Alvin Kamara Report: Saints on the clock after McCaffery's Record Contract (1 Viewer)

Yep. The Saints reward their own elite players. And people forget that in a year or two, we won't be paying a QB $30 million per year. And that when you don't have a Greek god at QB, you need more talent at other positions like RB. I also think people just aren't used to the new numbers for player contracts yet. As the cap goes up, RBs will make more and more money. Especially the elite RBs because there aren't many of those in the NFL. And it's not that easy to find them. Payton himself said that they had no idea how good of a runner Kamara was. They knew he would be good in the passing game but had no idea how good of a runner he was.

We’re going to have 2-3 years of dead money coming from Drew’s contract. If Taysom is our next QB you can tack that onto his next contract which I would expect to be 20mil/yr since that seems to be rock bottom starting QB money. The only way we really save on QB is if we draft one.

saints should pay AK no where near what CMC got. As much as I hate to say it, trading AK might be our best option. I can't see even paying him 10mil per.

We’re going to have 2-3 years of dead money coming from Drew’s contract. If Taysom is our next QB you can tack that onto his next contract which I would expect to be 20mil/yr since that seems to be rock bottom starting QB money. The only way we really save on QB is if we draft one.

One year of dead money. All of the signing bonus will accelerate into the cap the year after his last year. And by the then the cap will have dramatically increased with the new CBA and eventually a new TV contract. Which is why a Kamara deal would have a big signing bonus, be for 5 or 6 years and have higher salary numbers in years 2 and 3.

Anyway, $20 million is still $10 million saved which would cover a large portion of a deal for Kamara. And, I do think we are going to draft a QB either this year or next. While I'm sure Payton does like Hill, but he is not going to gamble the future of the entire franchise and his career on Taysom Hill being able to fully develop as a QB. He is going to hedge his bet by having another QB to develop.

Last edited:
saints should pay AK no where near what CMC got. As much as I hate to say it, trading AK might be our best option. I can't see even paying him 10mil per.

If you are serious about trying to win the Super Bowl this year, you can't trade Kamara this year. We do not have his replacement on the roster and his replacement isn't in the draft. If they don't want to pay him what he wants then they are just going to have to play out this year and see if a deal can be reached over the summer before free agency starts next year. And, if they can't reach a deal, hope for a compensatory pick.

The only way I see them trading him this year is if he holds out and things turn ugly. In that situation, it might be better for team chemistry, and the Super Bowl run, to trade him.

One year of dead money. All of the signing bonus will accelerate into the cap the year after his last year. And by the then the cap will have dramatically increased with the new CBA and eventually a new TV contract. Which is why a Kamara deal would have a big signing bonus, be for 5 or 6 years and have higher salary numbers in years 2 and 3.

Anyway, $20 million is still $10 million saved which would cover a large portion of a deal for Kamara. And, I do think we are going to draft a QB either this year or next. While I'm sure Payton does like Hill, he is not going to gamble the future of the entire franchise and his career on Taysom Hill being able to fully develop as a QB. He is going to hedge his bet by having another QB to develop.

Drew’s contract is 25mil/yr, not 30. It’s 2 years 50 mil just like his last one.

Or could not be.

I guess my point is odds are if we draft one at 3 or 4 then something with the RB group will probably be changing....and with so many other priorities (Latt, Ram, etc) I could see them letting Kamara walk...I don't necessarily like it but it might be our reality....

Mark Ingram signed a second contract for a good bit of money.

Also, we used to say the same thing about WRs in New Orleans. And then Michael Thomas signed a record setting deal. The Saints will pay elite players at any position. The only question is whether they think that Kamara is elite and will continue to be elite. Although he was supposed to be, Bush was not elite and neither is Ingram.

Ingram was bordering on elite for a few years but, yeah, I think it boils down to this...

If they come a dime a dozen, why aren't all RBs doing the things McCaffery or Kamara have?

Hes not specifically saying RB's like Kamara come a dime a dozen.

The point is, RB is the most talent rich position in all of football.

Their success mainly relies on the success of the O Line.

Not many RB's can do it like Kamara can but you dont have to have an elite RB to win a SB.

Go look at the past 10 years of SB winners.

Then go look at their RB's

The way the landscape of contracts go in the NFL it's hard to be successful paying your RB pass rusher/QB money.

The only way that it can be possible is if you have a QB on his rookie contract.

There is a cap, you only have so much money to go around. That's why Successful teams dont usually throw money at the most talent rich and one of the least valuable positions on the field.

It's pretty easy to realize.

Not only look at the last SB winners, but you can look around the league at the highest paid RB's, and then look at the Teams Success.

History shows that it's not that many.

I love Kamara and would love for him to come back but not at 16 M's a year. That's just too steep.

Quite Frankly underneath Sean Payton I dont ever see him spending top dollar on a RB

Drew’s contract is 25mil/yr, not 30. It’s 2 years 50 mil just like his last one.

Okay. So that's $5 million towards a new contract for Kamara. And honestly, nobody knows how much Hill will get, but I would bet that it is more likely in the range of $15 million per year or lower. He's totally unproven at QB. So, unless he plays a good bit this year and really shines, I don't see him getting close to $20 million.

And, I think it's a lot more reasonable to bet on Kamara getting back to his form in his first two years, then a 29 year-old QB going from a third stringer that hasn't started a game, to an above average QB in the NFL.

I won’t even pretend to know what we can or can’t afford to pay him based on us recently making Peat rich. This year will be interesting for him. If he can stay healthy and put up a season like 2018, it’s quite possible he will be far out of our price range, though. Love what he’s done and would love to continue seeing it, but we’ve got lots of guys to pay.

Okay. So that's $5 million towards a new contract for Kamara. And honestly, nobody knows how much Hill will get, but I would bet that it is more likely in the range of $15 million per year or lower. He's totally unproven at QB. So, unless he plays a good bit this year and really shines, I don't see him getting close to $20 million.

And, I think it's a lot more reasonable to bet on Kamara getting back to his form in his first two years, then a 29 year-old QB going from a third stringer that hasn't started a game, to an above average QB in the NFL.

If you go in saying he’s your starter from the beginning I think he needs to be paid accordingly. Only two starting QBs not under rookie contracts make less than 20mil/yr. Andy Dalton at 17.7 on the last year of a deal he signed in 2014 and he’s going to be a backup soon. And Tyrod Taylor at 5.5 playing under a deal he signed to backup rivers. He could be a backup again by the end of the season.

If you go in saying he’s your starter from the beginning I think he needs to be paid accordingly. Only two starting QBs not under rookie contracts make less than 20mil/yr. Andy Dalton at 17.7 on the last year of a deal he signed in 2014 and he’s going to be a backup soon. And Tyrod Taylor at 5.5 playing under a deal he signed to backup rivers. He could be a backup again by the end of the season.

I just think Hill is a really unique situation. Those other guys have histories of starting that establish their value (or lack their of for Taylor). It's hard to say what you pay Hill. I think at best he gets a two year prove it contract in the $15 million range, but I could be wrong.

Let’s see what he will doing this year, if he plays like his first 2 years then we could have a discussion with him.
If he ask for too much, let’s draft a RB in 2021...and move on, I’m not a fan of spending a lot of money on a RB despite the fact that I love AK, maybe we could grab a RB in the 3rd round this year in case if we lost him next year. ?

His trade value is very high. I'd probably go that route. He was excellent a couple years ago but I personally don't think last year was 100% injury related. Some of it may have been but I saw a lot of steps out of bounds when he didn't need to. When Mark left so did our dominate Kamara.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom