Alvin Kamara Report: Saints on the clock after McCaffery's Record Contract (2 Viewers)

Guillermo, if nothing happens with Kamara before the draft and
if we don't draft a running back in the first two rounds (which would mean trading up in round two), I agree. But if the organization believes the probability is high that it cannot resign Kamara after 2020, it should at this time at least look at trade possibilities. But I would not trade him for less than a first-round pick.

Guillermo, if nothing happens with Kamara before the draft and
if we don't draft a running back in the first two rounds (which would mean trading up in round two), I agree. But if the organization believes the probability is high that it cannot resign Kamara after 2020, it should at this time at least look at trade possibilities. But I would not trade him for less than a first-round pick.

RJ, I thought about that, but there are a couple of things to consider:

- Whoever would be willing to trade for Alvin will have to pay him. No team (besides the texans and rams) trade a high pick for a player without having an extension already done, or at least having a good idea on how much this extension will cost. And we are learning that teams are not interesting in spending a lot (money and/or picks) on the position.

- The second thing is, whatever we will able to get from Alvin should be better then the value we appreciate of his game. I don't see this to be lower then a high second draft pick. We should remember we traded a second to get Alvin (one of the very good trade ups we had recently).

I hope that we can get into an agreement, Alvin should consider not only money but scheme, team, etc before even thinking jumping to free agency.

But in case a divorce is coming, I can see it as Alvin playing the length of his contract and leave as a free agent, with us getting a compensatory pick.

Last thing, I don't think Alvin's contract will determine if we decide to pick a running back on this draft. We will if there is an attractive opportunity for the team.

I think if we remember how Reggie Bush’s and Mark Ingram’s time in NOLa came to end, we might have a snap shot of how running backs are viewed or dealt with at the negotiating table. That old NFL “business” hydra will raise it’s head and Loomis will handle it. Man, I love me some Alvin Kamara but he is replaceable in that business sense.

All it takes is for him to be healthy...

apply that to the dline and LB core and where would we be

health is the one thing you cant ever buy,

if healthy AK can prove his value - however but CM didnt propel the panthers into a good season

Get this last year out of him because, he gone after this year. Panthers ruined it for everybody with that outrageous contract which far exceeds Derrick Henry's franchise tag which was the bases on what they should have worked off of.

You think they gave him a large contract in order to spite us? Really?

CM got huge money because he has been super durable and is pretty much their entire offense....

“New Orleans was a place I hadn’t been to. I’d never been to New Orleans until I got drafted to New Orleans. Just to be able to get to New Orleans, and have that city embrace me, just take me in, basically adopt me, man it’s amazing. There’s so much love there. It’s a dope city even outside of the football. It’s beautiful people, it’s lit, it’s a vibe.”

“If we’re talking about the football, I’ve never been around a group of guys like in New Orleans who just want to win, who just want to be there for each other, and be around each other.”

Sure sounds like a guy that's going to be a problem for a new deal. /sarcasm

You could fill a book with players saying how much they love their current team and city before they leave for another (and more money)....

I love Kamara but think Latt and Ram should be higher priorities...My guess right now is that he will play out his contract with the Saints and (if he stays healthy and has a good year) sign a huge deal with another team....and hopefully we get a comp pick.

IF we draft a RB in the 3rd or 4th that could be very telling....

I rather buy low and extend him now instead of betting against kamara... Kamara has made a career with betting against himself and winning.

All it takes is for him to be healthy...

I don't think he'll take a low ball contract. He'll try to get close to McCaffrey, which is clearly not going to happen because of the season he had last year and the season McCaffrey had last year. I think that it would probably be in the best interest of both parties for Kamara to play out 2020 on his current contract and hope he plays better this year. If he plays well, it'll give the Saints some reassurance that he isn't a RB heading in the wrong direction...and perhaps he can play like McCaffrey and earn a stronger contract.

Kamara has earned his contract, and the Saints have a history of signing 4 year productive key players to 60 million dollar contracts. Sign him, back load the contract and if need be he can be traded a year or two down the line.

What happens depends on Payton's and Kamara's relationship. If it's good, Payton will pay a little too much to keep him on board, but he may or may not sign. If their relationship is strained, Payton will be drafting a RB. It may just be my imagination, but I think I have noticed little hints their relationship is not the best.

If he doesn't hold out. I'm hoping we're able to get another back in the draft so he doesn't have any leverage.

There isn't a single RB in this draft that would take away Kamara's leverage. I'm not even sure there is one that is better than Murray much less close to Kamara.

I think if we remember how Reggie Bush’s and Mark Ingram’s time in NOLa came to end, we might have a snap shot of how running backs are viewed or dealt with at the negotiating table. That old NFL “business” hydra will raise it’s head and Loomis will handle it. Man, I love me some Alvin Kamara but he is replaceable in that business sense.

Mark Ingram signed a second contract for a good bit of money.

Also, we used to say the same thing about WRs in New Orleans. And then Michael Thomas signed a record setting deal. The Saints will pay elite players at any position. The only question is whether they think that Kamara is elite and will continue to be elite. Although he was supposed to be, Bush was not elite and neither is Ingram.

Kamara has earned his contract, and the Saints have a history of signing 4 year productive key players to 60 million dollar contracts. Sign him, back load the contract and if need be he can be traded a year or two down the line.

Yep. The Saints reward their own elite players. And people forget that in a year or two, we won't be paying a QB $30 million per year. And that when you don't have a Greek god at QB, you need more talent at other positions like RB. I also think people just aren't used to the new numbers for player contracts yet. As the cap goes up, RBs will make more and more money. Especially the elite RBs because there aren't many of those in the NFL. And it's not that easy to find them. Payton himself said that they had no idea how good of a runner Kamara was. They knew he would be good in the passing game but had no idea how good of a runner he was.

Texans gave away D. Hopkins for D. Johnson... I would take D Hop for this AK situation we we find ourselves in, in a heartbeat.

As much as I <3 him...Year 1 & 2 AK41 is one thing, I know he was hurt a lot of the time but last season def did him no favors imo. This side of football just sucks sometimes. I think he still misses his BFF MI22 ? (I do too.)

:sir-saint:
Really, cause Hopkins is asking for more money. As far as I'm concerned he is another Graham situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom