Alvin Kamara Report: Saints on the clock after McCaffery's Record Contract (1 Viewer)

Here's the deal. How was McCaffery's year last year vs Kamara's? Night and day. Kamara needs to return to his previous form before asking equal pay of McCaffery.

Agreed....the Panthers leaned on McCaffery all year long and he continued to stay healthy and produce. The 2 times the Saints had to lean on AK (Marks injury in 2018 and Drews injury in 2019) he quickly wore down and was never the same.

Deuce Windham talked about the comparison between AK and CM a while back and alluded to this. They usually get grouped together in skillset but CM is actually a more durable every down back...while AK is more of the Sniper role.

Because of that, AK shouldnt demand the same or higher market value as CM.

McCaffery was working with 2nd and 3rd string QBs and no one of significance at WR. He WAS the Carolina offence. Opposing DCs knew this going into their games yet CM still got his numbers week after week.

Could you say the same if it was AK in Carolina instead?

While Kamara is great and I would hate to lose him, RBs come a dime a dozen. Yes, he is a little unique and I like his play style, but anyone can be replaced. Our CAP can't pay everyone and I feel our RB position can fit several types of RBs.
A dime a dozen? Knuts! What you be drinking? Give him his money! Geez!

Yep. The Saints reward their own elite players. And people forget that in a year or two, we won't be paying a QB $30 million per year. And that when you don't have a Greek god at QB, you need more talent at other positions like RB. I also think people just aren't used to the new numbers for player contracts yet. As the cap goes up, RBs will make more and more money. Especially the elite RBs because there aren't many of those in the NFL. And it's not that easy to find them. Payton himself said that they had no idea how good of a runner Kamara was. They knew he would be good in the passing game but had no idea how good of a runner he was.
The only RB’s that should EVER get the top 5 money, are the ones that are durable enough, physical enough, can be on the field all 3 downs and lastly; are playing 80% of the offensive plays. I do not see Kamara fitting into not one of these categories, much less more than one. I also do not believe the Saints offense will ever be built to sustain a RB, in the mold of CMC, Zeke, or Barkley. These 3, are the only RB’s that would fit my criteria. Not Kamara, as much as I love him on this team.

Hes not specifically saying RB's like Kamara come a dime a dozen.

The point is, RB is the most talent rich position in all of football.

Their success mainly relies on the success of the O Line.

Not many RB's can do it like Kamara can but you dont have to have an elite RB to win a SB.

Go look at the past 10 years of SB winners.

Then go look at their RB's

The way the landscape of contracts go in the NFL it's hard to be successful paying your RB pass rusher/QB money.

The only way that it can be possible is if you have a QB on his rookie contract.

There is a cap, you only have so much money to go around. That's why Successful teams dont usually throw money at the most talent rich and one of the least valuable positions on the field.

It's pretty easy to realize.

Not only look at the last SB winners, but you can look around the league at the highest paid RB's, and then look at the Teams Success.

History shows that it's not that many.

I love Kamara and would love for him to come back but not at 16 M's a year. That's just too steep.

Quite Frankly underneath Sean Payton I dont ever see him spending top dollar on a RB
You are attempting to be perfectly reasonable. And that gets dumb responses. Great summary. ?

It would be crazy knuts if the Yuks picked him up! Kamara/Brady. Release the money. Geez!

If you are serious about trying to win the Super Bowl this year, you can't trade Kamara this year. We do not have his replacement on the roster and his replacement isn't in the draft.
Clyde Edwards-Helaire?

I'm not saying he is exactly like Kamara, but his production last year in a similar style offense was very comparable, actually better, than Kamara's rookie season.

1,415 yds Rush, 16 TD's, 6.6 YPC, 453yds Rec, 1 TD, 8.2 YPC\

Since he will already be familiar with the scheme, he could def be an option at 24. His current slated draft position is in the 2nd. But if we grab him in the 1st, we could get 5 years on a rookie contract pay scale. He wasn't a featured back until last year so the tread wear is low. Plus we still have Murray to fill the Ingram role of AK41's 1st two years.

I'm not saying this is what I want, just that it's an option if the Saints want to go that route.

While Kamara is great and I would hate to lose him, RBs come a dime a dozen. Yes, he is a little unique and I like his play style, but anyone can be replaced. Our CAP can't pay everyone and I feel our RB position can fit several types of RBs.
I already made a post 2 weeks ago labeled Trading Kamara. I already predicted this will probably be his last year as a Saint . I already stated that our team would be in much better shape if we traded him because at least we get something back. After this year he's gone. No war the Saints pay him 12-16 mil a year. At least if we trade now we will have another player to control for 4-5 years. JMHO

Do all of them have the same skillset as Kamara? Do you honestly believe that?

No, but unless AK41 can prove that last year was a fluke and that his 1st two years are the norm, then these players reflect my opinion that there are plenty of other running backs putting up the kind of production that he has.
No. And most of them haven't put up his #s.

See above. Most of them have when put in the right situations. Much like Kamara. When he was in college, he wasn't used correctly, so he was a nobody. It took Payton to see his potential and scheme around him for him to flourish. Much as he could with any of the RB's listed above.

Le'Veon Bell - you saw him last season, right? 3.2 YPC, and he's being paid a ton of money.
E. Elliott - being paid a ton of money.
S. Barkley - being paid a ton of money.
D. Johnson (pre-injury) - being paid a ton of money and hasn't done Kamara-like things for years.
Kenyan Drake - only began doing exceptionally well for the second 1/2 of the season after being traded.
Tarik Cohen - no.
Todd Gurley (pre-knees) - being paid a ton of money and is damaged goods.
James White - good pass catcher, far from as good of a runner.

I think Kamara is a very special player. Still, I certainly understand the argument against giving him a huge, new contract, but this only shows how difficult it would be to get a similar player for less money.

The original question wasn't about the amount of money being payed, it was that RB's with his kind of production were rare. So I listed all the RB's that I could think of off the top of my head that put up similar production.

I'm not denying that AK41 is special. He is. But is he CGM level special? If things had been reversed and it was CGM who missed all the time and was constanly being forced the ball even though he was clearly not 100% the same way AK41 was. Do we win 13 games??

Based on the level of production we got from Murray when he was featured vs. the level of production we received from any receiver not name Michael Thomas, I think the answer is pretty clear.

There's a reason the Saints gave CGM $20 Million without batting an eye. I don't see them pouring that same amount of coin into a RB as well. Unless Taysom truly is the answer and we can get him to a long term, team-friendly contract. Then you can afford the Elite-Level, High Dollar talent at the other positions.

I think he's gone too, but hopefully we can trade him and at least get something back.

Fact: Kamara gives us the best chance to win a Superbowl vs a draft pick.

We aren't trading him this year under any circumstances.

I f Hubbard and/or Etiienne were in the draft I would consider a trade. They were the best matchup for the offense.

Fact: Kamara gives us the best chance to win a Superbowl vs a draft pick.

We aren't trading him this year under any circumstances.
Yep, and in that theory, he gave us the best chance the last 3 years as well. Making the case that he gives us “a” chance not the best.

Well sue him for not playing safety...
Yep, because safety is the only reason for the losses. The firepower offense with the best chance of winning player came out the gates like a snail in the playoffs. It was also said that drew gives us the best chance of winning a super bowl. One player doesn’t win the super bowl.

did the defense blow it at times, sure. I just don’t think the amount that kamara might be looking at getting will not get the return value we need. Ingram was a 4 mil a year 3 down player and this board went crazy when he left. Kamara is looking at doubling or close the tripling that amount, is not a 3 down back, must be 100% healthy to be effective and is a joker/flash player that the defenses have figured out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom