am i the only one (1 Viewer)

deuce4pres

Drew Dat!
Reaction score
While I appreciate the mock drafts that have been posted here, Im a little skeptical of some of the comments made about these mock drafts. I wonder if a lot of people on here dont realize that we do not have one single starting caliber CB on this team for next year, let alone the upcoming Chicago game. I would love to see us draft a LB, but we should spend our first two or three picks on CB's if we dont get any in FA. McKenzie said himself that he won't be back til '09. Just a thought

While I appreciate the mock drafts that have been posted here, Im a little skeptical of some of the comments made about these mock drafts. I wonder if a lot of people on here dont realize that we do not have one single starting caliber CB on this team for next year, let alone the upcoming Chicago game. I would love to see us draft a LB, but we should spend our first two or three picks on CB's if we dont get any in FA. McKenzie said himself that he won't be back til '09. Just a thought

dude if you spent your first 3 draft picks on one position you would be considered the worst GM in the history of the NFL, probably in the history of all sports period......seriously, this post just made my night... lol

and in case you forgot we do have usama young, a young corner.... so u just wanna throw in 2 rookie CB's and one with 1 game starting experience??

we need immediate help. it usually takes a couple of years for a corner to get up to speed in the nfl. the draft won't help us quick enough. we need veterans that can step in right away. a rook cb would just be a project.

There is ample proof that great players can come from later rounds in the draft.

If the Saints have scouts that are capable of spotting players who have the physical tools to be good at the DB positions (even if they may be from smaller colleges), then it may be that we don't need our top few picks to get the players we need.

It's not like we've hit the jackpot that often with our first picks anyway.

Gimme a 'diamond in the rough' guy like Colston any day! So many college boys are a roll of the dice anyway.

I wonder how many NFL players were actually chosen by a coin flip. :scratch:

yes we need to bring in a couple of corners, but if there's a linebacker available that will be a major contributor we need that too. i won't be upset if we take dan connor, keith rivers, or by some miracle land laurenitis

dude if you spent your first 3 draft picks on one position you would be considered the worst GM in the history of the NFL, probably in the history of all sports period......seriously, this post just made my night... lol

and in case you forgot we do have usama young, a young corner.... so u just wanna throw in 2 rookie CB's and one with 1 game starting experience??

We have craft and david, both of whom have starting experience. The sad thing is that they are not starting caliber CB's. We need to use at least use two of our first three if we don't get a FA. Or we could let Payton get "laughed at" for not going after CB's and have our secondary torn to pieced every game next year, just like they did this year. We need at least two CB's

we need immediate help. it usually takes a couple of years for a corner to get up to speed in the nfl. the draft won't help us quick enough. we need veterans that can step in right away. a rook cb would just be a project.

Ever heard of Anthony Cromartie--9 ints this year--only in his second year:hihi:

Never rely on the draft to fill starting roles. That's what Free Agency is for. Use the draft to get talent, preferably in areas of weakness.

That said, we should try to get a starting CB in FA and also draft a CB at some point in the first 3 rounds.

3 rookie CBs are supposed to shore up our secondary????

This is an interesting post because we happen to have an instance in NFL history where exactly that happened.

In 1999 the Green Bay Packers selected 3 college cornerbacks with their top 3 draft picks, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder.

The top 2 draft picks they took, Antuan Edwards (1st round) and Fred Vinson (2nd round) were almost total busts in the NFL. Edwards started a couple of seasons before disappearing, Vinson never did anything at all. The third pick however was a big success in the NFL. Our own Mike McKenzie.

So who was this "worst GM in the history of the NFL" who not only took 3 CBs with his first 3 picks in the 1999 draft but actually completely whiffed on the first 2 of them (and therefore arguably "got lucky" with McKenzie since he clearly favored two busts over MM)?

None other then the legendary GM Ron Wolf.

This should put a lot of different things in perspective for a lot of different people.

* This, by the way, was a direct result of an "arms race" between Minnesota and Green Bay. Minnesota had just acquired Randy Moss (to go with Cris Carter and then-solid Jake Reed) in 1998 and had swept the Packers that year.

* Ted Thompson almost repeated Ron Wolf's feat in 2004. Thompson took 2 CBs with his top 2 picks drafting Ahmad Carroll in the 1st and Joey Thomas (from Montana St.) in the 3rd round. The Packers didn't have a 2nd round pick that year. As you probably realized, both were total busts as well despite Thompson being considered a very succesful General Manager on the whole.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Following up on Spam's post. picking three players in the same position early in the draft or with your first several picks hardly makes one a bad GM. Being able to identify talent and the needs of one's team would seem to be one of the best characteristics of a competent GM. If it happens that Loomis determines after free agency that the best talent available on the first day of the draft are secondary players and they would fill team needs, then I would be all for it.

I am not suggesting that it would turn out as well for the Saints, but in 1981 Bill Walsh took two CBs and a safety with three of his first four picks and another secondary player in the fifth round. The 49ers' 1981 draft (omitting traded picks):

(April 28-29, 1981)
(Drafted alternately 8-10)
1. LOTT, RONNIE
DB, 6-0, 199, USC

2. HARTY, JOHN
(Choice from Washington)
DT, 6-4, 253, Iowa

2. WRIGHT, ERIC
(Choice from Chicago)
DB, 6-1, 180, Missouri

3. WILLIAMSON, CARLTON
DB, 6-0, 204, Pittsburgh

5. THOMAS, LYNN
DB, 5-11, 181, Pittsburgh

Lott, Wright and Williamson started in their first season. Of course, the 49ers were pretty good in the 80's and Walsh picked some other good players -- Roger Craig (1983), Jerry Rice (1985) -- but the thing that made their defense solid was the drafting of three starting secondary players in the first three rounds of the 1981 draft.

OTOH, if the Saints are unable to secure starting upgrades on defense at LB and in the secondary, I wouldn't be upset if they took a key LB before making a run at several CBs/Ss on the first day of the draft.

When did MM say that?

just wait until Usama young play this week it should changed our outlook on the draft

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom