we only get to hold onto him for one year because he'll want a monster contract as a free agent next year. Bennett on the other hand, while old, could really help out at a position of need for a few years down the line and won't demand crazy money. Out of the two I think Bennett would be the smarter move. What do you all think?

I think the only way we should trade for Jeffery is if he agrees to an extension. We are not competing for a championship this year, there's no sense in giving up anything of value for him if he's gone come January.

I also agree on the Bennett move. He is a TE who can block and is also really good in the passing game. He can be that redzone target that this team desperately needs.

There is no way or leverage that Alshon can get a monster contract. He's looking at 9 mil per year max. And that is somewhat generous.

Jeffery (and Forte) are about the only players the Bears are not willing to part with, as much as we dream.

I've been hearing a lot of things about the Saints potentially targeting either Alshon Jeffery or Bennett on the trade block. While Jeffery would be great and an immediate impact in the passing game, I think we only get to hold onto him for one year because he'll want a monster contract as a free agent next year. Bennett on the other hand, while old, could really help out at a position of need for a few years down the line and won't demand crazy money. Out of the two I think Bennett would be the smarter move. What do you all think?

"Hearing alot of things" from us fans on the message boards who really don't know anything regarding the inside workings of the organization?

Or

"Hearing alot of things" from people actually on the inside?

And if it's #2, why would the brain trust share with actual info with Breesusdat? Unless you are an inside employee yourself maybe?

Either way, I'd love Alshon on extension, and Bennett.

I've heard that Bennett has a lot of off the field issues, and that is what we have been trying to get rid of. Even though we suck right now, many players have said that this is the best locker room atmosphere that they've had in years. Would love if we could somehow get Jeffrey though.

Jeffery (and Forte) are about the only players the Bears are not willing to part with, as much as we dream.
I know Forte will stay. He is the heart of that team for the past decade. I feel Jeffery will bolt with quarterback situation unless they overpay him to stay.

You have been hearing that from a source or you have been reading it on the Internet?

I love Forte. Probably my favorite non-Saint player...but I'm flushing that fantasy out of my mind right now...just not practical.

Bennett and Jeffery would both be significant upgrades to our team. The problem is that Bennett is currently 28 years old. I have no interesting in signing players older than 27 right now. We need building blocks for the future. Jeffery on the other hand...no brainer. He is a pretty special receiver. He and Cooks together would potentially help us contend next year (while the Brees window is open), and thereafter.

IMO both would be pretty good fits here. We could use a true #1 WR and a TE threat in the passing game. BUT us trading for them is unlikely.
This got me thinking when was the last time the saints made a trade in the middle of the season. Mike McKenzie?

We should be sellers not buyers in the trade market.

The idea of making any short term moves at the expense of future draft picks is infuriating with this piece of work roster.

Now if we were able to ship out Byrd, Strief, Hawthorne, or (god bless him) Colston for a pick or player, then OK, different story.

After watching Bennett on Hard Knocks a few years ago - no thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom