Alvin Kamara unhappy with 17 game regular season (1 Viewer)

When you have a monopoly like the NFL, the only way you are allowed to have it is to have a collective bargaining agreement with a union. In this case, the NFLPA. In that agreement, the amount of money for salaries is based on the amount of money they NFL makes. So, in this case, "basic" economics doesn't apply. Basically, the players are partners with the owners in this complex economic reality so as the money the league makes increases the amount of money the players make increases. And the reverse is also true, at least this year.

So, the amount of money NFL players make isn't based on basic economics, it's based on a collectively bargained contract that gives the players a share of profits. So, the owners don't have a right to demand more work since the players are getting more money unless they negotiate for that in the collective bargaining agreement. And, as a member of the NFLPA, Kamara is perfectly in his rights to speak out and let the NFLPA know that he doesn't like the addition of another game and if the NFL owners want another game, then he wants more money. It's all part of negotiating.
Like I said a terrible union. The language was there and the players and reps are naive to think this wasn't coming sooner rather than later. The player's union for baseball and basketball makes the nflpa look like a joke in almost every negotiating agreement.

Might have missed it in this thread since i glimpsed over it quickly, but how is the 17th game for each team determined? (Meaning who does each team have to play)
Going by what is being reported on who teams are set to play, it seems to be another "schedule strength" game against the same place finisher with a team from the other conference and that you aren't already schedule to play. That will be rotated among the four divisions on a regular basis. This year the AFC teams get the extra home game and next the NFC are the home teams.

Like I said a terrible union. The language was there and the players and reps are naive to think this wasn't coming sooner rather than later. The player's union for baseball and basketball makes the nflpa look like a joke in almost every negotiating agreement.
Something many don't realize that the 2006 CBA gave the owners the right to impose a 17 or 18 game season. The only thing the NFLPA could do was to file a grievance and go to arbitration over the amount of compensation the players got for the extra games but the arbitrator could not void the games. The owners gave up that right in 2011 but there was still language that allowed for it to be negotiated. That same language was in lasts years CBA and the NFLPA agreed to add the 17th game.

I have seen some in this thread saying it was the "greedy owners" that made this happen but you also have to blame the "greedy players". I am all for it but would have liked to see a second bye week to go with it.

The Union rep for the players are terrible...they need to seriously change who’s running it.
So the reps are bad because a majority of the members are too stupid to vote in their own best interest.

Let's remember that "The Union" isn't a small group of ominous figures who vote on, and control, everything. The members vote. If they vote "no" then this doesn't happen. If the members vote "yes" then it does. They voted yes.

What were the union reps supposed to do about the members who chose to vote for this?

Every union is as strong as its members. Every membership has people who will vote against their own best interests due to some bias or cognitive dissonance .

I'd wager that they have some members who would be able to tell you the cut of meat that was closest to the leather from which their team's owner's boots were made.

Caring about the players is their own job, no matter what their occupation. That's why we go to school, to learn how to take care of ourselves. Anyone who thinks someone else will put their best interest above their own is not being realistic.

So then players should refuse to play Thursday night games after a Sunday night game? And players should refuse to play a 17 game season? Their only option is to walk away

Something many don't realize that the 2006 CBA gave the owners the right to impose a 17 or 18 game season. The only thing the NFLPA could do was to file a grievance and go to arbitration over the amount of compensation the players got for the extra games but the arbitrator could not void the games. The owners gave up that right in 2011 but there was still language that allowed for it to be negotiated. That same language was in lasts years CBA and the NFLPA agreed to add the 17th game.

I have seen some in this thread saying it was the "greedy owners" that made this happen but you also have to blame the "greedy players". I am all for it but would have liked to see a second bye week to go with it.
Baseball is technically a bigger operation than football and their union gets a better deal almost every time. I don't understand why the nflpa can't bridge the gap between the star players and average guys, baseball does.

Baseball is technically a bigger operation than football and their union gets a better deal almost every time. I don't understand why the nflpa can't bridge the gap between the star players and average guys, baseball does.
I think what makes the baseball union powerful is that it was formed when only very few players got paid, so there was more unity. Not to mention players in baseball have the ability to go on strike.

These days MLB Union isnt as powerful as it once was. Baseball players know another work stoppage would kill the sport. I remember before 94 strike baseball was the most popular sport. Since then the NFL taken the baton as the most popular sport and lapped MLB.

Yes they did. Sure there were quite a few such as Kamara who weren't in favor. From what i heard those who were in favor of deal were mainly younger or lower paid players. NFL bumped up min. wage a good bit for those players.

It's called winning through manipulation. Offer those in the worst position a bone that costs you nothing so they think you actually care about them rather than realize you are simply trying to manipulate them into a permanently bad position.

The new 17 game regular season, will still be 20 "games" long. Instead on four pre-season games, in 2021 there will be only three pre-season games. My guess is that the league will still have each team with ten home games. Since the Saints are on the road for nine regular season games, it is very likely that the Saints will get two home pre-season "games" and will play one pre-season "game" on the road.

Pre-season games are an ABSOLUTE joke for Season Ticket Holders. Very likely this year the Season Ticket Holders of the Saints will still pay for ten home games, but the breakdown will be eight regular season games and two pre-season games. For teams with the extra home regular season game, the fans will likely only have to pay for one practice game.

The total number of "games" being the same, does not offset for the players the extra regular season game, but for the Season Ticket Holders of the teams "lucky" enough to get two home pre-season games, it is a farce as well. The NFL should play pre-season games in the "emerging markets" and save their season ticket holder fans the nuisance of having to pay for those games.

I hear this all the time on here. Can you tell me what the players care about besides the fame and wealth they can achieve by playing in the NFL?
World class food
5 star lodging
Free travel on private jets
Elite training
Free insurance and therapeutic treatment
Pension
Brotherhood
Free gear
Chance to win a championship
Time away from their spouse????

I’m fine with 17 games, as long as 2 pre-season games are eliminated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom