Am I the only one worried about our Inside LB position? (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
We basically have three 4-3 MLB's on the roster. Just because you are a 4-3 ILB doesnt automatically translate to a 3-4 backer. Only Vilma has experience in a 3-4 and he didnt excel there, nor is he a 3 down LB anymore. I think Lofton will excel there because he has shown the capablity to shed and maneuver through traffic. Hawthrone? I just dont know.

I know pass rush is high on the list, I agree, but ILB spot has me worried also.

Yes. The coaches have declared this to be your responsibility. They are going to trust their careers to you. Best wishes.

We basically have three 4-3 MLB's on the roster. Just because you are a 4-3 ILB doesnt automatically translate to a 3-4 backer. Only Vilma has experience in a 3-4 and he didnt excel there, nor is he a 3 down LB anymore. I think Lofton will excel there because he has shown the capablity to shed and maneuver through traffic. Hawthrone? I just dont know.

I know pass rush is high on the list, I agree, but ILB spot has me worried also.

Seriously we have like 100 MLB on the team and one of them has to learn the position
And u think lofton will excel. Vilma is a 2 down back
then we go 3rd down play nickel and or dime use one ilb

I think that there is a possibility that Lofton could be a washout at MLB and just as much of a liability in coverage in the 3-4 as in the 4-3. I wish that they had retained Cassilas, I'm not very confident of any of the remaining ILBs on the roster to play at a high level other than Martez wilson..

Yes. The coaches have declared this to be your responsibility. They are going to trust their careers to you. Best wishes.

These types of quotes are EXTREMELY ANNOYING I mean the whole point of the forum is to discuss: debate argue agree

But I mean I can get my 3 ur old niece to say oh u don't know what the coaches know, oh u are not Mickey loomis or Sean Payton

Thank you captain obvious

Seriously we have like 100 MLB on the team and one of them has to learn the position
100 mlb? What? We have 4 of them, and none is a sure thing in a 3-4

100 mlb? What? We have 4 of them, and none is a sure thing in a 3-4

Exaggerate 1. To represent as greater than is actually the case; overstate:
I know but I doubt with this cap and 2 former pro bowl ilb and one who made a name for himself at ilb before signing with the saints. they should find one that sticks especially with this cap

Im confident in Wilson and no one else at this point. I can see the team drafting an ILB for insurance.

I would feel confident in the group if we signed someone like McClain. Lofton, Hawthorne, Vilma (nickel), McClain (enforcer), with Wilson rotating between OLB and ILB. Hopefully focusing more at ILB where he can start.

This is about right.

We need depth however.

really of all the spots I am worried about, this is far down the list
#1 OT
#2 OLB
#3 Safeties
#4 CBs especially slot cb
#5 back up QB/another TE/how the inside lbs work out

First, Vilma played in a similar 3-4/4-3 hybrid scheme under Gregg Williams and had several great years. He was not a great fit for the Jets old scheme because it was a traditional 3-4 that exposed the WILB. That is not the case for the WILB in the 1 gap scheme that Ryan uses. Second, Hawthorne played WILB in a similar system in Seattle. Third, the SILB spot in Ryan's 3-4 is basically the same as the MLB spot in a 4-3 and that is the position Lofton has excelled at. Finally, Martez Wilson played ILB in a similar 3-4/4-3 hybrid at Illinois. We are fine at ILB.

What we really don't have is a guy who can play SLB. Wilson may be that guy, but I don't think that's a certainty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom