Announcement AMA with TCUDan, August 10 (Today): Starts NOW (1 Viewer)

Wanted to tag onto this question. What are your thoughts on using a big dime formation by subbing in one of our safeties to give Pete or Davis a rest? Besides the obvious weakness to 12, 22 personnel packages could this be effective?

Big Nickel:
CB1: Lattimore
CB2: Adebo
Slot: Roby/Taylor
LB1: Davis
LB2: CGJ (Could rotate through any of the safeties here as desired)
FS: Maye
SS: Matthieu
I mean we'll definitely see packages like this (with William often being that 6th DB, depending on the personnel)... but likely not in base 1st/2nd down.

Dan, really enjoy your responses and insights. Can you give your thoughts on the WR room. Seems like we have great depth and competition and looks like there will be some tough cuts in the next few weeks!
I am extremely excited about the WR room, probably more than I've ever been as a Saints fan. Not just due to the quality of the personnel, but the complimentary nature of the players. The top 3--MT, Landry, and Olave--all bring a different skillset to the table, and all ridiculously good in terms of their skills.

Assuming the Saints keep 6 WRs, there will be some tough decision to make at the bottom of the depth chart. Harty, Callaway, and TQS all deserve to make this team. But then you have players like Kirk Merritt, Rashid Shaheed, and Dai'Jean Dixon, who can all play in this league. I think of those last three, Dixon is probably the easiest to sneak onto the practice squad because he's still pretty raw and doesn't have the same special teams value as the other two. Shaheed, maybe because he's still limited by injury. But if Kirk Merritt plays in preseason like he has in camp, I doubt he clears waivers.

In short: this is a great problem to have.

My 9 yr old started football this year. Carries alot of size so he will be on the line. What are 2 or 3 of the best drills we can do at home to increase his explosiveness off the line? Right now he's playing alot of left/right guard but they have tried him on D line too. He knocks kids around but he needs that explosion on the snap.

Should we be concerned about our LB room? I thought it was solid with Werner but we keep signing LBs. Should we draft DD's future replacement in the next couple of years?
I think people are a little too worried about the LB room. Werner is really underrated for some reason, and Davis isn't slowing down yet. You always have to replace players, but none of that is a concern for this season (and I doubt the coaches are thinking beyond that).

Peat is who he is. You can't really punish a player just for being injured. I don't see anyone on the roster who is going to push him.

Davenport isn't remotely on the hot seat in terms of snaps. He is a serious impact player. I don't think Payton Turner is a challenge at this point (especially given he has injury issues of his own) and while I like Granderson, he is NOT on Davenport's level. I mean, the dude had his finger amputated.

I think the big takeaway here is that while injuries to one player do offer an opportunity for other players to step up and earn more snaps, injuries are NOT, in and of themselves, a reason to be down on a player--no matter how frustrating they be for fans.

Worth remembering that football is an unbelievably phsyical sport, and the guys who avoid injuries are typically just plain lucky more than anything.
Yes true. Some people needs to stay away from any injury report. Too many playing armchair doctors when news of any injuries. I get it is frustrating to hear key players not playing or practicing but still. Even some of these injuries during camp are taken more seriously and overly cautious from team. That's why some players are held out longer. If this was game day, most would play. Camp time is for the next guy to shine if given the opportunities.

For a Nascar package who would you line up where?
The Nascar package is their 3rd down/speed rush package on defense right (sorry, not familiar with the terminology)? If that's the case, I think it's easily Davenport, Jordan, and Turner.

Shaheed. Should he shine in limited action as a PR, KR, and WR… how much would that shake things up?
If he's healthy, then yes I do. In terms of how it would shake things up, he's competing for Harty's role, so I doubt much. I mean, maybe they keep on the active roster as a non-activated player week to week to not lose him. But unless something happens to Harty I can't see him playing a big role this season. Best case, Saints can sneak him onto the practice squad, and if/when Harty gets banged up, they can activate him (as they have with other players in the past).

That is unless, of course, he just absolutely tears it up in the preseason

Also, do you think Kirk Merritt's chances of being on the final roster are better than even? He can bring some scheme versatility and fit that wideback role Deebo does in SF.
Man, I love Merritt... I just don't know. I think it comes down to a numbers game. Unless the Saints go really WR heavy (I'm talking 7 WRs), he's gonna have to supplant either Callaway, Harty, or TQS. All of them know the offense, and none of them come with the off-field/character issues.

I definitely think it's possible, especially if he performs in the preseason like he has in camp. Maybe the Saints find someone who's willing to trade a late-round pick for Callaway or TQS. In terms of the Deebo comparisons, I don't know if I'm there yet with Merritt. He still has a long way to go, but the physical skills are definitely there. Dude is a freak.

I think a lot of these question regarding certain undrafted players making wave in training camp really depends on what they do in preseason game. They need to show up regardless of how well they are doing in camp. So many players in the past had done very well, "camp beast" but failed to show much of anything in preseason games.
Yes. Exactly.

Ideally, what would the contract for CGJ look like?
:shrug:

All I can really say is it depends on how the Saints/CGJ & his agent choose to define him. Are you gonna pay him as a CB? A safety? A nickel?

If you say nickel, then you're looking at the top paid #3 CBs? That's gonna be lower than he wants, I'd imagine. Plus, he takes way more snaps.

In my mind, you're paying him as a top 5-10 safety. But I have no idea how' they're gonna work that out--I just hope that they do.

I guess it was more about Davenport getting a new contract or Peat being traded next offseason
Yeah in that case, it could definitely affect his contract. In terms of Peat, I don't know about him being traded. Maybe being released if he has a big cap number that his performance doesn't justify.

Copy/paste from the same question in an earlier post:

I like Eric Wilson a ton as a backup at Will and Kaden Ellis has looked good. I think we're OK in terms of depth and definitely wouldn't start panicking. The biggest issue right now is that D'Marco Jackson is injured.

Remember that the Saints typically just play 2 LBs in their base defense.

Also, a lot was made about not re-signing Kwon Alexander, but I said from the beginning that I thought that was more Kwon's decision. My hunch is that he preferred to go somewhere where he was more featured (rather than splitting time with Werner) and thus would get more money.

It's hard to convince a starter to come play for you as a backup if they have starter opportunities elsewhere.
Right now the concern is we have a bunch of unproven players at linebackers. With Werner still dealing with a groin injury, there aren't guys on that roster that provide us with much confidence. Yes we have guys like Ellis and vet like Wilson. But those names don't jump out as "we will be fine". Still not panicking because we don't know until we start to play some games. But it is concerning a little.

My 9 yr old started football this year. Carries alot of size so he will be on the line. What are 2 or 3 of the best drills we can do at home to increase his explosiveness off the line? Right now he's playing alot of left/right guard but they have tried him on D line too. He knocks kids around but he needs that explosion on the snap.
Well first of all, just staying safe and always keeping his head up. Have him come out of his stance with his eyes on your chest (squat down and hold up your fingers at chest level, have him call out the number of fingers as he fires out)

Beyond that, first step, hands, leg drive. DM me and I'll send you some stuff (just give me a couple days if I don't answer right away).

I'm happy for your son!

Are the Saints more focused on running ball this year like they did in 2017? I ask because I look at the type of backs they targeted in FA and all of them between the tackle runners instead of backs like Sproles/Bush.
I've said this before, but I think the Saints offense will most resemble 2009. Balanced, but a lot of passing early to get ahead and then running the ball late to close things out (with a lot more shots down the field).

In terms of the types of backs they targeted, I think it was more just the quality of who was available.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom