Alvin Kamara unhappy with 17 game regular season (2 Viewers)

I completely get where he is coming from, particularly from the perspective of a RB, even more for those bell cow 25-30 touch a game backs. It’s a miracle just for those guys to make it through a 16 plus game season. Every added game makes it that much less likely. The only way to offset the added risk is for the NFL to be even more of the passing “watch how you tackle” game that they have already trended to and none of us like.
Or he can offset his risk by getting a normal paying job. Come on man, you get paid millions to play a game. 1 game a week. A game where they literally see 12-15 minutes of real action. The offseason and practices of the past are no longer there. I totally get this is a high risk, injury filled sport, but they get paid handsomely to do it. Sorry, I don’t feel bad for them, especially when the players voted for it.

Wow. Tough audience. One of the biggest factors to get into the post season is health. Now it’s another week of wear and tear. This was passed because the nfl raised the wages for the younger and fringe players so they agreed. The veterans weren’t happy with it.

Or he can offset his risk by getting a normal paying job. Come on man, you get paid millions to play a game. 1 game a week. A game where they literally see 12-15 minutes of real action. The offseason and practices of the past are no longer there. I totally get this is a high risk, injury filled sport, but they get paid handsomely to do it. Sorry, I don’t feel bad for them, especially when the players voted for it.

Where did I say “feel bad for them”. First off, do you think making millions is the only goal of these guys? Some maybe but elite players get to be elite by having more goals than just making money. And it’s not just them. A lot of fans don’t like the direction the game has gone in. Nobody even knows how to actually tackle anymore. It’s so convoluted on what you can and can’t do and it’s completely subjective giving the edge to the teams in the favorite markets or with the faces of the league.

the sixteen game season was not broken but they are insisting on fixing it and you are defending them. I have found it increasingly harder to defend the NFL year after year. So I’m sorry about that.

I agree with Alvin. It is dumb. The only reason is more money, which they're already swimming in (COVID notwithstanding).

Adding another week to the season, but keeping it at 16 games, with each team getting an extra bye to compensate for London games or mid-week games, makes the most sense. Keep the players (i.e., the product) healthy, still increase your TV revenue.

There's too much change for the sake of change (pun intended). Some concern has to be paid to maintaining the integrity of the game.

Fans thinking players are greedy in comparison to owners are a trip. Over the years the extra games (they are going to add an 18th game soon) will cut down on the number of second and third contracts to a substantial degree over time, which is intentional, but not the primary financial motive.

Personally, and especially the last few seasons, the Saints running out the season abs us getting hopeful for the Playoffs, an extra game really just increases a ton of downside. But then as we move forward, a team like ours, probably could use the extra game to help us get into the playoffs.
I dunno I’m conflicted.

I feel your pain Alvin. I have not liked paying full price for pre-season games for decades either, but those are the rules. (Yes, they have adjusted the prices for individual games, but we all know charging anything for pre-season is a joke.)

The players agreed to the 17 game season. They will get paid more money because of it. They will eventually agree to an 18 game season, because of MONEY.
and you will have a watered down playoffs because of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom