Alvin Kamara unhappy with 17 game regular season (1 Viewer)

It's certainly basic American capitalism, but not sure that it's basic economics.

Edit: We often laugh at things when we don't understand them. It makes us feel better about our ignorance.

Poor guy has his feelings hurt by a forum reaction.

People who own businesses aren't there to give away profits. If they are paying out more, they will expect more. It's basic economics.

When you have a monopoly like the NFL, the only way you are allowed to have it is to have a collective bargaining agreement with a union. In this case, the NFLPA. In that agreement, the amount of money for salaries is based on the amount of money they NFL makes. So, in this case, "basic" economics doesn't apply. Basically, the players are partners with the owners in this complex economic reality so as the money the league makes increases the amount of money the players make increases. And the reverse is also true, at least this year.

So, the amount of money NFL players make isn't based on basic economics, it's based on a collectively bargained contract that gives the players a share of profits. So, the owners don't have a right to demand more work since the players are getting more money unless they negotiate for that in the collective bargaining agreement. And, as a member of the NFLPA, Kamara is perfectly in his rights to speak out and let the NFLPA know that he doesn't like the addition of another game and if the NFL owners want another game, then he wants more money. It's all part of negotiating.

The NFL union is problematic within itself because the large pay gap and how they implemented a vote per person but not to votes per player pay share. The NFLPA will always be to the mercy to the lowest paid domination because they got the voting majority . It's why the Owners always catering to raising the lowest minimum pay.
So are you saying you want players to get a proportional share of the vote based on how much money they make? So, for instance, a player making 10x the amount of another player would get 10x the votes?

So are you saying you want players to get a proportional share of the vote based on how much money they make? So, for instance, a player making 10x the amount of another player would get 10x the votes?
They would have to create limit, because the disparity would be so significant that the 100 NFL highest paid would own 95% of the voting pool.

That's because he is starting to figure out what the rest of us already know...the NFL doesn't care about players...only the almighty dollar

Caring about the players is their own job, no matter what their occupation. That's why we go to school, to learn how to take care of ourselves. Anyone who thinks someone else will put their best interest above their own is not being realistic.

From an average player perspective, I would agree to the extra regular season game which pays me an additional full value, weekly check in exchange for reducing my “token pay” pre-season games by two. (the proposal apparently removes one preseason game and adds one regular season game).

Last edited:
From an average player perspective, I would agree to the extra regular season game which pays me an additional full value, weekly check in exchange for reducing my “token pay” pre-season games by two. (the proposal apparently removes one preseason game and adds one regular season game).
I would too. And over time more UDFA and other lower salary guys will get vested and make up a larger share of the NFLPA voting members, which will help owners squeeze the lemon more in the future.

Guys that are starters and regularly take a beating, already have short careers and this will make more than a few of them less money in the long run. The NFL wants to have enough marketable stars and the rest as a mostly cheap labor force (relative to pro sports).

Might have missed it in this thread since i glimpsed over it quickly, but how is the 17th game for each team determined? (Meaning who does each team have to play)

Might have missed it in this thread since i glimpsed over it quickly, but how is the 17th game for each team determined? (Meaning who does each team have to play)
Saw that in our case next year All NFC South Teams Square off against AFC South teams. 1st place NFC South team plays 1st place AFC South team and so forth. But from what ive seen this not official yet, just the 17th game

Saw that in our case next year All NFC South Teams Square off against AFC South teams. 1st place NFC South team plays 1st place AFC South team and so forth. But from what ive seen this not official yet, just the 17th game
Ahhhh so it rotates to a different AFC division each year matching our seeding with theirs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom