Saints Am I wrong for feeling this way about the Mike T situation? (1 Viewer)

It seems like most star WRs decline due to injury or subpar play after they get their post-breakout season paydays

I think Calvin Johnson, Terrell Owens, Larry Fitzgerald, and Hopkins are the only 2000s WRs to maintain elite play after signing big contracts. AJ Green, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown, and Demaryius Thomas all began declining or became average and fizzled out after their big extensions. It looks like CGM is headed in the same direction.

I feel like Mike is a good guy, look at what he does for the community/his charity work plus you don't hear any nonsense w/ him (personally). He seems like an ambivert who may live in his own head at times and when this happens there is a tendency to over-analyze things too much.

From his pt of view, coach's offensive plays may not put him in all the positions he would like. We don't know if they have discussed this and coach may dismiss Mike which then goes into the 2nd issue, the thought of not being seen as one of the greatest WRs to ever do it/winning a Championship. Also, I feel he's just going to miss Drew b/c he may have felt the closest to him in the locker room. I never see Mike w/ other players off the field. I don't really even know who he is close to other than Drew which is surprising since there are tons of Ohio State guys who play w/ us.

Hate to admit I'm with the skeptics. Hate that we just signed him to a big money deal because this seems like an ugly divorce waiting to happen. He let us down BIG-time when we needed him most. On top of throwing a punch and the questionable tweets, he's got a lot or proving to do.

Just put him on IR already so I can forget about him for awhile.
Here's to hoping the young guns step up at wr . Training camp is gonna be a battle

I know its still fresh and now Coach SP has let his frustration be known about how he felt about Mike T waiting to get the surgery done. I feel like hey aint nothing we can do about it now and this horse will get beat to death and nothing will change. We can be frustrated (which I am still sore about) but at this moment whats done is done. We just have to see how this plays out until Mike is healthy enough to come back. Am I wrong? 🤷🏾‍♂️
I don't think you're wrong for not falling for all the drama. I'd like to know the full story before feeling some type of way about it. MT could have been a hard head about getting surgery, and the doctors could have missed diagnosed the severity of his injury. We don't know yet. All we know is that Payton is frustrated because he wants all his horses ready, and that frustration could be with anyone involved in the situation. But we also know that MT is a hard worker, and he loves to compete. We should just appreciate those qualities for now and focus more on the young talent we have on the roster.

Remember when nearly everyone on this board wanted to trade Kamara 2 seasons ago?? The average fan knows very little about what actually goes on yet we love to jump to conclusions. Me included.

MT or someone made a big mistake here. IMO give him a chance to heal up and come back before deciding to move on. It's not like we have any other good receivers anyway.

Why do the divas all seem to be WR’s?
It’s the one position in football (except maybe kicker/punter) that can just think about themselves and their own game. They aren’t reliant on communicating with anyone other than the QB. The team part of football can fade to the background and it lets the WR make a lot of the offense about themselves.

ESPN will show highlights for days of big touchdowns or flashy catches from a WR, but they aren’t going to show if a WR pulls up on a route or matador blocks a DB. Most other positions will have their mistakes as part of a highlight reel, but as long as a WR doesn’t drop a critical pass they don’t get the negative press. A WR has a lot of public ego boosting potential with little to no publicly humbling moments.

The position has the perfect conditions for a runaway ego.

I guess we will find out if Thomas is the real deal or not this season

We're not mad that he got the surgery, is more about the timing of it. Like you said, there's no point of stressing about the past. We just have to strive forward. been successful without Thomas before & we can do it again. But there should be no excuses on Michael Thomas's part of coming a immediate gamechanger upon his return. However, I do feel like he is one more distraction away from getting traded. He cannot get a ring by himself

Last edited:
I feel like Mike is a good guy, look at what he does for the community/his charity work plus you don't hear any nonsense w/ him (personally). He seems like an ambivert who may live in his own head at times and when this happens there is a tendency to over-analyze things too much.

From his pt of view, coach's offensive plays may not put him in all the positions he would like. We don't know if they have discussed this and coach may dismiss Mike which then goes into the 2nd issue, the thought of not being seen as one of the greatest WRs to ever do it/winning a Championship. Also, I feel he's just going to miss Drew b/c he may have felt the closest to him in the locker room. I never see Mike w/ other players off the field. I don't really even know who he is close to other than Drew which is surprising since there are tons of Ohio State guys who play w/ us.
I think the reason why Mike adored and esteemed Drew so highly is because of Drew’s equally maniacal drive. No one one the team but Drew seemed to match Mike’s intensity, all time talent and love for perfecting his craft. Mike saw an equal in Drew in terms of motor and ability.

I’m not saying the other 51 guys didn’t love the game or weren’t devoted to honing their skills. I am saying that maybe the other guys could live with not being the absolute best at their respective position. That they could sleep peacefully as long as they did enough to win their matchups most of the time.

Mike is one of those guys whose motor never shifts into park. He internalizes everything and explodes into action. That is what you want on the field but not necessarily in every other capacity in life. I believe Drew was a bit of a manual to him for how to be driven for greatness, while still being a complete person away from the game.

Mike just needs to recalibrate and find an anchor for his emotions and his drive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom