am i the only one that is worried (1 Viewer)

Gremillion J

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
about colston?? and possibly our new pickup vilma..

remember lecharles bentley.. our FO said that they were talking to bentley and trying to make him stay.. but bentley came out and said, that he hasnt even talked to the saints...

i think the same thing is gonna happen to colston.. benson will probably be cheap, and not resign him..

and vilma.. after this season he is a free agent.

same with smith, but i think he will be gone.

There is zero chance Colston isn't resigned. We have a great track record of locking up our key players since Loomis took over. Theres also little chance we traded for Vilma with no intentions of resigning him if he stays healthy. That would make no sense.

Bentley was a special case. He was unhappy here, had serious problems with Haz, and he was going to be the top payed lineman in the NFL at the time. Vilma nor Colston will break the bank, although they will be payed extremely well.

remember lecharles bentley.. our FO said that they were talking to bentley and trying to make him stay.. but bentley came out and said, that he hasnt even talked to the saints...

i think the same thing is gonna happen to colston.. benson will probably be cheap, and not resign him..

And Benson has exactly what to do with Colston's salary? Last time I checked, that was dictated by the salary cap and the league averages. I don't think Mickey Loomis would have a problem with paying a top 15 WR top 15 (or even top 10) salary. If Colston should want an unreasonable salary, that's his problem, not Loomis'.

If anything goes wrong in the Colston negotiations, and I don't think there would be any problem, we would slap the tap on him, then attempt to throw a massive deal at him.
The way contracts are going, make him a top 10 paid WR now and in 5 years he won't even be in the top 30.

We have cap space and in the last few years we have concentrated on keeping our players from leaving rather than going after big signings. I believe that Colston will definitely get a new contract and Vilma will probably get one depending on how training camp and the beginning of the season goes. I believe that Vilma will have a new contract by mid-season if things are going well.

I have no idea why people keep saying Benson's cheap when it comes to re-signing players. They didn't pay big $$$ to Bentley because they didn't feel he was worth it. We paid big $$ to Grant, we didn't hesitate to draft bush knowing full well he was going to command a huge payday, and we gave Brees what was, at the time, a big deal for a guy whose shoulder was in question. Deuce got his payday, too.

I could go on, but the point is that this "myth" that Benson doesn't want to pay players is just that: a myth. We don't pay big $$$ for marginal FA's because it puts you in cap trouble, not because we're cheap.

I have no idea why people keep saying Benson's cheap when it comes to re-signing players. They didn't pay big $$$ to Bentley because they didn't feel he was worth it. We paid big $$ to Grant, we didn't hesitate to draft bush knowing full well he was going to command a huge payday, and we gave Brees what was, at the time, a big deal for a guy whose shoulder was in question. Deuce got his payday, too.

I could go on, but the point is that this "myth" that Benson doesn't want to pay players is just that: a myth. We don't pay big $$$ for marginal FA's because it puts you in cap trouble, not because we're cheap.

I couldn't agree more. Also, looking at past lists of league payroll, the Saints are always in the top half. When you stop to think the Saints are a small market team, I feel that is a pretty positive reflection of the ownership.

I don't know how anyone who has watched this team over the past few offseasons could even come to this opinion.

Loomis has done a tremendous job locking up key players. Obviously, there's a ceiling and we won't overpay to keep someone(i.e. Faine). As for Bentley, he wanted out and he wanted too much money. The guy was just an above average center who was paid like the League's best. He hasn't played a down since he got that overblown contract. Shrewd move by our FO if you ask me.

Err Wut?? I think Drew Breez is going to Leeve.

i was just looking at all 30 WR's drafted in the Colston draft and I do not see a single wr I would take over Colston. Hopefully we have a few hits like that in this draft.

exactly.. really dont' know how benson got tagged with being "cheap". with players.
he has given that credence with his dealings with the state,.. not with his players that perform.

Don't forget about Benson paying big money to sign Brees as well :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom